legal stunting? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

legal stunting?

油井緋色;2135337 said:
Wait wait, so is it legal if I do a burnout on my driveway when spring comes? lol

If it's fun and your in Ontario, it's illegal...

Corpse: No I was referring to the picture you posted of the guy doing a burnout on his trailer in his driveway. I was saying try that in a subdivision full of homes and see how quickly the police arrive and report on the tickets issued...lol

Gating a property is perfectly legal and we see it on many properties right in the GTA.

Corpse: No I was referring to the picture you posted of the guy doing a burnout on his trailer in his driveway. I was saying try that in a subdivision full of homes and see how quickly the police arrive and report on the tickets issued...lol

Gating a property is perfectly legal and we see it on many properties right in the GTA.

That is me in the picture, with my bike on my trailer in my driveway... no cops were called but some highschool kids cheered and took pictures. That pic is from 2007 or 2008, sometime around there.

We use a local Go station parking lot that is usually completely empty after like 7 pm. We also stunt from time to time at an undisclosed courthouse parking lot. We've had a few cops approach us and after talking to them they agreed we could do what we wanted there as long as none of the neighbors complained about the noise. We've been using it since last year at all hours of the night and never had any problems. If youre not disrespectful to the property and surrounding neighbors then the police generally wont give you a problem on private property. Dont leave garbage everywhere and excessive burnouts WILL cause problems lol. Just remind the cops that you're trying to be safe and keeping it off the streets and most of them will not give you a problem

A waiver doesn't remove always remove all liability...

That's why you have a lawyer draft it, it's not something I would attempt on my own. Race tracks have dangers too but they exist, there's no reason this can't work is my point.

A waiver doesn't remove always remove all liability...
skate parks in my opinion can be just as dangerous. there are plenty of those around i don't see why "stuntzone" can't exist i'm on board for this idea!

skate parks in my opinion can be just as dangerous. there are plenty of those around i don't see why "stuntzone" can't exist i'm on board for this idea!

The danger from falling on your skateboard does not in any way compare to the potential injury caused by any motorized vehicle. The odds of someone dying from falling down the half pipe at a skate park is next to zero. Add in a high powered motorcycle and the usual lack of equipment that a lot of stunters wear and you've increased your risk factor exponentially. The idea could work but some one would have to fork out a good chunk of money for an insurance premium.

I get your point, but where the liability risk exists is not in a rider crashing and injuring themselves, but from others in the area that have a 350lb+ projectile bike aimed in their direction when a rider loses control. An out of control bike is a far riskier hazard than a 5lb skateboard. Not saying that concept isn't feasible or worthwhile, it just has risks for ownership, participants and spectators. Again liability waivers are obviously required, but they do not remove all risk of legal engagement. Anybody can bring litigation forward, though this never means success, it can be tedious, troublesome and costly.

What about demolition derbys? They're not dangerous to spectators? How on earth do they get insured... The idea is doable, someone just do it already and stop talking about it. lol :D

What about demolition derbys? They're not dangerous to spectators? How on earth do they get insured... The idea is doable, someone just do it already and stop talking about it. lol :D

crash barracades surrounding the area

I could go buy 50 acres of land and build a motocross track relatively cheap. But paving a good sized area that wont heave or become wavy would be expensive. Best thing I can think of is if you have a place in the country with a long *** driveway, just pave that. Then put up fences with a locked gate so cops can't come in, then you have your own private and safe place to ride. No noise complaints since your far away, it's your own property so I don't think anyone can bother you.

crash barracades surrounding the area

I could go buy 50 acres of land and build a motocross track relatively cheap. But paving a good sized area that wont heave or become wavy would be expensive. Best thing I can think of is if you have a place in the country with a long *** driveway, just pave that. Then put up fences with a locked gate so cops can't come in, then you have your own private and safe place to ride. No noise complaints since your far away, it's your own property so I don't think anyone can bother you.

If you own your own property in a zoned area that wont give you any problems with noise bylaws etc thats fine. However if you plan to have multiple people ride there for a fee, then you need to have your property approved and insured to be like a race track, which is nearly impossible for the average person without a million dollar budget...

