Cruisers and sport bikes | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cruisers and sport bikes

That's what my kid found with his and he really likes the upright on the naked FZ8

A little off topic but it's all good up to 110km/hr; then give me lean & a fairing.

I had a v-max a while back. Great bike. Everything everyone stated what the handling was questionable. For me, any highway romps and I was a sail in the wind (damn I miss that bike though).

There are some pretty sophisticated screens now. Multilobe that take a lot of the wind pressure off.

IMG-20120424-00212.jpg

PUIG11513.jpg

this is the one my kid wants.

I notice on the KLR mini screen - - if it was a just a tad larger it would take the buffeting from my helmet.
I'm looking for something as my "touring" screen is ugly and too tall - take my teeth out in the dirt.

Anyone see the movie "Dragonheart"... ?

(I think we've officially now high-jacked this thread DH).

Last edited:
sport bikes are the bee's knees i will only get a cruiser when I'm old and can't get it up. whatever though if you want to ride one then ride on i have seen lots of groups of sports and cruiser bikes together no problemo

HOLLA
you will be old some day , hopefully you can get it up, lol.

I rode a cruiser for years and rode with all types of bikes. Only time it was ever an issue was when I hooked up with an all ss ride and they were riding like they were qualifying for a race! Sometimes you'll run into riders who only want to ride with bikes same as theirs, although in my experience this happens mostly with Harley riders not wanting to ride with japanese bike riders and not sport bike and cruisers mixing.

Since switching to a sport touring bike I've found it hard to find the right group to ride with. I'm too spirited for most of the cruiserriders too slow for most of the ss crowd. Up here in Peterborough, cruisers out number sport bikes 10:1 so it can be slim pickings. Mostly end up riding alone. I'm hoping to organize a few gtam meet and greets for the Peterborough and kawartha riders this season. All bikes welcome!

Really? So much for the theory that the bike one picks and how one rides is based on his local roads. Man, how could, or better yet, why would anybody want to own a (just a) cruiser up and in around Peterborough?

I go on all day rides in order to get up into those juicy central ON roads, just to enjoy the scenery and sweepers "at speed". Now I'm not saying that one can't have a good time on a cruiser riding down say the 507 for example, but I know one would have a much better time on something that can handle the curves, ride, accelerate and brake a heck of a lot better than most cruisers, and I don't mean at break neck speeds or stunt riding either like I've seen so many reckless squids doing, but just at a nice quick but not dangerous pace.

I'm not anti cruiser, as I've owned a couple of nice ones in the past and wouldn't mind owning another one, but if that's all one has ever owned and operated, one's never graduated from "motorcycle riding 101" IMO, and that's a shame as those riders don't know what they're missing. (Ask a cruiser rider if he, or more likely *she* has set his/her sag, and see the response you get. ;))

Last edited:
..i will only get a cruiser when I'm old and can't get it up....

You should get one just to expand your motorcycle horizon, because in these days of Viagara, and penal implants etc. you will never not be able to get it up. And besides, your tongue never stops working so if you'll only buy a cruiser when you can't have good sex, well that's never going to happen as where there's a will there's a way, so you may as well buy a cruiser now. :p

Really? So much for the theory that the bike one picks and how one rides is based on his local roads. Man, how could, or better yet, why would anybody want to own a (just a) cruiser up and in around Peterborough?

I go on all day rides in order to get up into those juicy central ON roads, just to enjoy the scenery and sweepers "at speed". Now I'm not saying that one can't have a good time on a cruiser riding down say the 507 for example, but I know one would have a much better time on something that can handle the curves, ride, accelerate and brake a heck of a lot better than most cruisers, and I don't mean at break neck speeds or stunt riding either like I've seen so many reckless squids doing, but just at a nice quick but not dangerous pace.

I'm not anti cruiser, as I've owned a couple of nice ones in the past and wouldn't mind owning another one, but if that's all one has ever owned and operated, one's never graduated from "motorcycle riding 101" IMO, and that's a shame as those riders don't know what they're missing. (Ask a cruiser rider if he, or more likely *she* has set his/her sag, and see the response you get. ;))

I have a blast on my Sporty scraping the pegs on curve my Buell will take without a blink of an eye. Cruisers can be fun in the twistys. They just take more work.

There are a lot of times, I'd rather be on a small displacement like a Honda 250 and rip up the roads over a 600/litre SS. But, it's always different strokes for different folks. I just don't like it when the bias and presumptions are made based on what a person owns or rides.

Cruisers can be fun in the twistys. They just take more work.

Yes - to get around ;)

I haven't quite got the mix I want of bikes.

