Federal politics | GTAMotorcycle.com

Federal politics

I don't know if the senate scandal has been enough to open people's eyes and see the man Harper and party that programs him.

Politics in this country would have become very interesting if Layton had survived.

If Justin Trudeau's last name was Johnson he'd be selling used cars in Saskatoon.

This mornings political recap brought to you by Tchibo Coffee

I don't know if the senate scandal has been enough to open people's eyes and see the man Harper and party that programs him.

Politics in this country would have become very interesting if Layton had survived.

If Justin Trudeau's last name was Johnson he'd be selling used cars in Saskatoon.

This mornings political recap brought to you by Tchibo Coffee

People will tend to believe what their personal bias tells them is true.

"Next week, on Amish Mafia......"

Boy, I dislike Harper. He just doesn't seem Canadian, or human for that matter. (But then neither did Ignatieff.) That proroging of parliament was a slime ball move.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/glob...use-canadians-want-it-banned/article13935119/

Don't think the Libs or Dippers would have been any different. In fact, if you're a real skeptic, you could consider the possibility that a side effect of Harper doing this actually saves the bacon of not only some Cons, but also Libs and Dippers cuz for sure, they are all a den of thieves.....

Don't think the Libs or Dippers would have been any different. In fact, if you're a real skeptic, you could consider the possibility that a side effect of Harper doing this actually saves the bacon of not only some Cons, but also Libs and Dippers cuz for sure, they are all a den of thieves.....

Aside from people like Rob M, I think almost everyone ignores or glosses over the facts, and continues to support the party they have always supported. Just like there is a Ford nation, there is also a Con nation, Lib nation, and NDP nation.

I quite enjoy Rob's insight and respect much of what he writes, even if I don't agree with all of it. However, he has his own biases and ideologies, just like the balance of the free world.

We all have our biases. I'm what most would refer to as a centrist, a "compassionate conservative" or, in their early days, a "progressive conservative" (note all of the lower case letters). My bias is that I believe we are what drives politics, that we as the electorate must take things in hand, and that we need to get back to the concept of 'responsible government' that this nation was founded upon. Partisan politics and political parties be damned. The labels no longer apply, in any real sense.

People will tend to believe what their personal bias tells them is true.

"Next week, on Amish Mafia......"

Years ago someone wrote a nasty tell all about Frank Sinatra. A critic made the accurate assessment that people that hated Sinatra would say "I told you so." and people that loved him would either disbelieve or say "Poor man. Look what he's been through." Nothing would change. Politics are about the same.

An interesting spin on the Trudeau ads. My wife refuses to listen to anything political. She thought Trudeau was Conservative because as soon as she heard "Justin Trudeau" she mentally plugged her ears. Upon unplugging them she heard "Conservative Party of Canada."

All advertizing is good advertizing?

Was just reading how Turdo had Lawrence summers as one of his economic panelists at the convention. Well good old Larry is an American and it seems that most of his economic experience isn't exactly what is happening up here, yet turdo is parroting all kinds of things about the "middle class" that might be true in the US, but doesn't fit the stats up here.

Keep talking justin.....

It's a thankless job and everyone is a critic and has an opinion. The system is rigged to avoid accountability and create as many layers of bureaucracy to make it hard to understand the issues. The worse part is......in general we've become so cynical that billions in waste, poor policies, poor decisions, inflated incomes and pensions, mis managed expenses, when stuff like this happens, we don't actually feel the true magnitude of it. We complain about the cost of fuel, taxes, stuff.......as as long as the price doesn't double over night, we'll just complain some more and let the machine keep chugging along.

Harper maybe a robot but, out of the three "choices" we have, they are the least ones to damage things any more. The NDP will have us all working for unions for companies that will close up shop and move out of the country but, don't worry, they make EI benefits available to everyone for indefinite time, if not just go on welfare or better yet, work for minimum wage which will be $20/hr if they get power. But, the union dues will make the wage only be $10 net.

Liberals will let us smoke pot in the unemployment line.

conservatives? Well at least they are renovating the federal prisons to accommodate those that can't afford to live on honest wages.

