legal stunting? | GTAMotorcycle.com

legal stunting?

jordan36

hey,
so I'd like to start off by saying I've never stunted before. how would I go about doing it safely and responsibly with out getting trouble from the man? If I were to do it in an open parking lot would the police have an issue with that? does my bike need to be exclusively for stunting or can it be road legal? I would imagine it would be difficult for a police officer to give me a ticket on a non road legal bike if i'm only riding it in a parking lot. how have you guys managed to keep the police at bay?

thanks
Jordan

I think you're down to private property you own , or have consent to use.

Sent from my my mobile using a strange app for damaged people

The Highway Traffic Act applies to roads only.... so if you're in a parking lot and have consent like said above, you're fine.

Or just don't let the police see you!

Just watch out you still need insurance unless you own the property even if you have permission you need Insurance.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Also the "consent" must be in writing, from the OWNER. You just can't say well Joe Blow said I could use this parking lot. even IF Joe Blow works there likely he isn't the owner. Also say company ABC rents the property and they provide you with consent, you "could" still face legal action, (Not necessarily a ticket, but being sued), if someone gets injured while your using the property.

I just take it to a back country road with no houses and no cars around, if there's no one around to hurt except yourself, you can't get sued! :D

The Highway Traffic Act applies to roads only.... so if you're in a parking lot and have consent like said above, you're fine.

Or just don't let the police see you!
Yes but Dangerous operation applies anywhere and is a criminal charge....

Yes but Dangerous operation applies anywhere and is a criminal charge....

Motocross is dangerous, yet they can do it on private property...but you don't see them jumping cars on the highway. Like I said, if you're on private property (your own or have permission) then you should be fine. Unless of course your bike flies out of control and smashes into someone walking by....but that's why you should be smart about your location and don't do it where someone will get hurt.

Motocross is dangerous, yet they can do it on private property...but you don't see them jumping cars on the highway. Like I said, if you're on private property (your own or have permission) then you should be fine. Unless of course your bike flies out of control and smashes into someone walking by....but that's why you should be smart about your location and don't do it where someone will get hurt.

No. If a cop sees you doing donuts, even in your own giant backyard, they can nail you with a dangerous operation ticket. It's complete ******** just like the whole helmet cam SD card is in plain sight ****.

This is also why you never see stunt locations posted here.

Been at this for over 6 years buddy, the marks you put on the ground is enough for them to say you caused property damage (dangerous driving casing property damage)...Like I said this isn't my first BBQ and I have been told by a cop that I was going to be charged with dangerious driving in the past, in a lot that I had permission to ride in....Did I get charged with DD, no but it was used as a scare tactic, and had I been and *** hole back to the cop I could have very well been charged with it....

Also if the parking lot is not physically blocked off from public access its not considered 100% private, that puts it in a grey area, again charges may not hold up in court but you still can end up with a hand full of BS charges

Would it hold up in court? Probably not, but just being charged with something causes enough problems in itself....

Bottom line the "Im on private property and have permission to ride here" doesnt always play out as you want it too....Some cops take offense to you saying your aloud to do what your doing, and you basically saying there is nothing they can do because your on private property...They usually take that as an insult to their authority, and start diggin hard for anything they can charge you with...

I find dealing with the police in parking lots is like playing russian roulette, you never know what kind of cop your going to get...Ive dealt with all kinds, some that actually like it and give credit for keeping it off the streets, others that dont care just responding to call, then theres the heros that act like you are committing some serious chime

Last edited:
油井緋色;2134190 said:
No. If a cop sees you doing donuts, even in your own giant backyard, they can nail you with a dangerous operation ticket. It's complete ******** just like the whole helmet cam SD card is in plain sight ****.

This is also why you never see stunt locations posted here.

That's just wrong. Where did you hear this?? I'm guessing you've never been out of the city limits? Lol...according to your theory, you can't go offroading on acres of land that you own either? There are noise violations you may get nailed with, a bylaw if you're in the city...but if it's your property, you can do a burnout, or a donut, or a wheelie. You can't however, run someone over and plan to get away with that.

And Johnny - I've had scare tactics used by the OPP on me for firing my rifle on crown land - of which I had permission to do so by the MNR - even still I was basically forced to stop shooting, even though I was not charged. They threatened to seize my rifle if I continued target shooting... I even called their sergeant and had a lengthy discussion with him in which he told me if I went back there they would charge me with reckless discharge of a firearm (btw the cops were so lazy they didn't even go out to see my shooting location and had no idea if it was safe or not, if I was poaching, or WHAT I was shooting at...SO LAZY). Without getting too much into it - I had permission, but after this incident happened the permission was then revoked because they didn't want to deal with problems there in the future, however I was never charged with an offence. Do you think I could really get away with doing something as illegal as reckless discharge of a firearm without getting charged if I was really doing something wrong? No, pure scare tactics. And you're right though...it works, because even if you get a charge it will show up on a vulnerable sector check and screw you over for some important jobs, even if you were never found guilty!! Innocent until proven guilty my ***...