Happy with the Burgman 650 in Canada -

Happy with the KLR 650 in Australia

Not happy with the ST1100 and would love to trade it for the CB400F they import here...light little screamer with WORKING Vtec.

Docile around town...a hoot in the twists.

OP maybe should look at some of the intermediate Honda's - I don't like them but many do.

honda-ctx700-ctx700n-motorcycle-bikes-mid-range.jpg

CTX series.

I have a blast on my Sporty scraping the pegs on curve my Buell will take without a blink of an eye. Cruisers can be fun in the twistys. They just take more work.

There are a lot of times, I'd rather be on a small displacement like a Honda 250 and rip up the roads over a 600/litre SS. But, it's always different strokes for different folks. I just don't like it when the bias and presumptions are made based on what a person owns or rides.

I agree that people should get whatever they feel like but cruisers are not designed for twisties and the fact that you scrape pegs or boards so early could lead to a dangerous situation when you need to lean but are physically restricted. Their suspension and braking is also seriously limited which is not so good in tight situations.

I've had a cruiser and gave it up, mostly because of these restrictions. Also because the fuel tank was super tiny which I really don't understand on bikes that are already heavy and not meant to be on the race track.

If I could afford to have several motorcycles I would buy a cruiser again but definitely not because I want to enjoy the twisty roads on it.

In a dream world I'd like to own at least 5 types of bikes:
- super sport for spirited riding
- sport touring for long trips, involving lots of highway time
- touring/off-road capable bike for exploring on and off pavement
- cruiser for laid back city riding
- dirt bike for fun in the trails

If our insurance system wasn't so punitive to people wishing to own multiple vehicles, I'd probably have more than the 3 I currently own (2 cars).

I decided to blow the insurance budget this year and go with 2 bikes. VFR for me (my favourite bike up to this point as an all-rounder) and the cruiser for pack riding or riding with the missus.

I tried and tried to get a sport-touring bike that she wouldn't be sliding into me every time I either changed gears or hit the brake. I know it's probably my pathetic riding abilities but other than velcro, what's a man to do. Never happened on a cruiser. The other nice thing about the cruiser is you really don't feel the need to "get there". As a result, I've been spending more time hitting the secondaries again which is why I started biking in the first place.

Once I got into my sport-touring phase the long sweepers I found so enjoyable on the cruiser became more so on the VFR, only now at 20-30 over so now I have to watch my speed (and my license).

Last edited:
And to those though who complain about peg scraping, grab some rocket technique and don't drop the bike under you, either keep you weight neutral or even shift your weight into the corner while keeping the bike more upright. Makes a huge difference and is safer.

Attachments

• Countersteering.jpg
    Countersteering.jpg
    53.6 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:
In a dream world I'd like to own at least 5 types of bikes:
- super sport for spirited riding
- sport touring for long trips, involving lots of highway time
- touring/off-road capable bike for exploring on and off pavement
- cruiser for laid back city riding
- dirt bike for fun in the trails

Australia is much friendlier to that concept.

Insurance is cheap

A single seat machine no matter what displacement - basic third party liability insureance is $137 a year. That's all you need to ride
About double for standard two seat bikes.

For instance my ST1100 can be insured for $137 if I put the single seat option on it.

$(KGrHqF,!oEFCutlTIv9BQwkvkj1,!~~48_79.JPG

The KLR is already done that way....the mechanic removes the rear pegs and welds the threads. Cuts the seat back so no pillion. Writes up a certificate.

There is no sales tax on used bikes unlike Ontario.

One reason the insurance rates are low is there is stiff graduated licence as there is in Europe.

Any bike classed above LAMS takes a special test and several years of riding before you can get licenced for it.

So no conversations about "I'm new what sports bike can I get."

Horsepower is limited to about 50 and power to weight has some play as well.

So a 650 KLR is LAMS approved but no 600cc SS is.

This is very like Europe and Japan.

So you get sweet midrange machines available like the CB400F with Vtech that just slips into the LAMS approved but is a barn burner in the twists ( ala the RD400/RD350 two strokes ).

The CB500x was designed around that as well.

I've not got quite the mix I would like all on the same continent.

The Burgman 650 is do all machine from long distance to twisty fun to grocery shopping. But it's in Canada and does fine for the riding season there.

I'd prefer a lighter offroad than the KLR650 which does double duty here as do all.

I bought the ST1100 for long touring as it's legendary but find it top heavy to I'd prefer something in the 650-800 range.

Ideally here a KLX400 for offroad but street legal then a CB500x kitted for touring but with adventure tires as there is so many great dirt roads to explore.

