Catch can? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Catch can?

YellowDuck

Site Supporter
SOAR rules Section 13 part h:

A six 325ml capacity (minimum) catch tank or reservoir must be provided for all crankcase breather hoses that are not vented to the air box. All other vent or overflow hoses must be securely routed into the oil retaining belly pan.

On my bike the air box has been replaced with stacks and filters. There is a breather, with a breather valve, on top of the crankcase. A hose runs from that up to the top frame member, where the hose is terminated by a little K&N filter, which is adjacent to a mammoth K&N filter on one of the velocity stacks.

In my opinion, there is zero chance of any oil blowing out of this breather hose + filter. Legal? Or should I remove the filter and re-route the hose to a catch can of some sort? I kinda feel like the current setup might be superior to what the rules require, but I want to be sure I pass tech on my first race weekend.

No its not and I can guarantee you that should you hole a piston (not out of question on an aircooler) that little filter will fire off there like a bottle rocket and you will be spewing oil like a firehose (ask me how I know :( ). If you prefer run the hose through the lid then reattach the filter inside the catch can.

Run a longer hose and put an overflow bottle where your headlight would normally be. Put a second overflow bottle there and use that as your rad overflow too. It's a good safe spot for overflow bottles.

However, your current set up sounds reasonably ok and it would probably be ok and no one would ever care but if you want to go by the book.....

This is what I have set up.

GEDC0921.jpg

Thanks fellas, will do!

Run a longer hose and put an overflow bottle where your headlight would normally be. Put a second overflow bottle there and use that as your rad overflow too.

What's a rad? :D

Sorry, another stupid question....

Are the catch can designs with the filter on top legal? Even if that filter blew off (unlikely) the situation would still be better than an open catch can (e.g., the classic beer can zip-tied to the frame, which appears to be legal based on what I see at the track, at least in VRRA...). So, I am talking about the breather connected to a 350-ml catch can via a hose (hose enters via nipple on the side of the can near the top), but the lid of the can has an air filter attached (or another length of hose leading to a filter, located high on the frame).

Legal?

The reason the rules are as they are,, are because someone went there.
I never thought oil could do what it does,, but adding filters and "Bling" will not stop the fact if oil is coming out ,,it's coming out!
If a filter would fix things it would be mandated.
Adding a filter doesn't change anything ,,maybe prevents some crank case pressure from getting out. Which could be bad. Becasue then it will punch a seal out.
Ask me how I know?
Worked in the AMA on a bike I called the "Exon Valdez" oil came out the handle bars!
Assume it can get everywhere,,, plan for the worst and it can only get better.
SOAR's rules are there because people found out the hard way.
There not just there to make life hard.
In fact we use to have to run the crankcase breather tube up over the tach,,that way if it's going bad you get a chance to see it first and attempt to save things and others.
Oil catch cans are there for everyone and save hours of track clean up ,,but can save people from getting hurt.
And a clear one like Caboose's allows you to do a quick visual after you ride. If you use a beer can ,,nobody looks in it,, they wait for it to puke out the top.
Clean clear hose and bottle can save your butt!

Thanks for the lecture John ;) So, is my setup okay or not? (Pictures posted in previous post.). Line to the can is not visible to me while riding, nor is it clear, but there is a sight tube on the can so I can check the level conveniently.

Last edited:
I could be wrong, but I believe the OP is thinking "normal operation" when he should be thinking of scenarios like "engine running on its side", "dramatic failure", etc

Worked in the AMA on a bike I called the "Exon Valdez" oil came out the handle bars!

Lol, that is a hilarious mental picture

Thanks for the lecture John ;) So, is my setup okay or not? (Pictures posted in previous post.). Line to the can is not visible to me while riding, nor is it clear, but there is a sight tube on the can so I can check the level conveniently.

Ohhhhhh it's a sight tube, I was wondering wtf that was

Well, the one thing I would ask is there any increase in pressure from all the stuff you added. If you increase the back pressure from the fittings and filter is it enough to blow out a gasket or create another place for it to get out? I learned that simple is sometimes the best. "Trick" is cool and everything but sometimes less is better. It looks okay but just been there chasing oil leaks on the "Exon Valdez" we were one step away from performing an exorcism as the last resort. Just being the devil's advocate,,,,,cause when things go bad they go bad x 10. Of course if you're lucky!

Back
Top Bottom