Single Parents and Riding | GTAMotorcycle.com

Single Parents and Riding

BondJamesBond

As a single parent I get a lot of looks when I tell people I ride a motorcycle. Many think it's irresponsible. I don't want this threat to be too serious, but are there any other single parent riders out there? Do you get the same looks?

I personally don't see being a single parent as having anything at all to do with riding. I never did understand people who freak out about how dangerous motorcycles are. I look at it like this, if I ride and it relieves my stress, and makes me clear headed and happy, this puts me in a position to be a better parent/spouse/employee etc.
bottom line is parent or not, you have to have your life too. No?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed.... We can't be just robots, working, doing chores and paying bills. Everyone needs a life of their own. Has anyone quit riding because of their kids or spouse? How did that work out ?

the problem is the fact that motorcycles are dangerious,and as a single parent you have more of a responsability to try and minimize the danger you put yourself in,every time you ride you take a chance of injury or death,leaving the children without a parent.

No issues with it, just make sure the child is taken care of should the unthinkable happen. You should have a will, life insurance and dependable legal guardians.

First of all I resent the term "Motorcycles are dangerous." They are vulnerable. No motorcycle has ever attacked me but dangerous drivers have.

That said, how one's family is going to survive if a dangerous driver hits a vulnerable person is dependent on numerous factors. To start with the risk factors are scewed by the sensational racing wrecks. The casual cruiser using caution is less of a risk.

However things can go wrong. A financial future can be purchased through insurance but that won't make it possible for dad in his wheelchair to teach junior how to pole vault, something the naysayers will point out.

What the naysayers miss is that the multitude of parents that ride will instill fresher thinking into their offspring. You can't put a price on that.

If you're a single parent the kid's getting a raw deal anyway so why not teach him what he really needs to know. You come in to the world alone and you leave the world alone. Twins----->octobabies excluded of course.

raw deal? not so much if mom's a crack hoe or daddy's an abusive alky. Sometimes its better. I have friends that are single parents, it wouldn't matter if they rode bikes, built pc's at home or volunteered at a soup kitchen, somebody would look at them funny and think they should be doing something different. Be the best parent you can, put the kid first when possible, do what you enjoy. Its your life to.

Motorcycles are not "dangerious" people are. It would be more dangerous to walk around downtown every day as a pedestrian than to ride a motorcycle. If you let your offspring change your way of life it won't be long before you start resenting them. When people have opinions about you and your family, tell them when they have their own kids (and I assume these righteous people do not or they would know better) they can treat them as they wish. Child Services does not routinely remove children from motorcycle rider homes.

Anyone that asks me if I'm concerned about my kids, I advise yes but I still ride. I include my kids often too. I've arranged and pay for all of us to be insured beyond the mandated coverage we must have to be on the road. Life and disability etc.

My question back to them is, do they have a legal will? Who is going to deal with their stuff if they become seriously injured or die? Most don't and I'm not sure if those that say they do, really have one.

Hows it any different then non-single parents riding two up?

Or just one of the parents, the big money earner, crippling him/her self and the other parent (Working for minimum wage) having to come up with rehab costs because the $50K accident benefit limit got exhausted.

Funerals are a one time cost. Rehab is forever. Life insurance doesn't pay out for being maimed. For the family, better off dead if we're talking finances. Cheap funeral, life insurance payout, remarry and life goes on. (Cynical this AM.)

PS depending on the ages of the little ones, one prays that their guardian, godparents, grandparents treat them and the estate prudently.

Last edited:
If you're a single parent the kid's getting a raw deal anyway so why not teach him what he really needs to know. You come in to the world alone and you leave the world alone. Twins----->octobabies excluded of course.

Friends are the family we choose for ourselves. There are some siblings who refuse to have anything to do with each other.

Friends are the family we choose for ourselves. There are some siblings who refuse to have anything to do with each other.

Very true but not sure how that relates to my post. Probably I was nuclear.

the problem is the fact that motorcycles are dangerious,and as a single parent you have more of a responsability to try and minimize the danger you put yourself in,every time you ride you take a chance of injury or death,leaving the children without a parent.

yeah.... just like each time you cross the street or hop in the cage.

People who make those claims are often ignorant. I am much more cautious and aware of my surroundings on a bike than in a car. You can mitigate a lot with the proper gear. Anything else that is so bad that it would kill you could probably do the same to you if you were in a car too, if not seriously injure you. On a bike you're also more maneuverable, can accelerate faster and fit into tight spaces, which has helped me avoid stupid drivers.

I think I'd be telling people to **** right off. I'm divorced, but I take my 8 year old autistic son riding, and he absolutely loves it. I bought a scooter to get him used to it, now he rides on my KLR. You've never seen a happier kid when his dad picks him up from school on a motorcycle. He has proper riding gear, and more importantly a lesson in living free, not to mention a perfectly fun and healthy family hobby. Anyone who can't understand that, well refer to my opening sentence.

I know someone who is a single parent they don't really get looks. Honestly tho the people who look just don't understand and do nothing exciting with there lives

I don't understand why it would be different for a single or non single parent? People that judge because you ride a big bad dangerous motorcycle usually have no clue what they're talking about

Back
Top Bottom