Need easier Clutching | GTAMotorcycle.com

Need easier Clutching

stevehartwell

Hey All,

I am 63, with two weak wrists and hands, left wrist got broken a few years ago, both frequently get sprained and hurt all the time simply from extreme 'old age'.

Makes all the clutching very difficult for me.

Sure, of course, I tried various kinds of wrist/hand supports, they help but not enough.

I've had times last year when I really didn't think I was gonna get back home.

I desperately need easier Clutching on my Honda Rebel 250, or I'm gonna have to sell it this spring.

Anybody got any suggestions for making my clutching easier to pull ? Indeed so there's no resistance at all ?

steve :cool:

get yourself a new VFR with the paddle shifter..

Learn how to clutchless shift while you're at it! Sure you'll have to clutch in for a stop but you can reduce strain if you clutchless shift when you can! :D

Have you lubed the clutch cable lately? Make sure it's not binding anywhere... my clutch was hard to pull on my bike when I got it, turns out the mount on the engine was causing it to rub and it made it very difficult to pull, once I fixed that and lubed the cable it was like butter!

get yourself a new VFR with the paddle shifter..

hey bandit,

thanks for the thought.

1/ I don't need a gear shifter, I installed a heel-toe shifter on my bike last year, and loving that.

2/ Moi ? on a VFR ?? --- hahahahahahahaha LOL :lmao:

I suspect you're not 'extremely old' --- yet....

Hope you find out what it's like.... :p

steve

hey bandit,

thanks for the thought.

1/ I don't need a gear shifter, I installed a heel-toe shifter on my bike last year, and loving that.

2/ Moi ? on a VFR ?? --- hahahahahahahaha LOL :lmao:

I suspect you're not 'extremely old' --- yet....

Hope you find out what it's like.... :p

steve

I don't know if I would consider 62 extremely old. My grandfather is 84, still golfs everyday, drives across the country each year, vacations around the world and has the mind of a 25 year old (as he claims) I think its all a matter of exercise, good lifestyle, and frame of mind

thanks for the suggestion rye, tried that, didn't help.

Learn how to clutchless shift while you're at it! Sure you'll have to clutch in for a stop but you can reduce strain if you clutchless shift when you can! :D

Have you lubed the clutch cable lately? Make sure it's not binding anywhere... my clutch was hard to pull on my bike when I got it, turns out the mount on the engine was causing it to rub and it made it very difficult to pull, once I fixed that and lubed the cable it was like butter!

I don't know if I would consider 62 extremely old. My grandfather is 84, still golfs everyday, drives across the country each year, vacations around the world and has the mind of a 25 year old (as he claims) I think its all a matter of exercise, good lifestyle, and frame of mind

nope - genetics

more health nuts die younger than rest of 'us' slobs.

and distribution of life-luck,

life-luck in the universe is like spreading grass seed or ice melter pellets

every person, like every spot, gets a different amount, and many don't get any at all

"if it weren't for bad luck - i'd have no luck at all" :-(

If those don't work, don't quit riding. Buy a bigger scooter. My 82 year old grandfather is riding from bc to ontario in June on his 89 gs 1000, says it's probably his last big run on it. He has plans to buy a scooter in August/September. Not what he wants, but better than a car. Good luck, hope it works for you, let us know how you make out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

nope - genetics

more health nuts die younger than rest of 'us' slobs.

and distribution of life-luck,

life-luck in the universe is like spreading grass seed or ice melter pellets

every person, like every spot, gets a different amount, and many don't get any at all

"if it weren't for bad luck - i'd have no luck at all" :-(

I would agree I'm 26 an extremely active an in my eyes pretty healthy, but after 2-3 hrs of riding I can hardly pull my clutch in, I gotta use my hold hand and pull it in with my arm strength,
I have my RSC clutch on the way once I install it I'll let you know how big a difference it is,

Even though it's geared towards stunt riders the clutch is for anyone.
Good luck with you search hope you find something to keep you riding brotha

I turned 61 yesterday so I know what you are saying. I have an 85 FZ750 that is so uncomfortable with forward leaning clip-ons that I can barely manage a 2 hour ride. I'm in the process of sorting that now by fabricating new bars that will get me in to a more upright position to take the strain off my wrists, arms, neck and shoulders.

You didn't mention the age of your bike but I have experienced a few different ones over the years with really hard clutch pulls. Usually this is due to them never being lubed. As Rye says you could try lubing but some times the wire strands split inside the sheath and drag. You might find a replacement ($15/20 I'd say) a better solution.

If that doesn't work then one of the other ones suggested may work. Failing that, you might want to look for a bike with a hydraulic clutch.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Thanks for the encouragement but can't get another bike on my fixed pension with 83 % of it going to monthly bedroom rent. Will try those 2 reducers and post what happens - when the freeking snow finally melts :-(

If those don't work, don't quit riding. Buy a bigger scooter. My 82 year old grandfather is riding from bc to ontario in June on his 89 gs 1000, says it's probably his last big run on it. He has plans to buy a scooter in August/September. Not what he wants, but better than a car. Good luck, hope it works for you, let us know how you make out.

thanks for the encouragement to keep on riding

I would agree I'm 26 an extremely active an in my eyes pretty healthy, but after 2-3 hrs of riding I can hardly pull my clutch in, I gotta use my hold hand and pull it in with my arm strength,
I have my RSC clutch on the way once I install it I'll let you know how big a difference it is,

Even though it's geared towards stunt riders the clutch is for anyone.
Good luck with you search hope you find something to keep you riding brotha

One of my neighbours races, and can do 'stuff' to bikes, he says there's nothing wrong with my cable, etc. So, I hope those reducers work. I just googled the subject, there's sure a lot of various products for the problem to consider.

Thanks for the encouragement, will post what happens to me.

I turned 61 yesterday so I know what you are saying. I have an 85 FZ750 that is so uncomfortable with forward leaning clip-ons that I can barely manage a 2 hour ride. I'm in the process of sorting that now by fabricating new bars that will get me in to a more upright position to take the strain off my wrists, arms, neck and shoulders.

You didn't mention the age of your bike but I have experienced a few different ones over the years with really hard clutch pulls. Usually this is due to them never being lubed. As Rye says you could try lubing but some times the wire strands split inside the sheath and drag. You might find a replacement ($15/20 I'd say) a better solution.

If that doesn't work then one of the other ones suggested may work. Failing that, you might want to look for a bike with a hydraulic clutch.

Good luck and let us know what you end up doing.

Thanks for sharing that, really great video. I can see how much you genuinely enjoy riding. I really do wish you all the luck solving your issue so you can continue.
Jeremy

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom