Attnention: Ever been down a dragstrip?? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Attnention: Ever been down a dragstrip??

I beg to differ. Brought my track bike down last year and they pulled me when it got dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Was that a test and tune night? Different nights different rules? Who knows? But I was allowed to run after dark.

To run at night u need a tail light. I'd be in to go once warm

I didn't have a tail light when I was doing night time T&T at St Thomas. That said St Thomas seams pretty lax for test and tune.

The tech inspection was little more than "is that a motorcycle?", "yes", "here's your number"

No I mean if you crash how do you get home? CAA?

Lots of tow truck places have flatbeds... be pretty easy to load up your wreck on there. Plan would be to not crash and wreck though...

I posted this thread to see if I can generate some positive feedback on what it will take to get more riders out to try drag racing for the first time or others who have not been out in a long time. As far as gear needed. If you ride your bike on the street you more than likely have the minimum gear. I know there are a lot of members on Gta Motorcycle that have always wanted to try it but haven't. I would like to hear what's preventing you from coming out. Any new ideas you feel would promote the sport feel free to post them...Thanks

Why not have a GTAM day and offer some kind of discount for it? I bet that would generate interest. Be cool to get a discount and meet some people from the forums.

Test and tunes are already pretty cheap, $20 - $30 ... I think we should just set a date for a test-and-tune and just do it.

By the time this happens, I'll have a van plus a trailer and could haul my bike plus three more from northwest GTA if needed.

Would this be Cayuga or St Thomas?

I can vouch for St Thomas being pretty laid back but haven't been to Cayuga in, oh man it's literally decades.

I can vouch for St Thomas being pretty laid back but haven't been to Cayuga in, oh man it's literally decades.

The only thing you'll notice different at Cayuga is, they use water in the burnout box now instead of Javex.

Maybe we are on to something here....Have a GTAM day...I know Cayuga have a bike only event and maybe we can make it more of a test n tune event with more emphasis on fun. Offer some instruction and tips etc as part of the event!

St Thomas had pretty much no tech with Mathers owned it.

I saw a twin engine Golf (VR6 up front and in the back seat) pass tech when the guy looked at it, wrote teh numbers on the windshield and said "I didn't see this car." :lmao:

Hopefully I can answer a few of the questions/comments listed.
If your bike is legal for the street and will pass a (legit) safety then you shouldn't have a problem passing tech.
Like Glenn mentioned, depending on how fast you go the minimum requirement clothing wise is leather jacket, leather gloves, Snell (2005 I think) approved helmet and boots/shoes that cover the ankles. Keep in mind safety come first, both yours and others so make sure your bike is safe and wear proper clothing.
Chain guard is important because I would rather see the chain shoot out the back then wrap around a leg. If your racing at night you are required to have a tailight so they can see where you are when your down track. Lots of red LED battery operated lights out there as a cheap option. You may not think they care about you but they will not send another vehicle down the track if they are unsure you may still be in the way.
Drag racing can be a lot of fun, especially if you have any competitiveness in you at all. When we go there are usually few of us in our group and it is always a great time.
If your a beginner (or not) just stop by our trailers and say hi. We are always more than willing to answer questions and give a hand. We have all been there before and want to see the sport grow.

I posted this thread to see if I can generate some positive feedback on what it will take to get more riders out to try drag racing for the first time or others who have not been out in a long time. As far as gear needed. If you ride your bike on the street you more than likely have the minimum gear. I know there are a lot of members on Gta Motorcycle that have always wanted to try it but haven't. I would like to hear what's preventing you from coming out. Any new ideas you feel would promote the sport feel free to post them...Thanks

As someone who will try for a first time this year, I'll say that people are held back because:

- They think it's expensive
- They think they need a top-of-the-line suit
- They think difficult preparation or equipment (stands, warmers, etc.) is needed
- They think fast times are required / expected of them
- They are afraid of crashing
- General intimidation

If myths like these can be cleared up (some youtube vids, perhaps), I would expect many new riders out.
Cya there!

