Afraid I"ll Hate my rental bike :-( | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Afraid I"ll Hate my rental bike :-(

My wife is just back from our house in Presscott, its 16-18 during the day and -3 overnite, the GrandCanyon is 8-10 during the day. Pheonix is 20-24 and sunny, south is warm. Remember its friggin chilly in the desert at night, so if you tent take, your fur lined thong. Trip east to Apache Junction is an interesting place, the Sonoran desert is just awesome, I'd have a look at the Frank Lloyd Wright college and museum. Old Scottsdale is sort of fun. There is a couple airplane/flight museums south of Pheonix which is pretty cool. Bisbie is a hippy dippy town that's fun, there is a copper mine doing underground (1mile) tours down there, if you've never been in one, I'd go. Do not go to Nogales on the AZ/MEX border, and do not go dirt trail riding within 10km of the border in that area, its the drug corridor and not nice, everywhere else in that state is gorgeous.
I've been all over on a 30hp? sportster my neighbor loans me, its a tool for the job there. I'm really happy when I get 128hp to, but being out in the sun and seeing the mesa, mule deer herds and occasional javalina is better when your not just looking down over the clip-ons.
This touring thing is a mindset, even if you hate the bike, its 100% better than your getting here. And it gives you a reason to go back.

PS , its patio season in the SW.

Sounds awesome - can hardly wait. With unlimited mileage on the bike, it opens it up for where I can travel, so I can follow the sun. I do want to do the Oakwood Canyon/Sedona/Cottonwood run again - maybe Route 66 between Kingman and Seligman if its not too chilly that far north - but I think our Canadian idea of riding weather is a little different - if its in double digit celsius its practically shirt sleeve weather.

A few years ago I was in Victoria, BC and rented a bike. They only had cruisers at the time so I settled for a Yamaha 1100 something. I was used to riding sportbikes and the roads are there were nice and twisty! Within 5 mins I'm scraping floorboards. I was frustrated at first but then I started riding it like a cruiser -- a more relaxed pace, more time to look around, etc. My wife was also on the back.

All that to say, don't focus on the lack of power otherwise you'll be disappointed. Focus on the fact that you're riding at all, how awesome it is, and the scenery, just like the others have said and you'll have an awesome time. Take your time and take lots of pics to make us jealous! Actually, just focus on the fact you're making us all jealous, lol!

Bingo!

The Squeeze and I rode 2 up all over some Greek islands on a 100cc twist and go and it was a hoot.
(not sure if riding in shorts and t-shirt instead of the standard ATGATT had anything to do with it....)

Edit: this was supposed to be a "reply with quote" attached to something along the lines of "you're in a nice warm spot just enjoy the ride..."

Last edited:
I don't hate this bike except for the brakes. No two finger braking this baby! On the Beeline hwy from Phoenix to Payson there are a few stop lights u come up to in a 55 mph zone - giving myself the stopping space I need on the fz1 almost crapped myself. Passing trucks on the interstate is an adventure but can be done with a bit of patience and a heavy throttle hand.
But it handled itself nicely up Mingus mountain and through Jerome also through oak creek canyon. Weather has been awesome and scenery spectacular. 3 more days of riding left

Yeah as you found out cruisers don't brake even close to a Sport bike..LOl But then it is a bit like expecting a 5 ton truck to stop the same as a Porsche..lol. Glad your enjoying it. a freind of mine has a place about 50 miles from Phoenix just posted pics this week of the Cactus and desert plants blooming.. SOOOO envious.

Enjoy the rest of your time there. BTW it is +1 right now in Thornhill..lol

I don't hate this bike except for the brakes. No two finger braking this baby! On the Beeline hwy from Phoenix to Payson there are a few stop lights u come up to in a 55 mph zone - giving myself the stopping space I need on the fz1 almost crapped myself. Passing trucks on the interstate is an adventure but can be done with a bit of patience and a heavy throttle hand.
But it handled itself nicely up Mingus mountain and through Jerome also through oak creek canyon. Weather has been awesome and scenery spectacular. 3 more days of riding left

Remember, you can use a good deal more rear brake on this bike than the FZ1.

Remember, you can use a good deal more rear brake on this bike than the FZ1.

