Anybody booked test ride of a Zero (electric) bike? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Anybody booked test ride of a Zero (electric) bike?

I just tried the Zero 2 days ago

Very quick and a delight to ride

I was expecting the bike to be heavy because of the batteries but it is actually very light - a later google search found the bike weighs 225lbs

the seat was very thin and you could feel the body underneath but like the last posted mentioned - easy change

I also found the handlebars to be a bit low - but again easy fix

acceleration was quick and the bike is very nimble

i test rode the bigger battery version which has a range of 160kms

im just wondering what company is offering $200 insurance on this bike

With the rates we pay for electricity and all the warning's we get during the summer to turn off and conserve energy or risk brown or black outs, I really am reluctant to consider any battery powered vehicle of any sort.
Don't be ridiculous.

I'd love to ride one just for the fun of it....don't think the sales guy would love that though....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

they did ask what is CC.
Wouldn't the correct answer be zero? :cool:

On another note, you guys have heard about Lightning Motorcycles? They're taking pre-orders on their site for an electric bike a little more oriented towards us performance junkies. Unfortunatley it costs $39K, but also happens to currently be the fastest production motorcycle in the world...:eek:ccasion9:

Besides, I'm sure more than one rider on this forum has spent that much on their Duc...

Lightningmotorcycle.com

Last edited:
With the rates we pay for electricity and all the warning's we get during the summer to turn off and conserve energy or risk brown or black outs, I really am reluctant to consider any battery powered vehicle of any sort.
I've been preaching that for years

Mission motorcycles is on the same track

Including a gear box

https://www.mission-motorcycles.com/rs

What gear box? Their site advertises "Single speed, gear driven primary reduction transmission"
It plain wouldn't make sense to put gears on an electric motor, you'd be shooting yourself in the foot. The thing with electric motors vs internal combustion is that all the power is available all the time, right away, from 0 rpm, as soon as there's current.

I have to admit the mission is IMO far better looking, and IMO actually one of the sexiest bikes I've ever seen.
They aren't quite hitting the mark though, being in direct competition with Lightning.

Mission RS (limited production, 40 units, then slightly inferior Mission R will be sold)
160hp
120lb/ft
150mph
540lbs with BST carbon wheels, lightest in production
Real world range: 140 miles
$59,000 - $75,000 with optional GP package)

Lightning LS-218
200hp
168lb/ft
218mph
495lbs with magnesium wheels
Range up to 180 miles with premium battery pack
Starting at $39,000

Lightning motorcycles is also in the process of developing a sportbike for the $8,000-$12,000 range for the rest of us non-millionaires, according to CEO Richard Hatfield.

What gear box? Their site advertises "Single speed, gear driven primary reduction transmission"
It plain wouldn't make sense to put gears on an electric motor, you'd be shooting yourself in the foot. The thing with electric motors vs internal combustion is that all the power is available all the time, right away, from 0 rpm, as soon as there's current.

I have to admit the mission is IMO far better looking, and IMO actually one of the sexiest bikes I've ever seen.
They aren't quite hitting the mark though, being in direct competition with Lightning.

Mission RS (limited production, 40 units, then slightly inferior Mission R will be sold)
160hp
120lb/ft
150mph
540lbs with BST carbon wheels, lightest in production
Real world range: 140 miles
$59,000 - $75,000 with optional GP package)

Lightning LS-218
200hp
168lb/ft
218mph
495lbs with magnesium wheels
Range up to 180 miles with premium battery pack
Starting at $39,000

Lightning motorcycles is also in the process of developing a sportbike for the $8,000-$12,000 range for the rest of us non-millionaires, according to CEO Richard Hatfield.
It was discussed in a documentary i saw on YouTube

But you are right... According to the stats lightning is definitely superior

I just love how it's better in every imaginable way (pardon me Mission if I've missed something) and it's $20k cheaper!:eek:

By no means am I anywhere near the stage of my life where I can buy a $40k toy, but still, it seems nowhere near as ridiculous as $60-$70k. I love riding like nothing else and maybe one day when my hairs are grey I will be able to afford something really special like that. I'm sure there are tons of people who've spent $40k on their Ducs an Harleys.

Do they give you a rubber woman with the purchase of this bike? Guys, enjoy the gas smell while you can! If you want more than 12V electricity - buy a Prius!

Do they give you a rubber woman with the purchase of this bike? Guys, enjoy the gas smell while you can! If you want more than 12V electricity - buy a Prius!

I've been told that the low end torque of an electric bike is rather addictive, so don't look down your nose too hard at them.

I've been told that the low end torque of an electric bike is rather addictive, so don't look down your nose too hard at them.
The torque is unreal.The trialer i tried had a "clutch" lever.You pull it in at a stop,roll the throttle on to select how much power you want,and then drop the clutch.It literally explodes from a stop at the obstacle you are launching it over.
Don't know if the Zero has this feature.

I love the smell of my gas toys as much as I love the smell of a great set of lady-parts. Performance is performance is performance though. I'm not a fan of priuses, volts, and the majority of hybrids/electric cars because I'm an avid supporter of machine athleticism and efficiency, specifically the extraction of power and performance, in WHICHEVER way works best. While a prius would have been monumental in the times of horse and carriage, Im unable to admire it because there exists such thing as a Tesla roadster, which is for the sake of conversation is a similar machine/object yet is capable of so much more. Hence the electric bikes. I'm IN LOVE with my smelly seven year old gas bike. Was equally in love with my carbureted '92 ZX7, that smelled like a muthaf***a. Performance is performance though, and the fact that we are now building machines that weigh roughly that of an older sportbike, and are capable of acceleration unmatched by today's latest and greatest, not to mention 218mph, is astonishing and something to be VERY proud of.

I wouldn't get a prius, but I'd take a Quant e-sportlimousine over many, many cars. For those of you unfamiliar with it, it's a swedish car that has just recently been approved to be road legal in Europe. It runs entirely off an easily mixed, non-rare electrolyte solution similar to saltwater, generates 913hp, 8,556lb/ft (no not a typo), weighs a hefty 5,070lbs yet still pulls a ludicrous 0-100km in 2.8 seconds, does 218mph just like the lightning, and with all this performance will still do over 370 miles on a charge. No, these aren't speculative, the car exists, it's been driven, and it's headed for production.

I admit that far from all of us are into the sheer performance of our machines, but there are many of us that are. Unfortunately, as much as I love the smell of my gas bike, electric power is capable of far greater things and performance junkies will be gravitating towards it, as it becomes more affordable, more readily available, and most importantly more practical (charging stations, battery replacement a la propane tank system, etc)

Back
Top Bottom