Cruisers and sport bikes | GTAMotorcycle.com

Cruisers and sport bikes

gwprime

So I gather most riders on this form are sport bikes. Do you guys tend to only ride with other sports bikes or will you ride with any rider using cruisers, adventure etc? I myself don't care what bike your riding just as long as it's a good ride.

It doesn't matter, you got all walks of life here. I personally haven't seen any Harley/Indian/Buell crowd from here per se but I am sure they are around. Doesn't matter what category you will see a mixture, especially at events. It's true that the majority is sports followed by Dual Sport/Supermoto.

So I gather most riders on this form are sport bikes. Do you guys tend to only ride with other sports bikes or will you ride with any rider using cruisers, adventure etc? I myself don't care what bike your riding just as long as it's a good ride.

Once spring comes you will see rides posted and yeah, some of them specify sport or sport/tourer only, but certainly not all. I actually belong to a riding club (CMC) which is probably 90% cruisers or touring bikes, ie. the big Harleys, Goldwings. In the chapter I ride with there are maybe 2, 3 other sport or sport/touring bikes that join in from time to time - but its at least 90% cruisers. Most of my other non-club riding friends are on cruisers as well - so I'm the one usually feeling outnumbered. Doesn't matter to me or them - I ride what suits me.

Thanks for the reply. What is the best way to meet up with the CMC group are there meet and greets or do you have to be invited in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I rode a cruiser for years and rode with all types of bikes. Only time it was ever an issue was when I hooked up with an all ss ride and they were riding like they were qualifying for a race! Sometimes you'll run into riders who only want to ride with bikes same as theirs, although in my experience this happens mostly with Harley riders not wanting to ride with japanese bike riders and not sport bike and cruisers mixing.

Since switching to a sport touring bike I've found it hard to find the right group to ride with. I'm too spirited for most of the cruiserriders too slow for most of the ss crowd. Up here in Peterborough, cruisers out number sport bikes 10:1 so it can be slim pickings. Mostly end up riding alone. I'm hoping to organize a few gtam meet and greets for the Peterborough and kawartha riders this season. All bikes welcome!

Good point Morrissey. I don't think it's a matter of what you ride so much as how you ride. Meeting up with a group, or "trippin" with a partner is appealing, but to actually ride with more than one other person gets tricky - either too fast or too slow.

I was on a 6-guy trip a while back and was stated that, "... if I can see your lights in my mirrors, you're too close ...". I'm not quite that bad, but don't crowd me either. 12 bikes on top of each other is just waiting for trouble.

When talking about group rides, it's not the mix of bikes that's important...it's "the pace":

http://www.motorcyclistonline.com/flashback/122_0911_the_pace_nick_ienatsch/

I agree with TS here it's the pace that's important. That said I don't like group ride much unless it's a small group of riders I know and trust. Too often group rides are done "couch parade" style with a slew of inexperienced riders who think that's just a cool biker thing And they don't understand the safety aspect. If one goes down more are likely to follow.

I prefer rides with a quick pace and lots of space (between us).

Hey Morrissey. My wife and I would be happy to run up from Cobourg for a ride. One Harley plus one Beemer

Thanks for the reply. What is the best way to meet up with the CMC group are there meet and greets or do you have to be invited in?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is a CMC National Forum which lists chapters within the provinces - you don't need to be invited.

As well as CMC there is also the Southern Cruisers, which is again not limited to but mostly are cruiser riders.

There are also various brand and/or model specific clubs around Ontario which you can find by googling. Myself, I don't feel any particular need to hang with fellow FZ1 owners. I also find the group riding a bit tedious to be honest, but its a good way to get to meet people and you don't have to go on the big group rides, or wear the assorted patches, fringes, and all that stuff, although the actual Club crest is required on official rides/functions. I have one club crest on a jacket I pretty well only wear on club rides :)

I don't do the chaps, fringes, patches out the wazoo route - but some people enjoy that and I don't have a problem with those who want to have fun with it.

Last edited:
Here's some pics I took of the CMC national rally 2013 when they showed up in Sarnia under the bridge .I'd never heard of them before
100_1846.jpg100_1823.jpg

Personally I don't really enjoy large group rides. I really prefer just riding by myself and/or one or two easy-going friends. An occasional toy run or something is okay

3rd rule

must wave

graphics-waving-498559.gif

I ride both a sport bike (BMW HP4) and a Harley (VROD). Hard to decide what to ride sometimes.

sport bikes are the bee's knees i will only get a cruiser when I'm old and can't get it up. whatever though if you want to ride one then ride on i have seen lots of groups of sports and cruiser bikes together no problemo

HOLLA

There are lots of bikes in between and you'll find doing a 1,000 km day on an SS no fun and the closest decent twists to Ontario are 4 hours away.
Maybe listen a bit more there MM.

Moving directly to an SS is recipe for pain in pocket and perhaps skin.....

Motard style will be an easier transition from dirt and you'll not likely keep up with Daught on a motard no matter what you want try in SS.

Let me tell you. Riding to school on my 2013 sv650 in summer during rush hour is a huge pain in my... back...I sometimes envy the more upright position. I respect all bikes on the road and I will never hesitate a ride with one.

Back
Top Bottom