1st Gen SV650 Build | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

1st Gen SV650 Build

I just picked up the tank from the powder coater. It turned out amazing:
IMG_20140603_152346.jpg

We'll see how it holds up, but I think going with a clear powder coat was a great idea. I should have the bike up and running by the end of the week.

I just picked up the tank from the powder coater. It turned out amazing:
IMG_20140603_152346.jpg

We'll see how it holds up, but I think going with a clear powder coat was a great idea. I should have the bike up and running by the end of the week.

If you are still going for the cafe racer style look, then I would have to agree too. Looks great dude.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

So I haven't posted in a little while, mostly because I was trying to get it rideable for this week. I finished it on Monday, enough to drive it to the shop.

Here's how it looked before riding it over:
IMG_20140609_123757.jpg

IMG_20140609_123740.jpg

WvEqNph8ei2HLm4CMrY2Hu8yQhR_ZBfZmxQ8BhOb56c=w684-h513-no

And here it is in the shop getting prepped for the next stage of mods:
IMG_20140611_102811.jpg

Mocking up the rear seat. It was a gamble to go with the Katana seat, and I'm still not sure about it. Part of me likes it, and part of me thinks it's too long. It also sits a bit higher, because of the stock SV subframe geometry. It will look better when it's done.

IMG_20140617_111055.jpg

I'm assuming from the silence that most people thought the Katana seat was a little, how should I say, hideous. Or at least I've decided that it is. Goodbye Katana seat; it was fun while it lasted, but now you must go!

Back to my original idea of keeping the stock seat but ditching the plastic, and covering the electronics and extra space with an enclosure. I would go with my own fiberglass seat pan for all of this, but I'd rather not get into it for this project since I want to get it done fairly soon. Next project I'll give it a try.

I've chopped into the subframe a bit, and this is what it looks like now:

IMG_20140618_163352.jpg

IMG_20140618_154111.jpg

I'm assuming from the silence that most people thought the Katana seat was a little, how should I say, hideous. Or at least I've decided that it is. Goodbye Katana seat; it was fun while it lasted, but now you must go!

Didn't want to say it with all the work you're doing. Yes, it was hideous. Although I'm scared to click "submit" as I recall once giving my opinion of a friend's girlfriend after they broke up (he asked, she was a bimbo)... then they got back together.

I realize it's just mockup ... but if that's the angle you plan to install the passenger seat at, do you want the passenger seat to be useful? It's going to force the passenger into the back of the rider.

Also, I think you want the rider's seat to be angled up a little at the back. Basically straighten them out so that the seating surfaces are both at close to the same angle.

Didn't want to say it with all the work you're doing. Yes, it was hideous. Although I'm scared to click "submit" as I recall once giving my opinion of a friend's girlfriend after they broke up (he asked, she was a bimbo)... then they got back together.

Haha, I think it's safe to say me and the Katana seat are over for good. I don't know what came over me... I think I just wanted something different, since I've seen too many people put ducati seats on an SV. But hideous is hideous, whether it's different or not.

And yes, Brian P, I don't intend to put the passenger's seat at that angle, I just didn't have anywhere else to put it since I already chopped off all the supports. Again that's Katana's fault.

I'm going to keep the position of the seats as close to stock as possible. I'm still debating whether to make this bike a solo fighter, or with a passenger seat.

I welcome opinions! Actually, I did decide to go with a solo fighter after all. Started designing the shape of the tail; I'm going to do it out of sheet metal, if I can manage it. Here's the shape so far made out of paper:

IMG_20140620_160742.jpg

IMG_20140620_175655.jpg

Obviously I'm going to have to cut the subframe back quite a bit. But you get the idea.

making a sheet metal tail is just asking to make the build overly complicated imo. working with sheet metal is not easy.

I did the same thing as you with the same bike. although I made it an undertiail exhaust so I had to make my own subframe. made it sit 3 inches higher. then used an r6 seat and tail. send me your email if you want pictures.

making a sheet metal tail is just asking to make the build overly complicated imo. working with sheet metal is not easy.

I did the same thing as you with the same bike. although I made it an undertiail exhaust so I had to make my own subframe. made it sit 3 inches higher. then used an r6 seat and tail. send me your email if you want pictures.

I know what you mean. Sheet metal is definitely a pain to work with, especially if you want to make any curved shapes.

