Topic: marijuana | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Topic: marijuana

I think that the primary issue for our next Federal election should be the American style politicking that a certain party is partaking of which includes mischaracterizations, that seem to imply that the voters are idiots.

I'm dense, please restate in English.

And if voters do actually vote for Justin, then they truly are the same type of idiots that voted for Obama not once but twice.....

I think he was suggesting the Harperites were using 50 year old Reefer Madness ads to dis JT. That implied voters were idiots and something should be done about the campaigning. IMO most voters are idiots but the ads reflect the logic of dropping "Progressive" from the party name.

If legalizing pot is the primary issue for our next fed election then we are even more screwed than I feared....

Agreed.

I use pot regularly, and i don't care about if it is legal or not.

I have never had an issue obtaining it, and using it. It is legal enough IMO.

If this is what the political agenda is about, than I'm worried about other more troublesome problems.

Here come's Canada's Obama....

Trudeau casts himself as purveyor of hope, economic growth, rivals as divisive

By Joan Bryden, The Canadian Press | The Canadian Press – 7 hours ago

MONTREAL - Justin Trudeau cast himself Thursday as a purveyor of hope and economic growth as he opened his first national Liberal convention since being crowned leader last April.
He positioned himself in contrast to what he termed "the politics of division," which he maintained is practised by Prime Minister Stephen Harper, NDP Leader Tom Mulcair and Parti Quebecois Premier Pauline Marois.
"My friends, I have no interest in joining Mr. Harper and Mr. Mulcair in a competition to see who can make Canadians angrier," he told some 3,000 delegates.
"We are here to hope. We are here to work hard. We are here to build. We are here to put together the team and the plan to make this country better."
That said, Trudeau was not above taking shots at his rivals, particularly Harper whom he indirectly blamed for the popularity of the PQ's controversial charter of Quebec values, which bans public servants from wearing prominent religious symbols.
Under Harper, Trudeau said incomes of middle class Canadians have stagnated, household debt has skyrocketed and the gap between rich and poor has widened. And that, he said, has created an environment in which intolerance thrives.
"People are susceptible to fearful, divisive messages when they're worried, worried about their jobs, their debts, their retirement, their kids' futures," he said.
"In a growing and fair economy, the PQ's divisive plan would not only be unrealistic, it would be unthinkable."
As he's done since launching his leadership campaign 18 months ago, Trudeau stressed that his focus is on improving the lot of the struggling middle class. And he urged the delegates to keep tightly focused on that goal as they consider policy resolutions over the next three days.
The occasion was marred slightly when a rehearsal of his opening speech was inadvertently broadcast to the media room several hours before he was to officially welcome some the delegates to his hometown of Montreal.
The practice run included a video call to his wife, Sophie Gregoire, who is staying at home in Ottawa because she's due to give birth to their third child any day, and their two children.
When it came time for the real thing, seven-year-old Xavier stole the show, jumping on and off the couch where his mother was attempting to address the convention and shoving his face into the camera.
Gregoire used the call to tell Trudeau she's proud of him and to remind him to be "courageous, fearless, humble and to remember that, no matter how much power or influence or responsibility we are given ... we are here to serve all Canadians."
Trudeau also took aim at the Harper government's proposed overhaul of the Elections Act, saying it can be summed up as: "The government will let you vote, if you insist, but really they'd rather you didn't."
Canadians are counting on Liberals to fight the reforms, he said, vowing: "We won't let you down."
It was at that point during the rehearsal that Trudeau demonstrated his mastery of television, instructing camera operators on the shot he wanted so that's he'd appear to be directly addressing viewers.
"That's a moment when the camera needs to be locked on me because I stare right at the camera," he advised.
Trudeau repeatedly told delegates that the convention is about building "the team and the plan" that will take the party into the 2015 election.
The convention is being used to showcase some of the star candidates Trudeau has recruited to run for the party in the next election and to give a glimpse of the platform he intends to run on.
The emphasis on team and plan is reminiscent of the campaign run by Jean Chretien in 1993, when he led the Liberals out of opposition wilderness with the refrain: "We have the plan. We have the people. We can make a difference."
It is aimed at dispelling Canadians' qualms — stoked by Conservative attack ads — that Trudeau has neither the judgment nor experience to be prime minister.

And if voters do actually vote for Justin, then they truly are the same type of idiots that voted for Obama not once but twice.....

I thought it was pretty plain. The "Reefer Madness" comment was a link to the sort of panicky idiocy that the handbill KLR Guy posted reflects, that I do not ascribe to.

The implication that voters are idiots comes from the Conservatives apparent belief that voters can't differentiate between the concept of a regulated business, like the LCBO, and standing on a street corner selling drugs. It also implies that voters aren't already aware that their children can likely come up with a personal supply of weed in minutes, already. It's the sort of paternalistic pandering that has already seen two hard core Conservative voters, of my acquaintance, swear that they aren't voting Conservative this time.

The part about American Style Politicking is with respect to incessant negative campaigning and character assassination, that the Conservative Party has engaged in these past years. Hardly a surprise, given that they've had some of the same advisers.

And if voters vote for Justin, given the current standings, then they would be voting for someone who has been assiduously avoiding negative campaigning. Whether or not he's the right man for the job, it makes him the more palatable choice. I would tend to think that the term 'idiot' would better apply to those who have swallowed the Conservative Kool-Aid about them being the better conservators of the public purse (when they started by spending significantly more than the Liberals ever had after they Liberals had reduced the deficit, and were starting to pay down the debt, which is the sort of thing we sorely need), after they had already ignored Contempt of Parliament and given the same politicians, who have obvious contempt for those who elected them, a majority government. How many Conservative voters would sign a blank cheque? I suspect very few.

But I still prefer my much shorter version, that should have been self explanatory.

I thought it was pretty plain. The "Reefer Madness" comment was a link to the sort of panicky idiocy that the handbill KLR Guy posted reflects, that I do not ascribe to.

The implication that voters are idiots comes from the Conservatives apparent belief that voters can't differentiate between the concept of a regulated business, like the LCBO, and standing on a street corner selling drugs. It also implies that voters aren't already aware that their children can likely come up with a personal supply of weed in minutes, already. It's the sort of paternalistic pandering that has already seen two hard core Conservative voters, of my acquaintance, swear that they aren't voting Conservative this time.

The part about American Style Politicking is with respect to incessant negative campaigning and character assassination, that the Conservative Party has engaged in these past years. Hardly a surprise, given that they've had some of the same advisers.

And if voters vote for Justin, given the current standings, then they would be voting for someone who has been assiduously avoiding negative campaigning. Whether or not he's the right man for the job, it makes him the more palatable choice. I would tend to think that the term 'idiot' would better apply to those who have swallowed the Conservative Kool-Aid about them being the better conservators of the public purse (when they started by spending significantly more than the Liberals ever had after they Liberals had reduced the deficit, and were starting to pay down the debt, which is the sort of thing we sorely need), after they had already ignored Contempt of Parliament and given the same politicians, who have obvious contempt for those who elected them, a majority government. How many Conservative voters would sign a blank cheque? I suspect very few.

But I still prefer my much shorter version, that should have been self explanatory.

Despite your view of the failings of the Cons, I think that implying that because Justin is somehow more palatable as a prospective leader because he doesn't use attack ads (yet....) would appear to me to be at best a bit simple minded.

We need the best person for the job, even if it's the best of a bad lot. Justin's hair and pot loving approach doesn't make him a good leader, even if he doesn't name call.

And, it appears that based on what's happening at the Libtard convention they are just ramping up their old style rhetoric and illogical emotional "we know better" than you silly middle class western/ non Quebec voters. They are just starting up their "old boys club" again.

Regardless of how much you may dislike Harper, as I've said a number of times, if Justin ever gets in we will all rue the day he was conceived.

. It also implies that voters aren't already aware that their children can likely come up with a personal supply of weed in minutes, already.

My pot dealer doesn't ask for ID for proof of age :)

If they legalize weed then cops will actually have to do some work finding criminals instead of busting teens for petty possession an playing the little fish catches big fish game

Despite your view of the failings of the Cons, I think that implying that because Justin is somehow more palatable as a prospective leader because he doesn't use attack ads (yet....) would appear to me to be at best a bit simple minded.

We need the best person for the job, even if it's the best of a bad lot. Justin's hair and pot loving approach doesn't make him a good leader, even if he doesn't name call.

And, it appears that based on what's happening at the Libtard convention they are just ramping up their old style rhetoric and illogical emotional "we know better" than you silly middle class western/ non Quebec voters. They are just starting up their "old boys club" again.

Regardless of how much you may dislike Harper, as I've said a number of times, if Justin ever gets in we will all rue the day he was conceived.

A few points here:

- Trudeau is more palatable as a person and politician, precisely because he isn't slinging mud.
- The pushing of the marijuana comment is an artifact of the Conservative attack ads and the media trying to sell ad space, through sensationalism.
- Twelve of the 22 Prime Ministers of this country have been Liberal, and yet we've somehow survived.

He's also been assiduously avoiding having a platform...........

In case you haven't noticed, no election has been announced. That means a platform is unnecessary. He can spitball all that he wants, until an election is called. He'd be far from the first and announcing a platform at this point would just give the Conservatives more time to misrepresent it, as seems to be their wont lately.

I'm up for decriminalization . Legalization country wide is quite the task, and even if this were to happen it would take ages for consumers to finally purchase legalized pot. Decriminalization, although it's a half ass, no full commitment plan, takes us to what Amsterdam has. Cafe where you can buy and smoke. Let's also take into consideration that we in Toronto are somewhat decrimed. Yes there are people in jail, but cops don't really want todo the paper work for someone smoking A joint. They'll tell you to ditch it, maybe real the bin or whatever.

