Travel Medical Insurance and Paranoia | GTAMotorcycle.com

Travel Medical Insurance and Paranoia

nobbie48

Site Supporter
I am posting this in the touring section because although it is insurance related it is more pertinent to people planning a trip. Mods can move it as they see fit.

Due to a close call while in the USA I began asking some questions and came up with more questions not answers.

I am not an insurance agent / adjuster / underwriter and the following is subject to correction if any knowledgeable party can contribute appropriate information.

If you have a valid OHIP card and never plan on leaving Ontario you can pretty much ignore this post but check your own situation first.

While I refer mostly to travel to the USA it is also important to recognize that although all provinces must have Medicare, not all provincial policies are the same. A medical condition in another province may have serious costs but it is far less likely to cost you your house than a similar situation in the USA if you don’t have travel insurance. E.g. an ambulance ride in Ontario typically results in a patient charge of $45.00. Out of province it can be hundreds or thousands of dollars (Airlift).

The Big Difference in Concept

The most important thing that one must recognize about travel medical insurance is that it is different in concept than vehicle insurance.
When you apply for vehicle insurance they underwrite the policy before giving it to you. Any errors or omissions are dealt with before they hand you the policy and barring lunatic behavior, you know you are covered.

With travel insurance they take you at your word and only check the information if there is a claim. It is common for policies to state that if there is any error it nullifies the entire policy even if the claim is for an unrelated issue. It doesn’t matter if the error is a lie, misunderstanding or forgetfulness. If you fail to mention the sprained wrist you may not be covered for the $100,000.00+ appendectomy.

Read the Fine Print

If you are not a senior citizen a questionnaire is probably not required but coverage is not guaranteed due to exclusions.
A common one is “Travelling against the advice of a physician” or a somewhat related “Traveling when medical evidence says travel is ill advised”.
These exclusions exist in company travel insurance perks as well so read the policy.

The Questionnaire

If you have to fill out a questionnaire it is important to recognize that the person handling your questionnaire is not your family doctor and that the questions require yes / no answers.
E.g. “Have you in the qualifying period sought the services of a physician regarding a muscular skeletal issue?”
If you ask for a clarification they repeat the question. They do not negotiate an answer. If you answer “Yes” because of a sprained wrist you could be assigned the same risk factor as a person with osteoporosis. If you answer “No” you misinformed them.

If you have to fill out a questionnaire be aware that the insurers vary by great extremes. One I checked with went back 24 months for pre-existing conditions with no exceptions.

Another went back 12 months and had a “Minor ailment exception”. A minor ailment was one that didn’t require more than one follow-up visit to a doctor and no prescription lasting more than 15 days. The sprained wrist wouldn’t have come up on the radar. The policy premium was a fifth of the first example.

A third only did short term trip coverage and only asked a few questions. The premium wasn’t a game changer.

Coverage Chain of Command

OHIP is the first to pick up part of the tab but the coverage is pathetic. While a typical USA hospital cost is $10K to $15K per day OHIP only covers $200 for a ward and $400 for ICU.

Then your vehicle insurance medical benefits come into play if the treatment is due to a vehicle incident. You are covered if you are the driver, passenger or you are a pedestrian that is hit by a motor vehicle.

My agent informed me that my $829.00 a year medical premium only got me $50,000.00 in benefits. That’s $45K USD which may or may not pay for a broken arm. That is to be reviewed at renewal as it doesn’t show anywhere on the policy.

Your vehicle insurance doesn’t cover appendicitis, heart attack, kidney stones, falling down drunk walking back to the motel etc.

If you are planning one of those lifetime travel sabbaticals make sure your out of country limits are up to date.

Last in line is the travel insurance policy that picks up whatever falls between the cracks.

A few months ago CBC’s Marketplace did a number on the insurance industry regarding people that got hit with refused claims from travel insurance companies. In typical journalistic fashion they used vague numbers with little factual information.

I spoke with a representative of a travel insurance association and he admitted that there are no hard and cold statistics readily available. When I asked about numbers he quoted in a magazine article he said they just had to estimate.

Risk / Reward

This is a calculation only the individual can answer.

If there is a one in a thousand chance of needing medical care in the USA and one claim in a thousand is denied it works out to be a one in a million risk. Is it possible that you are of greater risk of a life changing event at home from texting drivers?

Last edited:
This is true. I once took a one day run in my cage to the US. I ended up having a diabetic seizure. An ambulance was called and drove me 3 MILES to the hospital. I was treated with fluids and sent on my way. Weeks later I get the ambulance bill just under $1,000 USD. The hospital stay was just over $3,000. I gave them my OHIP number. OHIP paid $45 for ambulance and $600 to the hospital.