I originally thought I would keep the passenger seat by going with a banana seat of some kind, but the project has kind of evolved. So given that my main goal is to make this as industrial looking as possible, I feel like I can't compromise on the tail with this. I'm going to try to make it out of sheet metal, and if I have trouble making it myself, I'll have to find a place to cut and bend the pieces for me. It's really just the cutting and bending that I'm going to have trouble with.

So I managed to fab a sheet metal tail, which I was pretty surprised could be done. I tried to keep it as simple as possible, while still having some curve to it. Problem is I think it still looks a bit too pointy. I go back and forth between liking it, and not liking it.

IMG_20140625_132400.jpg

This time I actually am looking for opinions. What do people think? Give it another go? The main reason for redoing it is that I didn't make a space for the tail light, which means I'd have to use something more low profile. Also, I think it sits too high behind the seat, and too narrow. I'd like make it lower and wider to fit the seat a bit better.

IMG_20140624_101909.jpg

The last pic is from before I ground down the welds, but you can see it's a bit narrow. It fits the subframe nicely, but doesn't quite match the seat.

I think the height is OK, but agree that it needs to be wider. As for lighting, there are so many options with LED lighting that you don't necessarily need much room for it.

Yo B,

I don't think the pointiness is an issue, but the shape seems too basic vs. that of the tank. It needs some bumps or something.

(What's that car in the back? Looks fancy.)

I'm going to mess around with some shapes tomorrow. I've got an idea in my head of a more complicated shape that's still somewhat manageable with sheet metal. It's hard to make it completely round like the tank, but I'm going to try to make the majority of it curvy. Sheet metal is a b*(&h, but it's in keeping with my whole theme. Plus it will be awesome when I actually get decent at making sheet metal parts.

Matt, the car in the background is a Dodge Stealth. The mechanic who's letting me share the shop space is working on some kind of crazy turbo setup for that car. He's the guy helping me weld until I get better at it myself, but he's been preoccupied with that Dodge for a while.

And I'm just struck with the opposite ends of the spectrum with your stands; Canadian Tire for the rear, PitBull for the front! ;)

And I'm just struck with the opposite ends of the spectrum with your stands; Canadian Tire for the rear, PitBull for the front! ;)

Yeah, the Canadian Tire stand was from when I was just doing the odd chain maintenance on my bike, and the PitBull triple tree stand was for when I knew I was going to do a full front end swap. I went from anything will do to I need a really good front stand.

Here's the latest work. I'm very close now to finishing the bike. Hopefully only another week or so, and it will be done.

Mockup:
IMG_20140627_150433.jpg

Cutting the shapes:
IMG_20140627_161408.jpg

Welded up:
IMG_20140704_102957.jpg

I'll save the final pics of it on the bike for when I'm done :p

I like where that's going.

Yeah, the Canadian Tire stand was from when I was just doing the odd chain maintenance on my bike, and the PitBull triple tree stand was for when I knew I was going to do a full front end swap. I went from anything will do to I need a really good front stand.

Here's the latest work. I'm very close now to finishing the bike. Hopefully only another week or so, and it will be done.

Mockup:
IMG_20140627_150433.jpg

Cutting the shapes:
IMG_20140627_161408.jpg

Welded up:
IMG_20140704_102957.jpg

I'll save the final pics of it on the bike for when I'm done :p

So I'm basically finished the bike... I keep saying I'm almost finished, and there are always more things to do. In this case I still have to powder coat the tail, and figure out some better bar end mirrors. But for the most part, it's not going to change much:

I welded the tail to the subframe (what was left of it) and sanded and polished a fair bit:
IMG_20140710_170923.jpg

Also made a bracket for an LED tail light, turn signals, as well as the license plate:
2014-07-15+11.26.10.jpg

Received my new triple clamp, courtesy of a guy on the svrider forum who makes triples specifically for SV Gixxer front end swaps. It has holes for handlebars if I ever decide to make this thing more comfortable:
IMG_20140730_181947.jpg

And here it is, completed (minus powder coating and painting for the tail):

Also, disregard the bracket on the exhaust, I'll be chopping that off.

IMG_20140731_121426.jpg

IMG_20140731_121355.jpg

IMG_20140731_121407.jpg

Back
Top Bottom