Many here have stables of bikes ...BikerSmurf - the guy that took on R1 has 6-8 at any given time...he likes to play.
It's doable here.
Would be brutal in Ontario between insurance on each and HST on purchase.
Stupid system we have.

The Burgman covers the cruiser/sport touring of the 5 with fun in the twists

For sport the CB400 or one of the new Yammie triples would be sweet.

Off road the KLR covers dual sport and adventure riding and could tour but not sport touring.

The ST1100 was supposed to be in that spot....fantastic tourer and not bad in the twists but I'm spoiled by the Burgman which is effortless.

Need a lighter off road bike.

Working on it. :D

Australia is much friendlier to that concept.

Insurance is cheap

A single seat machine no matter what displacement - basic third party liability insureance is $137 a year. That's all you need to ride
About double for standard two seat bikes.

For instance my ST1100 can be insured for $137 if I put the single seat option on it.

$(KGrHqF,!oEFCutlTIv9BQwkvkj1,!~~48_79.JPG

The KLR is already done that way....the mechanic removes the rear pegs and welds the threads. Cuts the seat back so no pillion. Writes up a certificate.

There is no sales tax on used bikes unlike Ontario.

One reason the insurance rates are low is there is stiff graduated licence as there is in Europe.

Any bike classed above LAMS takes a special test and several years of riding before you can get licenced for it.

So no conversations about "I'm new what sports bike can I get."

Horsepower is limited to about 50 and power to weight has some play as well.

So a 650 KLR is LAMS approved but no 600cc SS is.

This is very like Europe and Japan.

So you get sweet midrange machines available like the CB400F with Vtech that just slips into the LAMS approved but is a barn burner in the twists ( ala the RD400/RD350 two strokes ).

The CB500x was designed around that as well.

I've not got quite the mix I would like all on the same continent.

The Burgman 650 is do all machine from long distance to twisty fun to grocery shopping. But it's in Canada and does fine for the riding season there.

I'd prefer a lighter offroad than the KLR650 which does double duty here as do all.

I bought the ST1100 for long touring as it's legendary but find it top heavy to I'd prefer something in the 650-800 range.

Ideally here a KLX400 for offroad but street legal then a CB500x kitted for touring but with adventure tires as there is so many great dirt roads to explore.

Many here have stables of bikes ...BikerSmurf - the guy that took on R1 has 6-8 at any given time...he likes to play.
It's doable here.
Would be brutal in Ontario between insurance on each and HST on purchase.
Stupid system we have.

The Burgman covers the cruiser/sport touring of the 5 with fun in the twists

For sport the CB400 or one of the new Yammie triples would be sweet.

Off road the KLR covers dual sport and adventure riding and could tour but not sport touring.

The ST1100 was supposed to be in that spot....fantastic tourer and not bad in the twists but I'm spoiled by the Burgman which is effortless.

Need a lighter off road bike.

Working on it. :D

Need a lighter off-road bike? Why not a honda Ruckus? Like a Burgman, but with knobbies. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

...Cruisers can be fun in the twistys. They just take more work....

I agree with the old adage that says it's "more fun trying to go fast on a slow bike, than having to go slow on a fast bike". Try owning a 150 hp sporting motorcycle when your license is dangling by a few points...it's living hell having to go the speed limit, when that super-duper motorcycle you own doesn't "come alive" until your 30 over the limit. It's better to have a cruiser and get your thrills from the *sensation* of speed by way of crappy platform that doesn't isolate you from the road, because in the end it's not how fast one is actually riding, but how fast it *feels*, and on a low slung, naked cruiser, even doing the limit can feel pretty fast at times, especially if you've slipped on some aftermarket pipes. ;)

Need a lighter off-road bike? Why not a honda Ruckus? Like a Burgman, but with knobbies. Lol

Hardly. - the KLR is too heavy for this kind of riding

1gVuawu.jpg

and you don't have to quote the original post to make an inane comment.

Got anything beyond an attitude issue and wasted space to contribute? :rolleyes:

Last edited:
twinswin
when that super-duper motorcycle you own doesn't "come alive" until your 30 over the limit.

Tho the ST1100 is not super duper motorcycle it is only really happy at 130 and that is a recipe for problems here in AUs where they don't tolerate much over the speed limit and there are speed cameras in many areas.

So the 100 hp is pretty wasted and the big V4 makes the beastie hot and top heavy trundling around the city in 30 degree heat and 400% ( feels like it at times ) humidity.

It's lovely on the open highway, not bad on sweeps, bit of wrestling in tighter twists as needs lots of brake applied tho it grunts wonderfully even from 2k rpm and pulls hard right to 8k
Those Honda's 4s are sweet - even 21 years old !!!

But distances are too long here and speed limits too tight to make use of the machine effectively and Im only here 3 months of the year.

It would be a terrific North American tourer and always ranks high in best used sport tourers.
That engine is sooo sweet.

Last edited:
Tho the ST1100 is not super duper motorcycle...

No?

Take something like, oh, I don't know, a Suzuki c-80, or Honda Shadow 1100 as examples, (I don't know my cruiser models very well, sorry) with wind sceens, oops, wind "shields" and side cases, oops, "saddle bags" down the 507 "at speed", meaning the speed where they feel good to ride safely and swiftly and where you get the sensation of fun by going "fast", and then do the same on your ST1100, and try and tell me it's not a super-duper bike in comparison. :p

My point was, you may have more fun on the cruiser tryng to hustle it through those sweepers than on the st1100, which you would no doubt be holding back in fear of crossing paths with an oncoming OPP dopler radar cruiser and losing your license by being 30+over which is easily done on that road, (that'd only be 110) with a ST1100 trying to have some fun.
;)
...it is only really happy at 130...

Yup. Been there, done that, trying to get some fun out of riding a bike with a great engine and platform. You *gotta* speed to get some fun out of them for cripes sake!
:cool:

.. and that is a recipe for problems here in AUs..

Here in Canada too.
:mad:

Don't know it it's true or not, but I heard Kenny Roberts use to cruise the canyons in California or some similar reknowned riding spot like that on a HD FXDX, and wreak havoc with squids. If true, no doubt he had his supension set up with aftermarket bits, good V rated tires, good brake pads/rotors and having world championship winning skills wouldn't have hurt either..i.e. it's "not the bike"...if you're KR that is.
:p
New muscle bikes like the Ducati Diavel, and even the old Yamaha Warrior, (they still make that sport cruiser?) are blurring conventional boundaries anyways with the best of both worlds in one bike. I wonder if owners have an identity crisis, "Where/who do I fit in with?"
:)

Hardly. - the KLR is too heavy for this kind of riding

1gVuawu.jpg

and you don't have to quote the original post to make an inane comment.

Got anything beyond an attitude issue and wasted space to contribute? :rolleyes:

No attitude issue here, just thought you might like a scooter designed for trail use as you're such a huge scooter fan. I never meant to hurt anyone's feelings. And no, a klr is not to heavy for two-track IMO.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Okay - no problem.
Not a scooter fan at all - just a Burgman 650 fan ....big difference.

KLR 650 is fine for two track - that's what we ride on ...the 7 Hills shown is some very wicked single track that is very steep in parts and heaven help you if it rains....which it does this time of year.

That photo was last week....it was dry
We got 5.5" of rain overnight.......that's 140mm in 12 hours or so.....and you can get trapped by that kind of rain 150 km away.

I need something I can lift easily in muddy conditions and and has a bit more clearance for single track.
Not sure I'm game to do single track anyway....just a thought but if I could get the right trade for the ST1100 to say a KLX400 then I'd turn the KLR to 80/20 road set up and use the KLX for the forest trails I'd work with that.

The distances are very great here and I'm not sure my hands are up to 1,000+ km days on the ST1100.
I'd love a Burgman 650 here ....one of the guys circumnavigated AUstralia on a Burgman 650

Summary: Going around Australia has been my dream since I migrated to Australia in 1995. I realised this dream between April and June 2010 riding some 26,500 km in 42 days, on my motorcycle, a Suzuki Burgman 650 Executive.

http://www.max.grenkowitz.net/?topic=840

and put in a couple of 1200 and 1300 km days on the Burgman. I know I can do 1000km days on mine when we did the James Bay Road.

A bare KLR is fine and perhaps the best of the adventure bikes as it's light when bare and thumper so geared correctly it's a great true dual sport and can do single track if not too steep and rough.

As an outback dirt road bike I like it as it has a big tank and never fails to start and it's not bad in the whoops and washboard which can take your teeth out.

But not so agile crossing the deeper streams and not sure it's set up for as deep as riding buddy likes to ride in.

deep%2520creek.JPG

I'll live with it off-road for now but moving it to more road oriented is an option I'm considering

This is more typical riding - forest track but some of the washouts because of the rain make for tricky riding when it's not flat

Screenshot2012-02-09atFeb92012100125PM.jpg

anyways - off topic.

The Ruckus is a cool scoot for a winter ride....one guy in Quebec has a studded one. Kid was considering it.

Back
Top Bottom