2014 Demo Days | Page 13 | GTAMotorcycle.com

2014 Demo Days

Having sat on the Goldwing at the last two Toronto Bike Shows, our friend, wife and I headed up to Team Honda Powerhouse of Milton for the Saturday July 26th "Rock The Red" demo rides to actually see first hand how it performed. My opinion of the Goldwing is as follows. (Not intended to offend any Goldwing Riders). Once I got used to the toe only shifting, (riding a cruiser with heel/toe), the Goldwing proved to be a well balanced power house of sheer comfort. The Team Honda leader took us on a virtually deserted circuit, where we could take the bikes through their paces. Loaded with my wife as passenger, it never missed a beat on hard acceleration or braking and was nimble in the corners. While it would do a great job as a long distance cruiser, (as demonstrated by it's popularity) it missed the mark for me as a contender for a move up bike, as it felt more like riding on a plush couch as opposed to the motorcycling I am used to.

Great rides today at honda in Milton! Lots of riders and bikes!

I called them a few days prior, asking if need to pre-book. He said no, to come around 9:30 and just sign up. I got there around 9:20, and the rides had already started and they were taking slots to 1-2pm, and only one bike, and not the bike I wanted (CB1000R). I guess they think we have all day to wait around.

While it would do a great job as a long distance cruiser, (as demonstrated by it's popularity) it missed the mark for me as a contender for a move up bike, as it felt more like riding on a plush couch as opposed to the motorcycling I am used to.

Those things are really about all day riding in a straight line, very long trips. Too close to a car, so I take a car.

Having sat on the Goldwing..... Loaded with my wife as passenger, it never missed a beat on hard acceleration or braking and was nimble in the corners.

I heard they like to keep the bikes in a relatively good state of tune for just those occasions.

Those things are really about all day riding in a straight line, very long trips. Too close to a car, so I take a car.

Cue yellow Goldwing Tail of the Dragon video........

I called them a few days prior, asking if need to pre-book. He said no, to come around 9:30 and just sign up. I got there around 9:20, and the rides had already started and they were taking slots to 1-2pm, and only one bike, and not the bike I wanted (CB1000R). I guess they think we have all day to wait around.
One of the biggest reasons i didn't go.... All day waiting to try a bike you might not like

One of the biggest reasons i didn't go.... All day waiting to try a bike you might not like

I told the salesman, Kawasaki takes pre-bookings, and if the person doesn't show, they give away the slot. That way, people who are organized come and try a bike without wasting time.
He looked at me like I was explaining a nuclear fission reactor.

Can't say I'm a fan of the Honda store, where bikes are sold like cars, right beside cars, by car people.

I told the salesman, Kawasaki takes pre-bookings, and if the person doesn't show, they give away the slot. That way, people who are organized come and try a bike without wasting time.
He looked at me like I was explaining a nuclear fission reactor.

Can't say I'm a fan of the Honda store, where bikes are sold like cars, right beside cars, by car people.
Did you ride any bike that day? How was the route, length?

Ya that ONE.

Most ToD crashes seem to be guys on sofas with the old lady.

dragoncrash.jpg

146_0706_01_z%2Brandom_crashes%2Bleft_rear_view.jpg

one can hustle with those large bikes, but you need a lot of training and understanding of cornering. I didn't write "experience", because years of riding doesn't make up for repeated mistakes.

I did some couch surfing in the early years.

they're not just meant for straightaways, here's my dad practicing for rock the red last year on a wing, he also took it through the Tail of the dragon as well

[video=youtube;pN8Dk4KpgFw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pN8Dk4KpgFw[/video]

Looks to be handling the bike really well... That scraping noise though... ugh

Lots of Demo Days this weekend

Friday
Yamaha Demo Day at Snow City

Saturday
Yamaha Demo Day at VOS Motors
Harley Demo Day at Jacox Harley
Suzuki Demo Day at Clare's Cycle

Sunday
Rock the Red Honda Campus in Markham

I might have missed a couple