Help me Pick a Cruiser :) All wanted technology hard to find | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Help me Pick a Cruiser :) All wanted technology hard to find

I ride a Yamaha Stryker with stock foot controls. I can stand on the pegs easily when going over a bump.
Good luck with your decision.

I'm used to liquid cooling. 3 of my last 4 bikes have had liquid cooling.

I had a GS500 20 years ago and it was air cooled. It was awful when stuck in traffic or on hot days. I remember driving to Niagara on the Lake and being stuck in stop & go traffic on the highway. Awful !

I believe liquid cooled engines run better. Maybe it doesn't matter on a mid displacement cruiser but not having a liquid cooled engine would bother me. So, it's in my MINDddddddddd........................

What about the V-Star 950? It's not liquid cooled, but I always thought it was a pretty good option in this class. What is the benefit to liquid cooling, on cruisers specifically??

Liquid cooled engines generally last longer, and handle stop and go traffic better. Air cooled engines need air flow to cool the air cooled engine. If that makes any sense! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Both my latest bikes have been air cooled and I travel the 404 in the heat of the summer and I have never had an issue with them. It wasn't something I went looking for just happened the bikes I got were air coled including the current road star 1700.

As for bumps I too have floor boards, I like that I can position my feet where I want them when not braking or shifting. I generally don't raise out of the seat over RR tracks, my seat is comfortable enough and I am not a heavy guy (185). I avoid ruts and pot holes for other reasons..lol

I also ride the Gf 600 Katana and I prefer the cruiser for comfort. The sport for speed. But it takes a minute to adjust to the foot position on the 600. As for windshield I would want one on my cruiser not wind at all. I find the wind on the helmet on the 600 causes buffeting, (well at speed anyway..LOL)

Liquid cooled engines generally last longer, and handle stop and go traffic better. Air cooled engines need air flow to cool the air cooled engine. If that makes any sense! Lol

Definitely makes sense. I just mean obviously on sport bikes it's for power related reasons. I didn't know that air cooled bikes had any kind of issues like that in hot traffic. I can see how you would want liquid cooled on a cruiser, like wanting to avoid undertail exhaust I guess!

To be fair, modern air cooled engines generally have no problems in most conditions. My dad and I were stuck at the border once for hours, his vstar 1100 air cooled got hot, stalled out and wouldn't restart. I had to push it the rest of the way across the bridge for him. My shadow 1100 liquid cooled never missed a beat.

The Honda Shadow RS and I think the HD Sportster 883 both have mid controls. The Honda isn't the "fanciest" but it does the job. I also suggest looking at the Triumph America or Speedmaster. I myself am considering the Speedmaster for this season. Currently riding a Shadow VLX 600 (which is for sale).

That speed master is also a very trick looking bike.

Harley has a 500cc liquid cooled model coming out but im not sure when. Could already be out.

The new 750 and 500 are looking at a summer release in the US and a fall release in Canada.

Had the 900 custom. Liked but not loved it. I felt like I was strapped in a birthing chair. Also the skinny front tire seems to track every pavement break in the road. The "Classic" is a little more traditional both in driver position and tire size.

Someone also mentioned the C50. Again, owned one, but for my riding style, was looking for some longer legs and with shaft, gearing is a little more complicated (although with the C50 there are options). It is quite capable, but at 135 was definitely buzzy.

Many bikes later I now own a Star 950. In your "updated' list, the tubeless tires may come in handy one day. A little more feet under, rather than feet forward so handling, although limited by floorbards which is all too common, is rather nimble.

Loads of +/- comparisons of the 3. All are good bikes - for me the air vs liquid isn't much of an issue but yes, liquid has the minor advantage if you are sitting in stop and go and its 90 degrees.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom