legal stunting? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

legal stunting?

Hta does only apply to roads and highways.

From section 1 of the highway traffic act: http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h08_e.htm#BK1
“highway” includes a common and public highway, street, avenue, parkway, driveway, square, place, bridge, viaduct or trestle, any part of which is intended for or used by the general public for the passage of vehicles and includes the area between the lateral property lines thereof; (“voie publique”)

I am not a lawyer but here is my interpretation:
If it’s intended for general public use for the passage of vehicles, (such as a mall parking lot that hasn’t been sectioned off) the act applies.

This is a tresstle...
240px-Wooden_trestle.jpg

or trestle, any part of which (talking about the tresstle) is intended for or used by the general public for the passage of vehicles and includes the area between the lateral property lines thereof;
the placement of commas is very important

From section 1 of the highway traffic act: http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/statutes/english/elaws_statutes_90h08_e.htm#BK1
“highway” includes a common and public highway, (public)street, (public)avenue, (public)parkway, (public)driveway, (public)square, (public)place, (public)bridge, (public)viaduct or (public)trestle, any part of which is intended for or used by the general public for the passage of vehicles and includes the area between the lateral property lines thereof; (“voie publique”)

Private property is not owned by the public, and the hta doesn't always apply there. (city by-laws could make the hta apply in malls,grocery stores, etc if they want)

also dangerous driving, has none of these limitations

Last edited:
OK, right you are about the comma

But the Ontario court of appeals has determined that that the scope of the HTA is not limited to a “Highway” Here is the full judge’s decision: http://www.ontariocourts.ca/decisions/2013/2013ONCA0027.htm

The act is only limited to “highways” when the act specifically limits itself to a “Highway”

Section 172:
No person shall drive a motor vehicle on a highway in a race or contest, while performing a stunt or on a bet or wager.

Since the scope of the act is limited (in sec 172) to highways. Stunting in a parking lot does seem to be OK.
If you hit a car or damage property while in the parking lot the sections of the act regarding reporting of accidents still apply.

It’s also illegal to race a horse on a highway :):
Horse racing on highway
173. No person shall race or drive furiously any horse or other animal on a highway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 173.

General rule.

HTA - Streets roads highways only. Private property no. From sidewalk to sidewalk. Few exceptions. Ie fail to report an accident, few others.....

CC (CRIMINAL CODE). - Anywhere. I.e dangerous driving, impaired, fail to stop for police, etc.

Nick Apex Brocha started a legal stunt spot with his buddys at Garage7

Buy or lease your own shop with a parking lot and you can pretty much do what you want there just like them. My shop is zoned to make noise 24/7 and there is no houses really close, so I can also do pretty much whatever I want there. I don't have the best parking lot surface right now, I am just waiting for the one day my landlord is forced to finally repave it. When that day comes it will be a sweet little spot to practice

Buy or lease your own shop with a parking lot and you can pretty much do what you want there just like them. My shop is zoned to make noise 24/7 and there is no houses really close, so I can also do pretty much whatever I want there. I don't have the best parking lot surface right now, I am just waiting for the one day my landlord is forced to finally repave it. When that day comes it will be a sweet little spot to practice

If the public can wander onto the property and you are stunting you could be charged with DD. Happened to a bunch of cannonball run types in Niagara Falls. A high fence and crash barriers would likely get you off.

If the public can wander onto the property and you are stunting you could be charged with DD. Happened to a bunch of cannonball run types in Niagara Falls. A high fence and crash barriers would likely get you off.

Although that is technically true, having been riding in other people parking lots for the last 10 years or so. The main factor when police shows up is guess what? "do you have permission to ride here". I have never been threatened to be charged with DD in a parking lot, and I have never heard any of my fiends or other local stunters experience the same either. Again it always seems to come down to "does the owner of the building give you permission to use their lot". So from that, I can not expect any different when Im actually on my own property. There is always the what if, but the only place I have ever been charged with DD is on the street, and the only time I had a real problem with police in a parking lot was because of my DD conviction.

Although that is technically true, having been riding in other people parking lots for the last 10 years or so. The main factor when police shows up is guess what? "do you have permission to ride here". I have never been threatened to be charged with DD in a parking lot, and I have never heard any of my fiends or other local stunters experience the same either. Again it always seems to come down to "does the owner of the building give you permission to use their lot". So from that, I can not expect any different when Im actually on my own property. There is always the what if, but the only place I have ever been charged with DD is on the street, and the only time I had a real problem with police in a parking lot was because of my DD conviction.

If you had permission and common sense was being used the main factor would be the nature of any spectator group. Having a lot of people with kids wandering about could be come a concern. I am under the impression that the Niagara incident had a decent sized crowd.

Back
Top Bottom