Let's not forget that our fellow neighbours to the south it's not technically federally legalized, only in the state, where federal law trumps state law, and the DEA can bust through your door whenever they feel fit.

As for pricing when/if it does become legal, I've heard it could either go lower or higher depending on the theory. If we take pot as similar price to grain, we could potentially see restaurants giving out free pinners which would be similar pricing to salt and ketchup packets, but customers would take too much time inside, decreasing customer turnover. On the flipside, I can absolutely see the government increasing prices over our regular dime bag rates. But that just causes people to go back to their regular dealer at current prices, which wouldn't really settle the criminal system back logs, and we're back to square one.

My honest opinion, Decriminalization, where businesses are able to sell it, and individuals are able to grow for themselves and obviously consume. Just like wine. Also, in relation to the LCBO comment, we could integrate MJ into the store, LCBO is just a name, which can be changed.

What I find interesting should weed be legalized is the reprocussions of the decision. What about drug testing for jobs, such as the police, RCMP, military, or ttc drivers. Their job is stressing, and being able to "relieve stress" after their shift without fear of losing their job would be great. Just as the majority of people's opinion within this thread, I'm the same, pothead > raging alcoholic.

I see that I'm ranting on with this somewhat but I think it's obvious I do smoke. Weed for me is social, I love meeting people and talking to people about it, whether they are for it or against it. Weed throughout history has been a social ritual, and I hope it stays that way.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How big of a problem is bootlegging considering LCBO prices? Would MJ be different?

How hard would it be to grow enough for one's own use, like wine making?

Last edited:
How big of a problem is bootlegging considering LCBO prices? Would MJ be different?

How hard would it be to grow enough for one's own use, like wine making?

Cigarettes would be a better analogue, given that they would likely be the model for taxation, and look how much illegal trade there is in them.

No real proof that pot smoke is less harmful than tobacco smoke.

Smokers work, so do most alcoholics. Most potheads are either students or unemployed.

Even if it's regulated, the underground world will still make bank. We all know the regulated s*** won't be good as
the underground s***.

Marijuana needs to remain banned. Those who want it will get it anyway, like others said. If we legalize it. Soon enough the entire country will be trampled by potheads. If we don't want other Canadian companies becoming like BB (which is a sickening disgrace) and the government become like Mexico's, we have to wage brutal war against Pot.
Canada needs a serious right wing movement.

Smokers work, so do most alcoholics. Most potheads are either students or unemployed.

Even if it's regulated, the underground world will still make bank. We all know the regulated s*** won't be good as
the underground s***.

Marijuana needs to remain banned. Those who want it will get it anyway, like others said. If we legalize it. Soon enough the entire country will be trampled by potheads. If we don't want other Canadian companies becoming like BB (which is a sickening disgrace) and the government become like Mexico's, we have to wage brutal war against Pot.

Funny post. I love how the very first words are "no real proof" then is followed by that content! Oh the irony! I laughed out loud for real.

the underground s***.

Such a movement would be socially conservative, not politically/fiscally conservative. All that social conservatism has done for the Unites States is to make them the top rated at imprisonment in the developed world, with all of the attendant costs. We don't need to be making their mistakes, when they've proven to be such a wonderful counter example. We need to try our own way.

There are studies that show pot smoke is less harmful or at extreme levels of usage equal. Use google. Lots of studies in recent years.

You would be suprised at how many potheads have great jobs. I work in a profession where a good number of employees smoke pot on their own time regularly. Stop with the blind stereotypes. They have long been disproven.

Pot naysayers are fighting a losing battle.
How someone can be a regular user and still function at a high level is hard to understand. I couldn't do it, believe me I've tried. I guess it shows people are truly wired differently. Or willing to accept a fogged version of themselves. But that can't be it.

There are studies that show pot smoke is less harmful or at extreme levels of usage equal. Use google. Lots of studies in recent years.

You would be suprised at how many potheads have great jobs. I work in a profession where a good number of employees smoke pot on their own time regularly. Stop with the blind stereotypes. They have long been disproven.

One of the problems is that people who make such comments just *know* how bad pot is, without ever reading a single study. In fact they will flatly ignore or actively gainsay any research that is contrary to their personal beliefs, despite not having any real evidence to the contrary that isn't solely provided by their gut. In fact research into the long term effects of THC goes both ways, but tends to lean toward the side of it being relatively benign.

The prejudice against pot goes back more than 100 years and, as I said previously in this thread, it's something worth researching. Hint: You can't grow alcohol in your back garden.

You are inhaling dead plant matter, so i think it isn't any better for your lungs. But I might smoke one joint a night, and my friend will have a cigarette every 2 hours.

Also I'm 29 years old and neither a student or unemployed. I think i do alright for my self with a annual salary of over a hundred thousand.

You would be very surprised on who use the 'drug' frequently. It is taboo, like talking to people about sexual fetishes. People that smoke pot are usually paranoid and avoid talking to strangers about there illegal activity. :D

Back
Top Bottom