California bound on an FJR1300 in April | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

California bound on an FJR1300 in April

In mid May some mountain passes will be closed !
Must see roads? Million-Dollar Highway ( US 550 ) between Ouray and Silverton, Wolf Creek Pass, Loveland Pass, Berthhoud Pass, Independence Pass, Blue Mesa, Battle Mountain Pass, Cottonwood Pass, Lizard Head Pass, Trail Ridge Road ( US 34 ), Boulder Canyon Drive ( CO 119 ).....just to name few!

:( Roads that I missed. My excuse was snow/rain forecast in the high area, my new to me bike was already struggling with altitude (carb), and I need to catch a flight.
Reason to go back. :)

:( Roads that I missed. My excuse was snow/rain forecast in the high area, my new to me bike was already struggling with altitude (carb), and I need to catch a flight.
Reason to go back. :)
*** off topic ***
That's my excuse...going back in 2015. Last year, we've run out of time to ride parts of Colorado north of I-70.
I see you're no stranger to long distance travel.....;) This year we are riding Natchez Trace Parkway, Three Sisters and Ozark Mountains.....any tips, points of interest, etc?

Please update us on your trip when you return. I also own an FJR1300 and am curious how it performed on the long haul. I'm guessing based on the performance of mine so far it should handle quite well.

"I did ride from Vegas to Toronto during the week long Christmas break."

Wow Djez! You're my hero.

If you can handle that you can handle any thing. People think I'm crazy headed south in mid April, but I'm heading straight south and staying south until May.

Please update us on your trip when you return. I also own an FJR1300 and am curious how it performed on the long haul. I'm guessing based on the performance of mine so far it should handle quite well.

I should clarify that my FJR is not new. It is an 2005 unit that I just picked up from Snow City Cycle. I bought it not because it is pristine but because it came with over $2500 in touring accessories. It has a Corbin seat, extended windshield, highway pegs, 12v plug, heated grips, hand guards, frame sliders, GPS mounting hardware, Givi top case, front and rear fender extenders, and an illuminated brake activated license bracket light. I haven't picked it up yet. They are busy going over it with a fine tooth comb right now. I am putting new tires, new brake pads and fluid flush, air filter, wheel bearings, spark plugs, syncing throttle bodies, engine oil change, differential oil change, new battery with tender, and rad antifreeze flush. It is blue. The body panels are clean except for the bags which have a lot of scuffs. I will get my buddy Cheekee Bandito to paint them when I return from my trip.

Where's your sense of adventure? 6c and wet.....did you cry ?

Avoid nothing and your trip will be that much more memorable!

So, let me get this straight.. I ride into Colorado Mountains in April/May, where the temps are guaranteed to drop below 0c. I may get stuck in the middle of mountains bec of a snow storm or rain turning into ice overnight, and can't ride until sometime next week till the roads are cleared.
Sounds like an adventure lolz

To me, the difference between 0c and 6c is much greater than 6c and 26c. To stick to an imaginary schedule and cover ground, I gota make sure I'm comfortable, and I know very well how the cold can turn fun into hassle (as also seen on WheelieBoy thread).

*** off topic ***
That's my excuse...going back in 2015. Last year, we've run out of time to ride parts of Colorado north of I-70.
I see you're no stranger to long distance travel.....;) This year we are riding Natchez Trace Parkway, Three Sisters and Ozark Mountains.....any tips, points of interest, etc?

Haven't been to those roads but plan to ride Natchez Trace Parkway this year.
I guess my tips are - stay off the Interstate and ride it like you stole it :).

Detour east for Barber Vintage Motorsport Museum. It's worth the ride if you haven't been there.

On my way back east I will proceed to Monument Valley Utah, and evaluate whether I return via Colorado or by-pass that area and return home via New Mexico based on weather forcast. I want to see Colorado badly, but I won't be fool hardy. Zero temps at night don't bother me. I can always get started later in the morning as long as day time temps are well above freezing. Remember, I don't have a schedule so I have all the time in the world. My hunch is that I will not by-pass Colorado if I can help it. It's just too beautiful.

Last edited:
http://www.cotrip.org/home.htm
This website is being updated several times a day, so check it often when in Colorado.
I would recommend a detour to Escalante, Utah.....go north on 89 from Arizona state line to 12 and east on 12 to Escalante. In Escalante ask for directions to Burr Trail Road ( pure awesomeness...runs south of 12, east of Escalante, but easily missed).

http://www.cotrip.org/home.htm
This website is being updated several times a day, so check it often when in Colorado.
I would recommend a detour to Escalante, Utah.....go north on 89 from Arizona state line to 12 and east on 12 to Escalante. In Escalante ask for directions to Burr Trail Road ( pure awesomeness...runs south of 12, east of Escalante, but easily missed).

Thanks Koval 68, that Colorado site is awesome!

