Travel Medical Insurance and Paranoia | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Travel Medical Insurance and Paranoia

New US trip planned so with some of the experiences picked up from others I went with CAA.

Bad news is the agent misguided me on how my last medical event was categorized. Fortunately in re-reading the paperwork at home I caught it and should be able to correct it before the trip.

One nice clause I noticed (If I read it right) is that if a policyholder screws up on an application CAA still covers them after the first $5,000.00 and a premium adjustment. While a $5G hit stings it is survivable.

Some friends were heading down south last week for a bike meet and a left turner took out the lead rider. His bike is a write off and he has five broken ribs and a broken wrist. His wife was far enough back to avoid the crash. They has CAA medical and she said CAA were in charge within three hours, taking care of the bills. Since the crash happened in Ohio they have consulted an Ohio lawyer. CAA will likely get their money back.

The Ohio system is far better if you're not the one at fault. The evil doer pays for all damages and none of the extremely limited Ontario benefits. If you use up sick days from work you get them reimbursed etc.

I'm not sure of the details but one has to be sure not to use your insurance medical benefits first as they may be needed for rehab.

The only problem they had with CAA was the initial contact suggested that hubby could return to Canada (5 Hours) riding pillion on his wife's bike. Right, with five broken ribs and a broken wrist. They ended up with a rental car after 2-3 days in a US hospital.

Because this is a US crash the no-fault is a no-no. Ambulance chaser jokes aside this could be interesting.

Back
Top Bottom