As someone who will try for a first time this year, I'll say that people are held back because:

- They think it's expensive
- They think they need a top-of-the-line suit
- They think difficult preparation or equipment (stands, warmers, etc.) is needed
- They think fast times are required / expected of them
- They are afraid of crashing
- General intimidation

If myths like these can be cleared up (some youtube vids, perhaps), I would expect many new riders out.
Cya there!

Expense varies on the level of racing you want to participate in. Test and Tune is a 'run what you brung' deal. These are held Wed and Fri evenings and some weekends. No disqualifications, no pressure, just seat time and practice.

I always recommend leathers because well.....**** happens, but mishaps are very rare and you are racing to your capabilities. Impress yourself and +#@& everyone else. Whether your at a track or ride on the street buy a good helmet and gloves at least. You have probably heard the saying "got a $10 head, buy a $10 helmet".

As far as special equipment, most of the cars and bikes I have raced have been stock or slightly modified and have been driven to the track and back home. No trophies to brag about but lots of good times and memories.

(God I hope I'm not going to ginx myself) I have been racing for 30 years and have never crashed. Not saying I haven't come close a time or two but race within your capabilities, be cautious and experience will come. I have had 4 friends get hurt on the street in one summer, even lost one to street racing on a bike but not at the track.

The first vehicle I raced was a car at age 15. It went a blistering 18.1 seconds but it started out running 18.5 ....... and the improvement in one day felt great.

Maybe we are on to something here....Have a GTAM day...I know Cayuga have a bike only event and maybe we can make it more of a test n tune event with more emphasis on fun. Offer some instruction and tips etc as part of the event!

I think that's a great idea. Count me in!

This sounds like an absolute blast, but the things holding me back would be, first and foremost, not knowing a THING about it. I think that it would be crazy intimidating for someone who's never been to do it solo. A gtam day with a bunch of other noobs would probably be helpful in giving some people the confidence that they need to pull the trigger.
Other than that, I'd feel more comfortable if I could speak to a more seasoned drag racer when I got there. Get info on protocol, etiquette, proper launch technique etc. I don't want to burn my clutch out and run a 15 but I also don't want to get too excited and loop it lol.
And then I suppose the last issue is gear. I have a DOT (non-snell) helmet. Is that enough or is snell mandatory? I have a leather jacket and leather shorty gloves, proper SMX-5 boots, but only mesh overpants. Is a leather jacket mandatory or is textile acceptable?

I honestly think that if you put up a date and had one or two people available as 'mentors' to really walk noobs through the whole process you will have the most success.

Definitely agree with the above post. While having raced cars for a long time I know bikes are a whole different ball game. The launch is intimidating knowing that you're not on the street and it's more likely to really stick. I'd be all for a noob day with experienced people there to talk to as well. That video was good. I'd be happy with a mid to high 11 my first time too :thumbup:

Hopefully I can answer a few of the questions/comments listed.
If your bike is legal for the street and will pass a (legit) safety then you shouldn't have a problem passing tech.
Like Glenn mentioned, depending on how fast you go the minimum requirement clothing wise is leather jacket, leather gloves, Snell (2005 I think) approved helmet and boots/shoes that cover the ankles. Keep in mind safety come first, both yours and others so make sure your bike is safe and wear proper clothing.
Chain guard is important because I would rather see the chain shoot out the back then wrap around a leg. If your racing at night you are required to have a tailight so they can see where you are when your down track. Lots of red LED battery operated lights out there as a cheap option. You may not think they care about you but they will not send another vehicle down the track if they are unsure you may still be in the way.
Drag racing can be a lot of fun, especially if you have any competitiveness in you at all. When we go there are usually few of us in our group and it is always a great time.
If your a beginner (or not) just stop by our trailers and say hi. We are always more than willing to answer questions and give a hand. We have all been there before and want to see the sport grow.

So I can run at 300km/h at mosport without a chain guard, but I need one to go down a drag strip? It is the first thing I take off and throw away, so I can cleary see how the chain is sitting on the sprocket. If teeth not centred then chain is toast. Guess I'm out.

Back
Top Bottom