In the end I settled the ambulance for $250, the hospital settled for $900. So get the travel insurance, and be up front about everything.

This is true. I once took a one day run in my cage to the US. I ended up having a diabetic seizure. An ambulance was called and drove me 3 MILES to the hospital. I was treated with fluids and sent on my way. Weeks later I get the ambulance bill just under $1,000 USD. The hospital stay was just over $3,000. I gave them my OHIP number. OHIP paid $45 for ambulance and $600 to the hospital.

In the end I settled the ambulance for $250, the hospital settled for $900. So get the travel insurance, and be up front about everything.

A good point if you get nailed. Payments are often negotiable.

Travel insurance is very complicated. I purchased Blu Cross on my last trip to Veags. While I was down there I got sick and went to a walk in clinic for a checkup and the prescribed antibiotics. I think the visit cost me around $800 at the time. I paid with my visa and submitted my claim to Blu Cross they convered only $25 , Ohip the same. Luckly I have medical benifits through my employer which covered it all. All I know is that those cheap policys you get through a travel agent are worthless e.g Blu Cross...

Travel insurance is very complicated. I purchased Blu Cross on my last trip to Veags. While I was down there I got sick and went to a walk in clinic for a checkup and the prescribed antibiotics. I think the visit cost me around $800 at the time. I paid with my visa and submitted my claim to Blu Cross they convered only $25 , Ohip the same. Luckly I have medical benifits through my employer which covered it all. All I know is that those cheap policys you get through a travel agent are worthless e.g Blu Cross...

Blue Cross was my third example and the system sounded too easy, making me suspicious. The hard part is getting accurate stats on what tends to get claims denied and which insurers are disporportionately denying claims.

In your case you had two insurers and both could have claimed that they were to be the last resort.

If we could only get the government involved without them making things worse.

It should not be complicated at all for motorcycle riders.

a) for under 65 most major credit cards cover you 4 days out of country.
over 65 is 2 days.

Then you buy a period coverage or annual coverage which covers multiple trips up to 30 days each

2014 travel health insurance
rbc 1-800-565-3129 1800-565-3129 ext 45543
$190 - annual multitrip
$239 - 60 day top up

Then if you stay longer as I do - you buy top ups.

So I get an annual plan and two 30 day top ups for $429

If you have returned home from your trip as a result of an emergency medical condition, you will need to submit an Emergency Medical Insurance claim.

Select your province of residence from the list below for instructions on how to submit your claim:

Ontario

You will need to complete the following steps to submit your claim:

Complete and sign the Claim and Authorization Form pdf.

Mail the form, along with all applicable documents outlined below, to the claims office:

RBC Insurance Company of Canada
P.O. Box 97, Station A
Mississauga, Ontario L5A 2Y9

Attach all original itemized bills and receipts (opens new window) to support your claim.

Attach any medical records (opens new window) you may have been given at the time of treatment. For hospitalization claims, we require a complete copy of your medical records from the treating facility.

For Multi-Trip Annual plans, attach proof of both departure from and return to your province of residence. The type of proof (opens new window) depends on whether you travelled via airline or car.

For hospitalization claims, we will require a complete copy of your medical records from the treating facility.

Pretty straight forward - up to $5 million.

DO NOT motorcycle in the US without coverage if you value your financial future...it's a horror show.

It should not be complicated at all for motorcycle riders.

a) for under 65 most major credit cards cover you 4 days out of country.
over 65 is 2 days.

Then you buy a period coverage or annual coverage which covers multiple trips up to 30 days each

2014 travel health insurance
rbc 1-800-565-3129 1800-565-3129 ext 45543
$190 - annual multitrip
$239 - 60 day top up

Then if you stay longer as I do - you buy top ups.

So I get an annual plan and two 30 day top ups for $429

Pretty straight forward - up to $5 million.

DO NOT motorcycle in the US without coverage if you value your financial future...it's a horror show.

It shouldn't be complicated but as 250R-ICE found out, coverage can be denied.

Fortunately for him he had other coverages and the amount wasn't massive.

Possibly the walk-in clinic he used didn't qualify as a health care facility. However if he had gone to a proper hospital it's unlikely he would of gotten off so lightly with the initial bill. A US buddy went to ER for a cut thumb (No stitches) and walked away with a bill for $2,000.00.

Hospitals are liability conscious. They will run every test known to man so they can't be sued for overlooking something. The patient pays for the tests.

Many policies make you pay up front with your credit card and then take months to reimburse you. CAA travel insurance does not. THEY pay the costs for you as they are incurred, and coverage is comparable to the others. Shop around but compare all the features. I totally agree with others, don't travel in the US without some form of insurance.

