California bound on an FJR1300 in April | GTAMotorcycle.com

California bound on an FJR1300 in April

Carmen

While I have been on many over night bike excursions, all my past rides were no more than 5 days due to time constraints. I currently have nothing tying me down so I am finally going on the ride of my dreams. I plan to head south, then west into California. Ride highway 1 up the coast to B.C. Ride into Alberta, before I dip back into the states to see Wyoming, Colorado, etc, before heading back home through the U.S. This is just a general idea. Not sure if I'm going to be doing any camping (I don't like it), but cost may force me to consider it partially since I plan to be gone for a least a month. I still have my Bandit but I couldn't see my self going through the mountains without better wind protection, heated grips, cruise control, and luggage. I'm off to the Dominican next week. Then I will spend the next month or so planning my trip. I am open to advice on camping, or possible routes since these are new to me.

The Bandit can take you there 2 times and back, I had the 650. I find adding Handguards as effective as heated grips.
Hotels are cheap as long as you stay plan not to sleep near tourist trap destination i.e Monument valley. And if luggage is a premium, just leave the tent at home.

If i will do the trip again with the bandit i will add an auto chain oiler, even with constant lubing both our bandits 1200 and mine needed new chains half the way.

BearTooth pass may still be closed in April but if its open don't miss it.

Get the Butler Maps for each of the States you plan to ride in. Guarantees the best ride possible.
A well maintained Bandit would love that trip.
I have had a similar chain issue on my 1200 but Glen at Flying Squirrel sold me a no-stretch chain that worked (and even felt) much better. I do now have an all dressed 1250 Bandit for the long rides though.
MRA windscreen and wind has never been an issue.
Clip on throttle lock works great although I use it for a few seconds to shake out my wrist then it is off again.
If you can lock your throttle, your on the wrong road!
Luggage, I have a set of Givi soft bags I am not using. (although you can't beat hard bags or waterproof roll up bags.)

I too am looking for any excuse to grab the new FJR though!! They are amazing bikes and are meant for trips like the one you are planning.

For now enjoy the Dominican and getting away from this weather.

Thanks for the input guys. I love my Bandit. I am emotionally attached to it. It has 81,000 kms and has never given me any grief. It's really clean but holds little value in this market where every one seems to want a crotch rocket or a cruiser. The Bandit does every thing well but nothing exceptionally. If any one is interested in it its your for $2000. It is black and is stock except for a Corbin seat and smoked wind screen. But I digress, does anybody have any suggestions for a weather proof GPS that won't break the bank?

While I am not super experienced in touring, i have a 4-week and 3-week trip under my belt.

1. per matthew's suggestion, get heated gear. prevents you from needing too many layers and keeps you prepared for any scenario.
2. make sure you have a comfortable seat or cushion. i bought one of those $10 gel seats at CT and they were an arse-saver.
3. My GPS recommendation is the Nuvi 550. That's the one I'ved used for both trips. It is waterproof and works well (though admittedly tough to see when the sun is really shining). There may be a newer unit, but that's the one I have and has done me well. I also had maps as a backup. It was helpful when talking to locals about roads.

hope this helps.

While I have been on many over night bike excursions, all my past rides were no more than 5 days due to time constraints. I currently have nothing tying me down so I am finally going on the ride of my dreams. I plan to head south, then west into California. Ride highway 1 up the coast to B.C. Ride into Alberta, before I dip back into the states to see Wyoming, Colorado, etc, before heading back home through the U.S. This is just a general idea. Not sure if I'm going to be doing any camping (I don't like it), but cost may force me to consider it partially since I plan to be gone for a least a month. I still have my Bandit but I couldn't see my self going through the mountains without better wind protection, heated grips, cruise control, and luggage. I'm off to the Dominican next week. Then I will spend the next month or so planning my trip. I am open to advice on camping, or possible routes since these are new to me.

Does it have to be April? I would be concerned about it still being winter in the mountains, especially as you head north. My first trip to Colorado was the 2nd week in June and Trail Ridge Road had just opened the week before, there were snow banks higher than my bike on the side of the road and I was pelted with sleet. A few weeks earlier it would have been snow storms.

It has to be April because I may go to Europe at end of May. Besides I'm itching to go. I am aware of high elevation challenges. I plan to head straight south into warmer climates, may be all the way to the Florida Keys. Then head west along the southern states until I get to California, where I plan to linger for at least a week. I will not venture into higher elevations until May. Please suggest mountain passes to avoid if weather will be a problem there in May. I recall a post a couple years ago where a local guy got caught in snow crossing elevation in April. I may have to take a pass on Colorado.

Last March I was in Palm Springs for Ducati Training. I rode the new Multistrada and Hyperstrada in the mountains surrounding Palm Springs. We travelled up a serpentine road called 74 known as the Palms to Pines hwy. The road sign indicated that it lead all the way San Diego. Oh how I wanted to leave the riding group and continue up that mountain road! This time I plan to ride that road all the way to San Diego and up the coast on hwy 1. Its my dream. I know the weather will be good there. It was 28-30 degrees last year in Palm Springs in March.

