GTAM Approved Mechanics? | Page 4 | GTAMotorcycle.com

GTAM Approved Mechanics?

Should be "If you need a licensed facility..." You only need a license facility for a safety. Licensed mechanics can work wherever they choose. A mobile (or several) mobile shops in the GTA would be a great idea. Is it doable? ...that's another thread.

Not sure where the licensed facility rumor came from. The trucking industry has all kinds of mobile mechs like First Call, RoadService, etc. so there is no validity to that assertion. A motorcycle mechanic could get a truck just like truck mechanics do and work out of it no problem. Also, I have to laugh at some of the guys here saying things like "He does it for his love of motorcycles". These guys have to earn a living and they will charge you accordingly. I would rather pay the money and get the job done right.

I suggest you go to a mechanic who specializes in your motorcycle brand. Don't go to someone who does everything. Being familiar with the brand is very important. I do all my own work on all my machines. I never use a mechanic for anything but certifications only because I can't legally do them. If you can't do it yourself, find a mechanic who does good work and pay him what he wants. If you try to go cheap you will be sorry.

A mobile service would go broke in a month. You would have to charge a minimum call of $200 or more per call to cover travel time fuel costs and up keep. People would ***** like crazy when you were only there for 30 minutes and they got a $ 300 bill.

sent from a device using a program

What do you need mobile work for?

The at home mechanic has the worries of neighbours calling by-law for the constant sound of air tools, oil leaks, parked cars and operating a business without a permit (even at home day-care's need a permit). Mobile thus makes sense. Issue would be where you park your mobile in the city? Also, who would insure it? All kinds of liability there. As I wrote, it's a thread on its own whether it's doable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
A mobile service would go broke in a month. You would have to charge a minimum call of $200 or more per call to cover travel time fuel costs and up keep. People would ***** like crazy when you were only there for 30 minutes and they got a $ 300 bill.

You think so? I would think the service would be similar to mobile oil or tire trucks. They don't have a $300 minimum. And I've seen more than one shop close down because of overhead. I would think that a sole proprietorship would actually have a better chance of being profitable in the mobile industry.
I don't have any stats to back me up, just my view.
I would use the service. Especially in the case of a flat tire, for example.

Look at it like this you have to drive to every call so 30 minutes to an hour between calls that needs paid for, plus gas plus a truck. At a shop jobs can be lined up and done with other the wait in between. Next issue is parts who pays for you to drive and get the parts because there is no way to carry everything. Even an oil change or chain adjustment is going to take a couple of hours of your time with all the driving. Think anyone will pay 2-3 hundred for a chain adjustment?

I see your point, but how are the mobile tire guys doing it? I just figured one guy, one truck, it might be a possibility. But I would have to sit down and look at the numbers. And it would have to be routine service type of stuff.
Ah, it can be someone else's headache.
Sent from my Nokia Lumia 625 Windows Phone using Tapatalk

Not sure where the licensed facility rumor came from. .........

What they mean, is you cannot do a Safety Certificate because you are not a licensed shop, mobile shops cannot get licensed to do a Safety Certificate, you can probably do all other work, but you are not able to write up a Safety Certificate.

Look at it like this you have to drive to every call so 30 minutes to an hour between calls that needs paid for, plus gas plus a truck. At a shop jobs can be lined up and done with other the wait in between. Next issue is parts who pays for you to drive and get the parts because there is no way to carry everything. Even an oil change or chain adjustment is going to take a couple of hours of your time with all the driving. Think anyone will pay 2-3 hundred for a chain adjustment?

Look at it this way. Dealership = $100 / hour, mechanic gets $25 of that. Mobile, $40, $50 / hour, mechanic keeps all. You could make a deal with local jobbers to deliver parts to where you are. You could work as little or as much as you want being your own boss. Added cost is fuel, true, but some may be willing to make that sacrifice to not be a slave Work is the blackmail of survival. May as we'll make it as fun as possible. Some find working on motorcycles fun!

Last edited:
OK if you want to work for basically free, and I am not aware of the motorcycle jobbers that would deliver parts for free. And don't forget wsib, errors and omissions insurance etc.

"I've had good results with Ken (kneedragger88), so much so that he's had repeat business from me and I've referred people to him for storage and repairs."

Same for me. Kneedragger picks up and drops off. Charges reasonable prices

Back
Top Bottom