Many policies make you pay up front with your credit card and then take months to reimburse you. CAA travel insurance does not. THEY pay the costs for you as they are incurred, and coverage is comparable to the others. Shop around but compare all the features. I totally agree with others, don't travel in the US without some form of insurance.

+1
I get CAA every time I go over for 2 days or more. Have an annual plan now since I go so much.

+1
I get CAA every time I go over for 2 days or more. Have an annual plan now since I go so much.

+1

Its very cheap insurance. Never had to use it, but if there ever comes a time when you do need hospitalization it easily pays for itself over and over and over again.

I always go with CAA. Broke my arm a year and a half ago in Virginia. They covered everything, ambulance ride, emergency surgery to screw a few plates into my arm, UHaul to get the bike back, gas for the UHaul. Wasn't too much though, total claim was around $6-7k I think.

When i used to travel to the states for work i had insurance with 3 different companies. One through GMS Group Medical Services out of saskatchewan which was my primary coverage, another one through my work and my backup was through my capital one credit card.

Never had a problem through GMS, even when i needed to see a doctor and get medication in california and another time in saskatchewan.
My wife also used GMS when travelling to the states and when she needed to make a claim it was straight forward and was reimbursed for everything.

I wont even go to buffalo for an hour to pick something up without insurance, now thats paranoia! ;)

When i used to travel to the states for work i had insurance with 3 different companies. One through GMS Group Medical Services out of saskatchewan which was my primary coverage, another one through my work and my backup was through my capital one credit card.

Never had a problem through GMS, even when i needed to see a doctor and get medication in california and another time in saskatchewan.
My wife also used GMS when travelling to the states and when she needed to make a claim it was straight forward and was reimbursed for everything.

I wont even go to buffalo for an hour to pick something up without insurance, now thats paranoia! ;)

Years ago a woman made a day trip to Buffalo and had a stroke there. The hospital tried to revive her but were unsuccessful. I think the bill was over 100K and it came out of her estate. Kiddies fought it but lost. Prudent not paranoid.

Here's paranoia. I wonder about company travel benefits. Some of those policies cost about $1500 per year per employee. If the company has 100 employees that's $150,000.00 in premiums. The insurer wouldn't want to lose that account if reasonably possible.

However if an individual bought the same policy the insurer would only be losing a $1500 a year account so would they be more tight fisted with a payout?

We always use Amex travel insurance. Relatively inexpensive, it is like $50 or so for 5 of us for 2 weeks. 2 years ago my daughter managed to partially tear off her toe nail in Virginia Beach with a door. Went to the closest hospital, phoned insurance company, they took car of everything. Didn't pay a penny on site, never saw a bill or anything form the hospital. I estimate that ER trip around $1000-$1500. We never enter the States without valid policy for the whole duration of the stay. Ever.

My employer provides me with travel coverage, as does Visa but I also purchase CAA insurance. Whenever I cross the border, I make sure I have all the policies together, in a freezer bag, in the top clear cover of my tank bag, or some other easily accessible location of not on my bike.

My employer provides me with travel coverage, as does Visa but I also purchase CAA insurance. Whenever I cross the border, I make sure I have all the policies together, in a freezer bag, in the top clear cover of my tank bag, or some other easily accessible location of not on my bike.

Just make sure there isn't a clause in all of the policies with each insurer saying they pay last.

More and more I'm liking insurers that pay the bill instead of ones that reimburse. It's far easier to hold onto money then get it back.

How much is considered sufficient coverage?

I am covered through work with Great West Life up to $100000 for out of country emergency services for trips up to 41 days long, and I would consider that suitable for day trips or overnighters to Buffalo, but for longer trips further from the border and on the bike I am not sure if $100k is sufficient.

Last year I just picked up one of those travel insurance cards you can buy at Loblaws or Superstore, but I never really looked into the details of how much or what I was covered for.

This year I am considering going with a CAA multi-trip or similar.

How much is considered sufficient coverage?

I am covered through work with Great West Life up to $100000 for out of country emergency services for trips up to 41 days long, and I would consider that suitable for day trips or overnighters to Buffalo, but for longer trips further from the border and on the bike I am not sure if $100k is sufficient.

Last year I just picked up one of those travel insurance cards you can buy at Loblaws or Superstore, but I never really looked into the details of how much or what I was covered for.

This year I am considering going with a CAA multi-trip or similar.

I do not consider $100,000 enough.

A heart attack, or broken arm + wrist could exceed $100,000 easily in the U.S..

Your employer does not value you much. LOL

Back
Top Bottom