California bound on an FJR1300 in April | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

California bound on an FJR1300 in April

281526_10150309393222238_802369_n.jpg

Mt St Helens July 6, 2011- this is the route going up the mountain but i guess the lookout point is open.

I need help! I just realized my bike has what I think is a "BMW Style 12v Socket." My GPS has a conventional automotive 12V connector. I have located what I think I need. Tourtech sells a "BMW Motorcycle Plug to Cigarette Lighter Adapter," but it's too late to be ordering on-line. Any body know where I can buy one of these adapters in the GTA? I checked to two bike dealers and all the electronics stores in Barrie and they didn't have a clue what I was tallking about. Tomorrow I will contact BMW dealer in Newmarket.

You don't "have" to use the BMW socket you know.. The BMW dealer is a good place to go tomorrow I agree, but you do have another option..

Battery tender ring harness screwed onto the battery terminals directly. The SAE connector on the other end can plug into a lot more adapters.

battery_tender_sae_quick_disconnect_harness_rollover.jpg

Actually I already have a battery tender hot wired to my battery. I didn't think of that. So now I guess I need a an SAE connector to cigarette 12Volt socket. Where do I get one of those?

Dual Sport will have what you need!
http://www.dualsportplus.com

"Bingo!" You are the man Koval. I never heard of that place but they have every thing I need .
Their location is perfect. I'll just stop in to Stoney Creek on my way to my Buffalo border crossing next week.
Thanks a lot.

Last edited:
Great people to deal with and they always have what I need in stock!

ana5atu5.jpg

You can make this easily from parts available in Canadian tire. I made it 8 yrs ago and still use it. Just make sure to wire it properly + and -.

I got this 12 volt adapter that go direct to your battery if you want them, will mount to your handlebar.

Last edited:
They have an open house tomorrow. Ride down to Hamilton and join the fun.

"Bingo!" You are the man Koval. I never heard of that place but they have every thing I need .
Their location is perfect. I'll just stop in to Stoney Creek on my way to my Buffalo border crossing next week.
Thanks a lot.

I have an extra one. It's for Gerbing and I use the same one with my BMW. Let me if you want it.

photo 2.jpg

Last edited:
Just be careful the battery doesn't drain down - there will be some cold nights.
Some bikes, the Burgman included will - the 12 volt socket is dead if the key is not on so accessories don't kill the battery.

How old is your battery?

Even running - if you have a bunch of stuff plugged in especially anything heated you can slowly drain the battery down. A small set of jumpers designed for a motorcycle might be a useful thing to pack.

Last edited:
I have an extra one. It's for Gerbing and I use the same one with my BMW. Let me if you want it.

View attachment 34544

Thank you for your kindness RV125, but that is the wrong cord for me. That cord is for heated clothing. I need a bmw plug to automotive 12v receptacle adapter. My clothing cord is already hot wired to my bike.

ana5atu5.jpg

You can make this easily from parts available in Canadian tire. I made it 8 yrs ago and still use it. Just make sure to wire it properly + and -.

I got this 12 volt adapter that go direct to your battery if you want them, will mount to your handlebar.

Thanks for your kind offer Djez. I realize I could always swap out my BMW receptacle for an automotive 12v socket direct to the battery, but I don't have time for that now. I like your double 12v socket to SAE jack adapter. I may pick one of those up as well.

Just be careful the battery doesn't drain down - there will be some cold nights.
Some bikes, the Burgman included will - the 12 volt socket is dead if the key is not on so accessories don't kill the battery.

How old is your battery?

Even running - if you have a bunch of stuff plugged in especially anything heated you can slowly drain the battery down. A small set of jumpers designed for a motorcycle might be a useful thing to pack.

You make some excellent points Macdoc. First let me start by explaining my electrical situation. I have a brand new battery. My FJR's alternator cranks out a max of 490 watts. I am told by those on the FJR Forum that the bike has 120-130w spare capacity. With that in mind, I have a jacket liner that eats 70w, heated grips 30w (I'm guessing), and a GPS at may be 30w. Suffice to say that my system is maxed out when I operate all electrical accessories simultaneously. I currently have heated grips, a battery tender, jacket liner, and 12v socket hooked directly to battery. It's the heated grips that present a potential problem If I"m not careful. Since they are connected directly to the battery, they operate even with the ignition turned off. Thanks a lot for bringing this latter issue to my attention.

I will try to set the thermostats on heated grips and jacket liner to mid-levels to conserve power.

Last edited:
Another option, this from Powerlet, SAE to cigarette socket, should be on the shelf at Dualsport Plus.

PAC-024-03_p_70_webl.jpg

I'd bet with high beams on you may have less spare than you think and what happens is you can blow the alternator with too much draw....heaven help you if you hit the horn.

It's one reason I went with a jacket liner that had rechargeable batteries.
Grips run 30-50 watts but I find I only use the Burgman's at 50% or less. Depends on how much wind hits your hands and of course how cold it is.

Unfortunately if you are sightseeing - frequent stops and starts puts additional load and the lights are permanently on so you need to be aware of that load all the time and damn it will draw down quick if you happen to leave the key in the on position while gawking and in your case it's worse with the grips being always on.

If the battery can be topped up with a trickle charger every night then that makes things a whole lot better...also having a new one is a big plus.
It's one of those "gotcha" issues but glad you are aware of it.

I ran heated jacket, pants gloves on a cbr125, just remember to turn your heated gears off 5-10 mins before stopping. A lithium car-booster battery pack is a good insurance.

Back
Top Bottom