State Farm Yuck | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

State Farm Yuck

Try calling Seamus Kelly. He's in the insurance section of the site. Was very friendly and helpful.

I called re my 1500 Goldwing. They asked what I was paying ($1600 with Echilon) Clean slate 40 years licence. They didn't even look up an exact rate, just told me it would be about a thousand more. Does that sound familiar? i.e. We don't want new business.

Isn't SF being bought up by someone, maybe someone who doesn't want bikes.

I was told my rate was high because of the engine size. As if a litre bike is less likely to go popping wheelies.

I called re my 1500 Goldwing. They asked what I was paying ($1600 with Echilon) Clean slate 40 years licence. They didn't even look up an exact rate, just told me it would be about a thousand more. Does that sound familiar? i.e. We don't want new business.

I was told my rate was high because of the engine size. As if a litre bike is less likely to go popping wheelies.

State Farm in Canada was just bought by Desjardins Group. I just received my renewal yesterday for my Honda CBR600RR and it went up over $200 since last year and I am now 30 with no tickets. Looks like Desjardins doesn't want the bike insurance. Ironically I received a letter about a month ago from State Farm saying nothing is going to change it is going to be the same old State Farm....Yeah right.

From what I understand State Farm charges purely by CC and does not care what the bike is.

For the absolute cheapest prices you'd want to try a state farm in a smaller city or large town but shop around, different SF agents give better prices. I tried most of the groups and brokers listed on one thread here (several dozen) and couldn't find cheaper for a 05 YZF-R6 than a state farm $1452 full coverage with only 6 months of current riding/insurance and not adding car or house / anything for extra discounts at the age of 24.

Try Renata Midura:
https://www.statefarm.ca/agent/CA/ON/Mississauga/Renata-Midura-13YQR1YS000

Wow is all I can say.
Trying to insure both car and bike together, with 1 minor ticket. 15 under.

State farm want $8000 for the car. That is $6000 over what I am paying now.
For the Bike $1000 over what I am now paying.
Told every time that it is the minor conviction that State farm put me into plan B. Which means Bend over.

Oh well, it was a good experience. Lesson learned.
Thanks to all for your recommendations.

btw, doesn't matter if you went 2km over or 40km over...it's the same thing to them, which is a bunch of bs.

State Farm is not what it used to be. After they made a loss, they increased their price. I was with them for 9 yrs then leave them for Allstate

Regarding insurance companies 'not wanting bikes'. It's really a matter of lack of competition.

In a free market, someone would look at these ridiculous rates, find out what's causing them, cut that out, and offer better service/lower prices. In the case of Ontario, it's likely fraud. We've already determined it's not the accident benefits (which were reduced bigtime recently, and didn't make a damn difference to rates), so clearly, something else is causing these rates.

After doing my research I have found what are the deciding factors with State Farm.
Give really large quotes. In excess of $1000 plus to really stupid quotes $6000 plus (Yes, that reads six thousand Dollars)
Then call the client, and record our comments so that when they all get together on a junket they play back to see who gets the biggest laugh.
The winner is then awarded the State Farm Jokers Trophy.
Really, how can anybody justify the outrageous prices.

Here's the thing with State Farm and the agency model. Even with Desjardins, not much will change in the short term because they will license the State Farm brand for a few years and retain the agencies. Most agencies, as independent operators, try to keep their clientele in the low risk category. State Farm as a whole is a low risk company and agents will even recommend that you go elsewhere if you fall under any high risk scenarios. These are, but are not limited to, your age, if you have 1 ticket (bumps you up to Plan B, most agents prefer only Plan A policy holders) and above all, even with a clean record, where you live. For cars as an example, the highest risk areas for State Farm I believe were Brampton, Toronto and Guelph up top. Moving to Toronto with the same record and car saw my rate go from $125/ month to $270/ month just with a change of postal code. Switching to TD brought it back down.

On the bike side, things were different. Brokers and Riders Plus I found charged more in the first of riding and believe it or not, State Farm came in the lowest for the first year. The story changed after switching to a 744 CC standard bike and my rate shot up to something crazy, which also leads me to believe that they do care a lot about higher CCs regardless of bike type. Switching to TD also fixed the issue with a Ride and Drive discount along with an alumni discount. I've found TD and Riders Plus to have fantastic rates for all the quotes I've looked at over the past three years for anyone 25 plus.

Wow is all I can say.
Trying to insure both car and bike together, with 1 minor ticket. 15 under.

State farm want $8000 for the car. That is $6000 over what I am paying now.
For the Bike $1000 over what I am now paying.
Told every time that it is the minor conviction that State farm put me into plan B. Which means Bend over.

Oh well, it was a good experience. Lesson learned.
Thanks to all for your recommendations.

Hey, I noticed you keep stating "15 under". What do you mean by that exactly? What was the conviction?

Hey, I noticed you keep stating "15 under". What do you mean by that exactly? What was the conviction?

Good point. Sorry if my interpretation was confusing. As opposed to a large speeding ticket it supposed to mean 15 kms as the actual speed I was doing above the speed limit. Which means it is a minor ticket.

Hope this helps.

Hey no worries! I used to work for one of these companies during school.

It's honestly really worth taking the time to get a quote from as many places as you can. Something that seems so trivial can have a huge impact by no fault of your own. Vifferfun's sticky/ flow chart was a great help for me in narrowing down the brokers and companies to check out this month.

Hey no worries! I used to work for one of these companies during school.

It's honestly really worth taking the time to get a quote from as many places as you can. Something that seems so trivial can have a huge impact by no fault of your own. Vifferfun's sticky/ flow chart was a great help for me in narrowing down the brokers and companies to check out this month.

Cheers mate.
Oh yes. I have called no end of companies. Name them and I called them. In the end my decision has been to stay with my current Insurance company.
They are very easy to deal with and the difference between chalk and cheese amongst the other brokers and insurance companies. I am sure many here have called around and found that some of them make out they are doing you the favour. They are not going to get my money.

state farm is trying to get out of the insurance business in canada. They're selling everything to dejardins (i think)

For now, I don't think they want ANY new customers, unless they're willing to pay huge profits.

Where did you hear this?
Im getting paperwork done this week for insurance with statefarm.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

Ok. So as a soon to be customer it doesn't seem to affect my quote that I received last week. I was also in contact with my agent today and there is also no change.

Im guessing the agents will still be there just the actually insurance will be underwritten by dejarden rather then state farm.

Kind of like belair is underwritten by nordic.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

This was all covered in previous posts about State Farm and the Dejardins purchase.
Desjardins will complete the purchase of State Farm in January 2015 and the existing state farm brokers have a contract with Desjardins till Septamber 2015.
All the insurance policies stay in force....as they are... till September 2015....after that no one knows (at State Farm) whats going to happen as there are no other commitments from Desjardins.
If you have a cruiser,touring or standard type bike you should be ok (not sure about rates but Desjardins should continue to offer insurance) but if you have a super sport you should be looking for a new company because Desjardins does not insure super sports.....period.

Back
Top Bottom