Motorcycles have rear brakes? Who knew!
Seriously I was trying to brake 2 fingers on brakes thumb 2 fingers on throttle, downshift blip mode, which is a quick sequence on my bike. Eliminating the blipping and using both brakes helps but still no comparison. Still am pleasantly surprised by the handling on some tricky little hairpins on 66 between Kingman and Oatman

How'd you enjoy the road through Jerome? makes deals gap dragon thing look like the Niagara parkway, falling off into the ditch means 600ft to the first ledge you'll hit. #66 and Kingman are a bit overrated, but the road through Payson, along the white mountains and over in the Mingus mountains are really something. Perfect weather to be riding out there, police are far between and bike friendly. stay safe

How'd you enjoy the road through Jerome? makes deals gap dragon thing look like the Niagara parkway, falling off into the ditch means 600ft to the first ledge you'll hit. #66 and Kingman are a bit overrated, but the road through Payson, along the white mountains and over in the Mingus mountains are really something. Perfect weather to be riding out there, police are far between and bike friendly. stay safe
I love going through Jerome. Jerome, Mingus mountain, Sedona and the Oak Creek Canyon run are rides I have done on previous trip on my FZ1.
Yesterday I hit a route that made me long for my bike but to be fair my little Shadow performed just fine. I am in Wickenburg and rode 93 south to 97, to 96 and then 96 through Skull Valley into Preston. Awesome ride! Gotta love that 97 is open range - as if that twisty roller coaster road isn't interesting enough.

If I'd known you were going to be in Wickenberg I would have let my buddy know thta is now where he and his wife spend the summers he was lamenting yesterday that they are heading home in 3 weeks, (they left early Oct)...lol

I love going through Jerome. Jerome, Mingus mountain, Sedona and the Oak Creek Canyon run are rides I have done on previous trip on my FZ1.
Yesterday I hit a route that made me long for my bike but to be fair my little Shadow performed just fine. I am in Wickenburg and rode 93 south to 97, to 96 and then 96 through Skull Valley into Preston. Awesome ride! Gotta love that 97 is open range - as if that twisty roller coaster road isn't interesting enough.

If I'd known you were going to be in Wickenberg I would have let my buddy know thta is now where he and his wife spend the summers he was lamenting yesterday that they are heading home in 3 weeks, (they left early Oct)...lol

Home now and I'm lamenting - -6 today - REALLY!

Final thoughts on my rental 750 Shadow. Power was an issue for me but not enough to ruin my ride :) In Arizona secondary highways are mostly 65 mph and run at 80. Interstates are 75 and at 85 you are being passed - but not really a problem with a passing lane. Riding that bike at 85 is like sitting on top of a paint can shaker. Braking is pathetic. I will no longer make fun of my cruiser friends for stating to brake half a block from a stop sign.
However handling was a pleasant surprise. Arizona is not flat, even in the "desert". A lot of the roads were sweepers but a fair share warned of mountain grades and sharp turns. You can still use your body and weight the pegs in the hairpins - it just took a little bit of adjusting to the body positioning and feel of the forward controls and kind of stretched out arms. But the bike can lean and corner just fine at a decent speed - no need to crawl through the twisties :)
Would I switch to a cruiser? I just might. I'm no spring chicken - love the comfy seat, would like a little more giddy-up for highway situations than the 750 but not sure if that would mean losing the nimbleness this little bike had.

Now you're talking. Happened to my wife, H-D rental in Vegas and came home and bought a softail. Swore up and down the sport cruiser was the best until she tried something else. I read on another forum that we're all going crazy this winter and that once we get out on our regular rides we'll be just fine. Hope so.

Thanks for sharing your adventure Beastie Girl. Sounds like you had a blast. I think we are fascinated with the desert because we have nothing like it here in Canada.

I was wondering how you found the temperatures at the higher elevations in Northern Arizona in March?

I was wondering how you found the temperatures at the higher elevations in Northern Arizona in March?

It was actually unseasonably warm in the northern part of the State and higher altitudes. One of the store clerks in Prescott told me they really hadn't had much of a winter there and even up into Flagstaff. I didn't have heated gear - not even a lined jacket, but I was fine with a layer of polar fleece underneath my jacket and jeans - midweight gloves and full face.

Gotta love that 97 is open range - as if that twisty roller coaster road isn't interesting enough.

aren't cattle on the road fun....
at least you didn't have 'roos.

Sounds like a great ride....no pics???

Back
Top Bottom