I see you live in Newmarket. I lived in Aurora for 26 years until 6 months ago due to personal issues.

Last edited:
On my way back east I will proceed to Monument Valley Utah, and evaluate whether I return via Colorado or by-pass that area and return home via New Mexico based on weather forcast. I want to see Colorado badly, but I won't be fool hardy. Zero temps at night don't bother me. I can always get started later in the morning as long as day time temps are well above freezing. Remember, I don't have a schedule so I have all the time in the world. My hunch is that I will not by-pass Colorado if I can help it. It's just too beautiful.
I wouldn't worry too much.....the most southern part of Colorado is a home to two major skii areas, Telluride and Wolf Creek, so all roads leading to those will be open. If I were you, I would set my course for Cortez, CO. From Cortez take 145 to Telluride ( check status of Lizard Head Pass before leaving Cortez), after break in Telluride continue on 145 to 62, go east on 62 to 550 ( Million Dollar Highway ), take 550 south to Ouray. From Ouray continue south on 550 to Silverton (best stretch of 550) and later to Durango. From Durango go east on 160 to South Fork via Pagosa Springs and Wolf Creek Pass. From South Fork you can continue east on 160 or go north on 149 (...if Spring Creek Pass is open) to Gunnison.

Its pretty well a guarantee that you will not see everything you want to see. Despite my two previous tours out to Colorado/Utah/Arizona/New Mexico and then my trip to AZ this year and renting a bike for the week - still a lot of places I wanted to see that I just didn't have time. And that's not including any time in California or Nevada.

So relax and follow the sun. Its impossible right now to even guess what its going to be like in Colorado in May but there is plenty south of there to keep you happily riding. When I went the first time it was the second week in June and Trail Ridge Road had just opened - and some of the other passes were not open. And as you know, just because a road is opened for cars doesn't make it suitable for motorcycles.

You will have a great time - and if you don't make it to Colorado - it will still be there, because you will probably go back - you will join the ranks of those of us who are "hooked" by that wild free beauty - the mountains, the canyons, the deserts and too many Kodak moments to ever capture.

Thanks for the encouragement Beastie Girl. You're right about not seeing every thing. Colorado is definitely on my to do list (even if I don't see all of it this time.) However, I am going to see lots of scenic mountain beauty in California. What's more, the weather won't be an issue there.

Last edited:
Keep dry/warm get available and shield all your things (including yourself) from getting wet.

Many mountain passes can drop below freezing depending on weather.

Snowstorms can pop out of no where and cover the whole state. Make sure to keep a close eye on weather and plan appropriate detours when possible.

I picked up my FJR at the dealer today and I've got to admit that I was a little nervous about riding it from Toronto to Barrie in plus 2 degree weather. However, my fears proved to be unfounded as I was toasty warm the whole time. Between my heated grips and my new heated jacket liner I was actually quite comfortable.
I considered today an acid test of sorts. As long as the roads are dry in the mountains I can deal with the cold. They are calling for plus 14 degree weather on Thursday. That may be my opportunity to shoot south and begin my journey. I'll admit, I am starting to get excited.

Congratulations on the new bike? that feeling of excitement before a big trip is always the best.

Safe travels and keep us posted on your journey!

We did some of your loop by car this November.
Try and catch, Zion, Arches and Bryce Canyon if it's not too chilly.
We did the Grand Canyon area in late April decades ago by car - it was chilly but certainly easily done with decent gear.
The canyon goes on forever so plot your route.

I'd cut over to Yosemite just for a day trip...the ride up to Glacier Point will be wild on a bike but worth the view. 9100' and no guard rails... :D

Screen%2520Shot%25202013-12-12%2520at%2520Dec%252C%252012%2520%2520%2520%25202013%2520%2520%2520%25207.02.26%2520AM.jpg

The PCH is brilliant north of LA but be prepared to be fogged out and cut inland...its just a drag in the fog.
There are a few photos here
https://picasaweb.google.com/113408714888195024530/PacificCoast
There are a few lovely roads that cut inland but you have to plot it a bit.

Drivers can get stupid and distracted along the PCH.

Try and catch Mount St. Helen's on the way north. - It's a quick couple of hours and worth it - nice ride up as well.

The area around Mount Rainer is nice but you'd have to suss out the good roads.

We'll be hitting Banff and then up to Alaska but that's after you get back.

BTW TomTom has a good offline GPS app with a Winding Roads feature that picks the twistiest route between two destinations. Kinda cool.

Also be careful with a phone sim if you are doing that.....coverage is spotty in the west for some of them.

Have fun.

Yosemite and Mt Rainer and definitely Mt, Saint Helens will still be closed. Although canyons near Virginia city ( Near Reno) will be a blast combined with circumnavigation of Lake Tahoe.

Back
Top Bottom