Looking forward to the day they lock me up and throw away the key!!!

kidding of course.

conservatives? Well at least they are renovating the federal prisons to accommodate those that can't afford to live on honest wages.

If they privatize the prisons and lock up all the pot smokers invest in the prison companies.

If they privatize the prisons and lock up all the pot smokers invest in the prison companies.

Yup, nothing like good ol' American social conservative and neo-con false 'tough on crime' politics to totally screw over a justice system, that already works fundamentally better than does theirs.

I'm not a quick study. I remember, as a kid, when I graduated from the comic strips and sports pages to the front section. Holy moly what a mess! Good job rational people are at the controls I thought. This'll all get sorted out and then life can go on as normal. Not. Five decades later it's the same except better or worse depending on who you're talking to. This is the normal. Took a long time to figure that out. There's no fixing it. Vote, don't vote, mark your ballet in protest, scream at the TV, out intellectualize your internet opponent, send a finely crafted letter to the editor so the wider public can roll their eyes if that makes you feel better. Politics, what a game:eek:

Rob,

So you appreciate that Justin is running a Obama style hope and change campaign.

I'm curious though, even of Harper and mulchair are running negative ads, are any of what they are saying true?

You are up in arms because Harper lied, isn't that akin to running an attack ad? For sure Harper has done a few good things in 7ish years. Why focus on the negative?

Rob,

So you appreciate that Justin is running a Obama style hope and change campaign.

I'm curious though, even of Harper and mulchair are running negative ads, are any of what they are saying true?

You are up in arms because Harper lied, isn't that akin to running an attack ad? For sure Harper has done a few good things in 7ish years. Why focus on the negative?

No, I'm pleased that Trudeau is not running a negative, American style campaign. There is a difference.

I wouldn't say that Harper has done much that is good, as much as he's done station keeping duty and not screwed some things up incredibly. There's just too much that he's done wrong, for me to support him.

And you haven't actually replied to my comment with respect to giving your support to has actually done something wrong, because you're afraid that the other guy might do something wrong. You know; the loaded vs. questionably loaded gun comment. Time for you to defend yourself, rather than just attack the clear and easily understood statements of someone else ;)

I think its a little early to comment on how parties are running their campaigns... it hasn't really begun.

I think its a little early to comment on how parties are running their campaigns... it hasn't really begun.

The Conservatives have been campaigning for months, even leaving aside their use of your money for their "Canada's Action Plan" commercials.

No, I'm pleased that Trudeau is not running a negative, American style campaign. There is a difference.

I wouldn't say that Harper has done much that is good, as much as he's done station keeping duty and not screwed some things up incredibly. There's just too much that he's done wrong, for me to support him.

And you haven't actually replied to my comment with respect to giving your support to has actually done something wrong, because you're afraid that the other guy might do something wrong. You know; the loaded vs. questionably loaded gun comment. Time for you to defend yourself, rather than just attack the clear and easily understood statements of someone else ;)

All I've been commenting on (attack? do you view this as a hostile exchange?) is that to say Harper is a liar but then to say you'll give Justin a chance simply because he hasn't run any attack ads seem to me to be a bit simplistic.

Keeping in mind that Harper was in the minority for the first term effectively making it a lame duck gubment, I think that overall Harper has done pretty well in terms of the economy (ya ya, he got a good economy from the Libs, of course Scheller will be quick to say Obama got a bad one from bush, sooooo, good economy the libs get credit, but the bad economy it's all Bush's fault down there, as usual the Libs wanting to have it both ways...)

I also think overall Harper has done well for foreign policy, turfing the LGR, I like keystone XL, etc.

Justin is going to run a US Style Obama campaign because he has the same plans for Canada as Obama had for the US, even using actual US issues to create his playbook here, even though we don't have the same issues (lost in space Justin??). I'd like to learn from the HUGE mistake that Obama has been in the US.

Maybe we should have a friendly wager as to whether or not Justin will honour his promise of not raising taxes (and of course you're smart enough to agree that other "fees/service charges/etc" are nothing more than taxes.)

And, back to my question about the "attack ads". Is there even a hint of truth in them at all? Cuz if there is, whazdaproblem???

Back
Top Bottom