Last edited:
Sounds like a dream trip for sure!!
If you do take the "Keys" route, Key West can be a pretty expensive place to stay, OK for a night or two I guess depending on your budget. If, on the way down you check at all the welcome/information places on each Key they can provide cheaper alternatives and hook you up with a better deal usually... Oh and don't forget to stop at Robbies mm 77.5 to feed the tarpon, best 5 or 6 bucks you'll spend down there. Some of those beasts are 5 and 6 ft. long!!
Have a blast and be safe!!

I have mapped out a rough route. I am headed south west via 79 to Charleston WV first night. From there I am making my way to California through Tennesee to Texas to southern desert states to California. I planning on spending a few days in CA as it is my favourite state. From San Diego I will take hwy 1 to San Francisco and head east from there to Yosemite, where I will head south through Death Valley to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon. From there I will head north to Salt Lake City where I will then go east in Colorado. I will traverse Colorado before heading south to Colorado Springs. I understand this is home of Pike's Peak. I have to see that. I will then leave Colorado and head east on a home ward journey through Ks, Ms, Ind, and PA. What is the earliest month I can traverse Colorado with out worring about sub 10 degree temperatures, and what are the "must see roads there?" As well which mountain passes should be avoided? I will likey be reaching Colorado in mid May.

Last edited:
I just picked up an Olympia Dakar jacket which has three layers. When the thermo and rain liners are removed, the 3/4 jacket becomes a summer mesh jacket-ingeneous! I wanted this for the desert portions of the trip. As well I just order a heated vest. I have a rain suit, and the bike has an oversized windshield with heat grips and hand guards. Hopefully I'm up to the task. I know the bike is.

I have mapped out a rough route. I am headed south west via 79 to Charleston WV first night. From there I am making my way to California through Tennesee to Texas to southern desert states to California. I planning on spending a few days in CA as it is my favourite state. From San Diego I will take hwy 1 to San Francisco and head east from there to Yosemite, where I will head south through Death Valley to Las Vegas and the Grand Canyon. From there I will head north to Salt Lake City where I will then go east in Colorado. I will traverse Colorado before heading south to Colorado Springs. I understand this is home of Pike's Peak. I have to see that. I will then leave Colorado and head east on a home ward journey through Ks, Ms, Ind, and PA. What is the earliest month I can traverse Colorado with out worring about sub 10 degree temperatures, and what are the "must see roads there?" As well which mountain passes should be avoided? I will likey be reaching Colorado in mid May.
In mid May some mountain passes will be closed !
Must see roads? Million-Dollar Highway ( US 550 ) between Ouray and Silverton, Wolf Creek Pass, Loveland Pass, Berthhoud Pass, Independence Pass, Blue Mesa, Battle Mountain Pass, Cottonwood Pass, Lizard Head Pass, Trail Ridge Road ( US 34 ), Boulder Canyon Drive ( CO 119 ).....just to name few!

In mid May some mountain passes will be closed !
Must see roads? Million-Dollar Highway ( US 550 ) between Ouray and Silverton, Wolf Creek Pass, Loveland Pass, Berthhoud Pass, Independence Pass, Blue Mesa, Battle Mountain Pass, Cottonwood Pass, Lizard Head Pass, Trail Ridge Road ( US 34 ), Boulder Canyon Drive ( CO 119 ).....just to name few!

Some of these have been at 6c and wet in mid August when I was there. OP - Id try to avoid Colorado and Utah in May, but then check out Wheelieboy's thread. Hes been to Colorado during his Cali trip in late April I believe.

Some of these have been at 6c and wet in mid August when I was there. OP - Id try to avoid Colorado and Utah in May, but then check out Wheelieboy's thread. Hes been to Colorado during his Cali trip in late April I believe.
Where's your sense of adventure? 6c and wet.....did you cry ?

Avoid nothing and your trip will be that much more memorable!

A couple of years ago I rode to Lake Placid the second week of September.When I left my hotel in Gananoque it was 10 degrees and pouring rain. I put on my rain suit and stuck to my plan. By the time I reached the mountains it was still raining and about 5 degrees. Definitely my most miserable ride. I think I can handle 10 degrees with dry conditons all day long. It's the cold rain that eventually breaks your will after a few hours. Btw, how I do I go about finding that old thread of Wheelie Boy's trip to CA?

Last edited:
http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforum/showthread.php?141908

This was our trip in June done by 2 Bandit on 2 Bandits. Check the video after Beartooth pass. Temp can really vary from heatwave in chicago to hailstorm in montana. I was only miserable once, wet and cold crossing the rockies to BC.
I did rode from Vegas to Toronto during the weeklong xmass break.

Heated Grips and jacket are great :)

http://youtu.be/VcZ-Vva-NDs

Another piece of equipment that i can suggest is to grab a cooling vest. They are good as an extra layer when dry and a life saver in the Desert , you can grab one for like 30$.

Whatever heated jacket you got, bring spare wiring.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom