Attnention: Ever been down a dragstrip?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Attnention: Ever been down a dragstrip??

NEVER2OLD

I'm looking to see how many members on the GTA have always wanted to run there bike down a drag strip but never have. I'm looking for feedback on what it will take to get everyone out from the new riders to the experienced. Feel free to send personal messages or become active on this thread. This info will go a long way to making this years motorcycle event at Cayuga(TMP)a success...Thanks Glenn

Sorry, to old.

I used to go weekend camping at Cayuga and Grand bend, pay your fee, race all day. Tons of fun, at that time I was 155lbs on a 91 zx7r. I'd definitely be in for a day of fun. What's required for safety gear these days?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd love to go but all the way to Cayuga for a few rubs isn't worth it. That and as we learned from the drag racing threads most of us don't have the balls or speak the lingo to fit in :rolleyes:

I'll be there this year... only reason I've never gone in the past is I didn't ride, and didn't have anything worthwhile taking there. I'm actually much more interested in track riding but I will definitely take it down the strip a few times to see what this old bike can do!

I'd love to go but all the way to Cayuga for a few rubs isn't worth it. That and as we learned from the drag racing threads most of us don't have the balls or speak the lingo to fit in :rolleyes:

All the way to Cayuga? Do you live in Timmins? And a few rubs? Every time I went I ran a minimum of 10 times down the strip. Great fun. If you've never been how do you know something isn't worth it?

For me big wheelie machines will give the worst times (comparatively) but are the most fun trying to control.

It's a blast. Everybody should go at least once in their life.

Its cheap, few tech requirements, no special skills needed and a great night out.

Want to go but never bothered to look over the tech requirements or where it is.

I would go if I could do a few runs and get back to Toronto before sundown (don't want wildlife crossing the highway).

All the way to Cayuga? Do you live in Timmins? And a few rubs? Every time I went I ran a minimum of 10 times down the strip. Great fun. If you've never been how do you know something isn't worth it?

For me big wheelie machines will give the worst times (comparatively) but are the most fun trying to control.

Actually I used to drag my car there in the 90s. It's over 2 hours away for me. So yes I've been there and many other tracks too. I tried it on my zx7 while living in Calgary too. While fun a four hour plus round trip for even ten runs at best isn't worth the effort to me more than maybe one time. Even then I doubt it.

Always wanted to try my bike

Have close to 700 passes in various cars, but none on a bike.

油井緋色;2139180 said:
Want to go but never bothered to look over the tech requirements or where it is.

I would go if I could do a few runs and get back to Toronto before sundown (don't want wildlife crossing the highway).

TMP is your closest choice. The Friday night test-and-tune won't finish in time to meet your (understandable!) time constraint, but there are occasional daytime test-and-tunes. Keep an eye on https://www.torontomotorsportspark.com/ - but the 2014 schedule is not out yet.

If you do a daytime one, get there early - preferably, when the gate opens. You'll be doing runs before half the car drivers even wake up.

As for tech - if you have a normal motorcycle, it has to have a chain guard, and it has to have brakes, and the tires need to have some tread depth left on them, and it has to not look like a falling-apart heap, that's pretty much it. If you are running after dark, it has to have something that will pass for a headlamp and taillamp. I've always used my full roadrace gear, but full leathers aren't needed unless you are going faster than a certain amount (I would use them regardless).

If you have an abnormal motorcycle, and you plan on going quicker than 10 seconds or faster than 135 mph in the quarter, it's a different story - but for folks who have not done it before, that's unlikely the first time out. My ZX10R was borderline with the 135 mph threshold, but no way was I coming close to 10 seconds, due to crap launches (which was partly me not wanting to break the bike, because I relied on it to get home).

I'd give it a go. Would be a fun ride up there, regardless.

My bike won't exactly be setting any land speed records lol

It's a fun night out for 20 bucks, make the ride there and back part of the experience, I go with my Z06 once in a while but have been only once on my busa, when you see your time slip it may be humbling to some.

Highly recommend it! Did a few test and tune's at St Thomas and it was a blast.

Hope to get back this summer.

Come to Grand Bend for a weekend of SOAR roadracing....and Fri night run whatcha brung on the dragstrip- some of the SOAR roadracers dragrace too!

TMP is your closest choice. The Friday night test-and-tune won't finish in time to meet your (understandable!) time constraint, but there are occasional daytime test-and-tunes. Keep an eye on https://www.torontomotorsportspark.com/ - but the 2014 schedule is not out yet.

If you do a daytime one, get there early - preferably, when the gate opens. You'll be doing runs before half the car drivers even wake up.

As for tech - if you have a normal motorcycle, it has to have a chain guard, and it has to have brakes, and the tires need to have some tread depth left on them, and it has to not look like a falling-apart heap, that's pretty much it. If you are running after dark, it has to have something that will pass for a headlamp and taillamp. I've always used my full roadrace gear, but full leathers aren't needed unless you are going faster than a certain amount (I would use them regardless).

If you have an abnormal motorcycle, and you plan on going quicker than 10 seconds or faster than 135 mph in the quarter, it's a different story - but for folks who have not done it before, that's unlikely the first time out. My ZX10R was borderline with the 135 mph threshold, but no way was I coming close to 10 seconds, due to crap launches (which was partly me not wanting to break the bike, because I relied on it to get home).

No lights required after dark in St Thomas. I have an old Ford hubcap where the headlight should be and they let me run.......

No lights required after dark in St Thomas. I have an old Ford hubcap where the headlight should be and they let me run.......

I beg to differ. Brought my track bike down last year and they pulled me when it got dark.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pardon my ignorance but is the chain guard that plastic thing ontop of the chain with tire pressure stickers...? I've always wondered how that piece of plastic would guard against a chain launching out.

油井緋色;2139330 said:
Pardon my ignorance but is the chain guard that plastic thing ontop of the chain with tire pressure stickers...? I've always wondered how that piece of plastic would guard against a chain launching out.

Relevant or effective or not ... it has to be there! It's seemingly the only thing TMP tech checks for. The tech inspectors seem to know everything that needs to be there on a car, but a bike apparently befuddles them.

Back
Top Bottom