Every time a police scare tactic is successful we lose a little bit of our freedom, I should have went back and kept shooting but I really didn't want to deal with them anymore so I packed it up for the day, however I haven't been back there since, I just go to a different forest location, on crown land, and have not had any trouble.

As far as stunting goes...of course there are precautions you need to take, do your research, don't do it in an area where you're going to get noise complaints....just use some common sense.

Don't take this as legal advice, I am definitely not a lawyer. :D

I find dealing with the police in parking lots is like playing russian roulette, you never know what kind of cop your going to get...Ive dealt with all kinds, some that actually like it and give credit for keeping it off the streets, others that dont care just responding to call, then theres the heros that act like you are committing some serious chime

How do you not find the whole situation discouraging? I mean you try to keep it away from others and do your part to find a spot that wont bother anyone and cops still roll up.

The only way I ever figured people could be safe from cops is to have a large gated area that you could lock the cops out of and that was far enough away from anyone that might call in a BS noise complaint. That's why that last spot I ever had was right beside train tracks, it was near major roads but I never had cops show up there. I wonder if that would be worth paying for. I think I remember someone trying to set that up years ago. But wouldn't it be nice to have a place you knew 100%, cops can't come in and just trailer your bikes out when you leave.

I remember someone shot down the idea because you already had a spot, and you guys take care not to let people ruin it for you. But racers pay to drive to a location to race, why not have a safe place for some wheelies? It's easy enough to find someone with some land for a motocross track but good paved unused asphalt is near impossible. Well, thats enough rambling for today...

So I guess that's my only advice, find a spot that isn't near anyone old or lame OR Move from location to location and don't stay too long... unless you know someone with a nice spot to share.

Honestly, I just go to spots in the back country that are far away from kids, houses, traffic etc. You still do run the risk of having a cop roll by just out the blue and could be handed a **** load of tickets if he's having a bad day. Or if I don't feel like riding that far out, I go to an industrial spot in a parking lot. I had a cop roll up last summer and I saw him just as I was practising stoppies and he gave me the whole "listen, I didnt see this but if I get complaint I'll have to give you a ticket for stunting."

That's just wrong. Where did you hear this?? I'm guessing you've never been out of the city limits? Lol...according to your theory, you can't go offroading on acres of land that you own either? There are noise violations you may get nailed with, a bylaw if you're in the city...but if it's your property, you can do a burnout, or a donut, or a wheelie. You can't however, run someone over and plan to get away with that.

Well, if you are right, I'll do a burnout when the snow melts on my driveway lol

in my driveway AND on my trailer... can I still get a ticket?

Well by it's very nature stunting is inherently dangerous activity, (that those who do it readily accept). The reason your not going to find someone who "has good unused pavement" to step forward is the liability associated with doing so. There used to be many places that were never leaglly "sanctioned" to ride ATV's and dirt bikes, (like the Raglan pits). That have been shut down.. Why Liability, plain and simple. One day a young person was riding there had an accident and sued the landowner. Even though the person was "technically trespassing" it cost the landowner dearly. Now show up there to ride and the Police are right there with ticket books in hand.

So then the question becomes what about having stunters "sign a waiver of liability" Again simple answer Liability. If say a 20 year old signs the waive then something goes terribly wrong and they are paralyzed. The family WILL sue. Will they be successful? It depends upon the circumstances surrounding the accident. If there was a "loose piece of asphalt" The family would argue the landowner was negligent and that voided the waiver.... Either way win or lose the landowner will have to defend the lawsuit and that costs BIG money. So even if they wanted to offer up their land their lawyers would NEVER permit them to do it.

So that leaves stunters having to seek out places that they can use, BUT in most cases these areas will expose them to some form of police intervention. Bottom line is if a stunter or group of stunters found a location with minimal police intervention they aren't going to share that info here on an open forum, as that would mean an end to that location..

Corpse... Try it see what happens and report back how many tickets you got issued and then how you make out in court and the cost of fighting them.

Corpse... Try it see what happens and report back how many tickets you got issued and then how you make out in court and the cost of fighting them.

What are we talking about trying? my gated private property idea?

What are we talking about trying? my gated private property idea?

Sounds like an oppourtunity for a business venture to me! Call it "Stuntzone" - make people sign waivers - obviously everyone has to have their own insurance if they're riding a bike there anyway..... hmmmm...... :D

Wait wait, so is it legal if I do a burnout on my driveway when spring comes? lol

油井緋色;2135337 said:
Wait wait, so is it legal if I do a burnout on my driveway when spring comes? lol

You might get a disturbing the peace ticket if someone complains about the noise...

Back
Top Bottom