8:30-5 pm free parking in downtown core? | GTAMotorcycle.com

8:30-5 pm free parking in downtown core?

Hi all. I'm wondering if you commute on a motorcycle into the downtown core, are there any places to park a bike legally all day for free? Yonge and king area preferred but I'm willing to walk a ways if it means I get to bike :)

Not sure if things have changed, but pay and display street parking was free for motorcycles last I checked. So anywhere you could pay to park your car for the day on the street, you can park the bike for free. Someone correct me if I'm wrong though, it's been a long winter, and things could have changed (doubt it).

Yes, most streets are limited to 3 hours, and I have no idea which aren't, but the limits are no different than for a car, so if you *could* park your car there all day for a fee, then you could park your bike all day for free. Someone else will have to chime in to give you a specific street. Maybe go for a cruise in the area some weekend (you know, in a few months when the damn weather finally breaks) and see what's there for parking signs.

I thought that was a max of 3 hours at a time...I could be wrong as well! It has been a long winter!

I think this is true, but not sure how much its enforced. I parked with a bunch of other bikes in an area like this last summer, 2-3 days a week. Never had a problem. Obviously that doesn't mean you won't.

Any green P on street parking is free, but you still must adhere to the rules posted on the signs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hi all. I'm wondering if you commute on a motorcycle into the downtown core, are there any places to park a bike legally all day for free? Yonge and king area preferred but I'm willing to walk a ways if it means I get to bike :)

I just remembered there's plenty of parking on Victoria street, just a block east of yonge on king, on the north side.

I just remembered there's plenty of parking on Victoria street, just a block east of yonge on king, on the north side.

Not Victoria anymore, only disabled tag parking is allowed. Go the next street east to Toronto st, and it will be lined with bikes most of the time. It is a pay meter street so you can park there all day long.

The 3hr limit applies to all metered street parking, however I have never seen it enforced in many years. (knock on wood)

What you do have to pay attention to are the parking spots that are time restricted for rush hours. Those only allow parking during certain times and they will tow you when rush hour hits. A good example of this is is on Wellington Street between Scott and Yonge.

Find a side street (Like Scott Street, N. of Wellington) with metered parking and leave it all day. Bikes tend to congregate together, look on Google street view where you might like to park. Know your alternates as spots maybe full when you get there. They aren't hard to find.

Also don't park like and dick. Leave room for other bikes to stand their bikes up and be able to leave. Leave room for cars to get out of their spots so they don't knock you or someone else over or over into you.

This a all other parking questions should still be in the sticky re:free parking
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...nto-motorcycle-parking-exemptions-ammendments

The 3hr limit applies to all metered street parking, however I have never seen it enforced in many years. (knock on wood)

What you do have to pay attention to are the parking spots that are time restricted for rush hours. Those only allow parking during certain times and they will tow you when rush hour hits. A good example of this is is on Wellington Street between Scott and Yonge.

Find a side street (Like Scott Street, N. of Wellington) with metered parking and leave it all day. Bikes tend to congregate together, look on Google street view where you might like to park. Know your alternates as spots maybe full when you get there. They aren't hard to find.

Also don't park like and dick. Leave room for other bikes to stand their bikes up and be able to leave. Leave room for cars to get out of their spots so they don't knock you or someone else over or over into you.

This a all other parking questions should still be in the sticky re:free parking
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...nto-motorcycle-parking-exemptions-ammendments

Are there no 'unless otherwise posted' streets that allow more than 3 hours?

Front Street between bay and yonge is well used without time restrictions (I park there 645 am to 7pm without issue. Temperance between bay and yonge is also popular but there is lots of construction there now so may be unreliable.

Are there no 'unless otherwise posted' streets that allow more than 3 hours?

It's actually the opposite. If there is no signage, then the default time limit is 3 hours anywhere in Toronto. The area would specifically need to be otherwise signed.

It's actually the opposite. If there is no signage, then the default time limit is 3 hours anywhere in Toronto. The area would specifically need to be otherwise signed.

Yeah, what I meant is, are there no streets that *are* 'otherwise posted' to allow more than 3 hours.

I'm saying all green P street parking has a 3hr limit (it's printed right on the meters).

However, I have never seen said limit enforced. (knock on wood). Effectively giving "full day" parking.

I park 12hrs at a time sometimes.

I have only seen tickets & tows for parking at meters that do not allow parking during rush hours (as signed, e.g.-Wellington St E, between Scott & Yonge)

I'm saying all green P street parking has a 3hr limit (it's printed right on the meters).

However, I have never seen said limit enforced. (knock on wood). Effectively giving "full day" parking.

I park 12hrs at a time sometimes.

I have only seen tickets & tows for parking at meters that do not allow parking during rush hours (as signed, e.g.-Wellington St E, between Scott & Yonge)

There's one guy, in the downtown core, who is such a prolific ticketer that he's on the Sunshine List. He does the old school tire chalk mark.

On east side of Yonge try Toronto St., Temperance St.,( - but you have to be very early a.m., to get a spot now due to construction ) Victoria St., Lombard St., or over on West side on or near Simcoe St., I usually park downtown all day M to F and have found that if it's a legal parking spot, you should be able to reasonably squeeze in without issue. I once saw a bike that had been left knocked over, but that hasn't happened to me - yet. That's my biggest worry when occasionally forced to park in between cars - you need a spot surrounded by other bikes.
fwiw- I've never received a ticket for parking over 3 hrs, but I got hit with a $100.00 fine once for too close to a hydrant, but that was my own boneheadeness. If you give them a reason, like mirrors or fairing leaning on or over the parking line, they will ticket.

On east side of Yonge try Toronto St., Temperance St.,( - but you have to be very early a.m., to get a spot now due to construction ) Victoria St., Lombard St., or over on West side on or near Simcoe St., I usually park downtown all day M to F and have found that if it's a legal parking spot, you should be able to reasonably squeeze in without issue. I once saw a bike that had been left knocked over, but that hasn't happened to me - yet. That's my biggest worry when occasionally forced to park in between cars - you need a spot surrounded by other bikes.
fwiw- I've never received a ticket for parking over 3 hrs, but I got hit with a $100.00 fine once for too close to a hydrant, but that was my own boneheadeness. If you give them a reason, like mirrors or fairing leaning on or over the parking line, they will ticket.

I've had similar pain parking at the end of a section. If a sign says no parking to the left, your bike better not have any part of it to the left of the sign post. It's not "mostly to the right". If your mirror sticks past the sign post by 6", you'll probably get a ticket.

I've had words with both a TO city councillor and provincial MPP on the issue of parking.

The 3-hour time limit is province-wide. So even if you are in the Arctic circle and in an area with no signs at all for a thousand KM, you are still eligible for a ticket if there is someone there to write the ticket.

The MPP was not very supportive of my request to allow cities to set the times themselves.

So if you want to be TOTALLY 100% in compliance with city by laws etc etc, there is nowhere in the downtown core (or otherwise it sounds) that you can park a bike for free?

That kinda sucks for people wishing to commute without breaking the city by laws.

From the other thread it sounded like even the 3 hour privileges are in the process of going away.

Has anyone had any luck bargaining with private lots for cheap monthly bike space during daytime hours?

Back
Top Bottom