All the things that happen at race tracks, happen there because the are approved race tracks.....The guys in Montreal that run a stunt school, run it at a race track...For that reason, you pay the track to use their space because they are approved to operate motorsports on their property...Sometimes this happens in parking lots for drifting etc, I remember seeing people drifting cars in the parking lot of Squareone in Mississauga, I also saw college students building cars with motorcycles engines testing them in the parking lot at the Hersey center. Problem is stunting is something most people are not interested in getting involved with. You can rent their lot to do a motorcycle riding course etc, but ask them if you can do wheelies and they most likely want nothing to do with it...

It took the city 50 years to finally build kids skate parks, lucky for kids these days because when I used to skate we would get chased around city hall and if you got caught they would take your board...I wouldnt expect to see stunt parks for 100 years going by that example...

I have a small parking lot at my shop that I ride in sometimes, just to test stuff out or when Im bored... My neighbors stare and mean mug when I do it but they cant really say anything, however if I had 10 people back there doing wheelies Im sure they would find some way to ruin our fun....

Last edited:
Hta does only apply to roads and highways.

Criminal code applies to everywhere. Ie dangerous driving, crim negligence cause bodily harm/death, impaired driving etc, fail to stop at scene of accident, assault, mischief. List goes on. Then u have your municipal bylaws , trespass to property act, etc.

Even if someone had the property and the resources to build a decent stunting pad. As I said before a waiver release only prevents the person who signs it from suing, it doesn't prevent family from going after the operator. Then there is the insurance the premiums would be VERY high given the level of danger involved. Even if they had insurance the deductible on these types of policies generally START at $10,000.

The ATV club I belong to has a $5 million policy and the deductible is $10,000, but I know some groups whose deductible is $50,000.

Plus of course you would need staff and 24 hour security, (if someone cut the lock and went thru gate and was stunting and got injured or killed), the owner is still liable, in a civil suit. You need staff during open hours to monitor activity and ensure safety regs are followed and clean up after crashes etc.

that isn't to say someone wouldn't do it and open such a place. I just can't see a "prudent" business person accepting the risk levels.

Last edited:
even if someone had the property and the resources to build a decent stunting pad. As i said before a waiver release only prevents the person who signs it from suing, it doesn't prevent family from going after the operator. Then there is the insurance the premiums would be very high given the level of danger involved. Even if they had insurance the deductible on these types of policies generally start at $10,000.

The atv club i belong to has a $5 million policy and the deductible is $10,000, but i know some groups whose deductible is $50,000.

plus of course you would need staff and 24 hour security, (if someone cut the lock and went thru gate and was stunting and got injured or killed), the owner is still liable, in a civil suit. you need staff during open hours to monitor activity and ensure safety regs are followed and clean up after crashes etc.

That isn't to say someone wouldn't do it and open such a place. I just can't see a "prudent" business person accepting the risk levels.

lol!! no

... As I said before a waiver release only prevents the person who signs it from suing,...

I am not a legal expert, but my uinderstanding is a waiver can not prevent a person from suing, it just diminishes the possibility of success. Even the most airtight waiver can be exposed by a lawyer with the skills/will to defeat it, sadly

Umm yes.

Because it has happened when an ATV rider, trespassed and was killed on the property, the land owner was sued successfully, (by the estate, and family of the deceased), for MILLIONS right here in good ole Ontario. You have to be seen to be taking PROACTIVE steps to prevent an incident.

I'll play along the dream "what if " legal stunt spot thread. Trackriders pay $120-300 a day to do 20minute sessions 6 or 7 times a day. What do you think a stunter would be willing to pay to ride wheelies all day? My guess not much. It's a grand idea, but for such a niche market the business owner would have to be a billionaire stunt enthusiast to even think this business would succeed. Even if you offered four wheel Fridays for the fast and furious drift types I just think the whole thing is an entertaining dream/interesting conversation. Due to lawsuits, when I win lotto max my spot will be private, no invites. Sorry ;)

Umm yes.

Because it has happened when an ATV rider, trespassed and was killed on the property, the land owner was sued successfully, (by the estate, and family of the deceased), for MILLIONS right here in good ole Ontario. You have to be seen to be taking PROACTIVE steps to prevent an incident.

K I'm going over to your house and I'm going to trip and fall off your stairs, you didn't put up a "watch your step" sign so I'm going to sue you now.

K I'm going over to your house and I'm going to trip and fall off your stairs, you didn't put up a "watch your step" sign so I'm going to sue you now.

I'll join you, I need some cash lol

Back
Top Bottom