GTAM Approved Mechanics? | GTAMotorcycle.com

GTAM Approved Mechanics?

argos

Spring is just around the corner. I'm looking to get my Yamaha Vstar serviced for the Season before it hits the road in Spring. Are there any list of GTAM approved/recommended mechanics to help us avoid any headaches with incompetent/dishonest mechanics?

Perhaps list the mechanics servicing different region? I'm looking for mechanics specifically around the Newmarket area. But any is welcome if you feel your mechanic is honest and trustworthy, then I think it'll be worth the ride to go have service done regardless of the distance.

Services done by mechanics at dealership is often quite inconsistent because of high-turnover and, as consumers, we don't really get to know who is working on our bike and what their qualifications are. I'm always concerned when I see mechanics horsing around in the shop, makes me worried that my bike is being neglected and not inspected thoroughly.

Take the reviews with a grain of salt--especially the overly positive ones.

From now on, I'm only taking my bike to get serviced at the dealer, and avoiding the independents. Sure, I pay more at the dealer, but I've always received consistent and fast service (I know, the same is not true for all dealers). I can't say the same thing for the independents, which are all over the place. And, I suspect most of the glowing reviews on this site are either written by the mechanic themselves or friends of the mechanic. Either way, I don't rely too heavily on reviews anymore.

Rose on my toes

you-can-t-be-serious-joker.jpg

are you serious? GTAM is a forum, not an organization. Though you raised a pleausible proposal to make GTAM to be a motorcycle club, hence collaborating with shops and mechanics who are reputable and we can get discount from, this would effectively increase overall GTAM's fame. I would personally do it if I am the owner of GTAM, we've got lots of members already and is a great chance.

Gone a bit off topic, but another thing is we can even make a sports bike club, cruiser club that sort of thing. We can make badges to put on our bike to show off we are in the club. Businesses LOVE to work with clubs because it increases their revenue and they get more attentions.

are you serious? GTAM is a forum, not an organization. Though you raised a pleausible proposal to make GTAM to be a motorcycle club, hence collaborating with shops and mechanics who are reputable and we can get discount from, this would effectively increase overall GTAM's fame. I would personally do it if I am the owner of GTAM, we've got lots of members already and is a great chance.

Gone a bit off topic, but another thing is we can even make a sports bike club, cruiser club that sort of thing. We can make badges to put on our bike to show off we are in the club. Businesses LOVE to work with clubs because it increases their revenue and they get more attentions.

2412591-7405058733-ROFL_.jpg

i'm already in a gang, it;s called a gang of 1:headbang:

From now on, I'm only taking my bike to get serviced at the dealer, and avoiding the independents. Sure, I pay more at the dealer, but I've always received consistent and fast service (I know, the same is not true for all dealers). I can't say the same thing for the independents, which are all over the place. And, I suspect most of the glowing reviews on this site are either written by the mechanic themselves or friends of the mechanic. Either way, I don't rely too heavily on reviews anymore.
So you are saying that taking your bike to kahuna is better than taking your bike to Z1 or Pro6 or Competition Cycle?

Have you taken your bike to any of those? and what makes you believe that kahuna or Snowcity are better shops than those 3 or even other independents?

Are you also saying that taking your bike for suspension work to a dealer is better than taking it to an independent shop like John Sherrard?

People should really think before they speak, or at least when they bash independent shops they need to be specific of why and what experiences they had, unless you are just talking out of your ***

Last edited:
So you are saying that taking your bike to kahuna is better than taking your bike to Z1 or Pro6 or Competition Cycle?

Have you taken your bike to any of those? and what makes you believe that kahuna or Snowcity are better shops than those 3 or even other independents?

Are you also saying that taking your bike for suspension work to a dealer is better than taking it to an independent shop like John Sherrard?

People should really think before they speak, or at least when they bash independent shops they need to be specific of why and what experiences they had, unless they are just talking out of their ***** like most people in this forum.

Big +1

Seriously Princess Man, perhaps you like to service your bikes at the STEALERship.. but the mechanics there don't give a hoot about you personally as their "business" is not based on having you as a life long customer...

I always recommend my mechanic, Adrian @ Ace Moto tech. There is no shortage of people to speak for his abilities and passion for motorcycles.

http://www.gtamotorcycle.com/vbforu...ot-Ace-Moto-Tech-quot-Customer-Recommendation

Although there are shills, majority of the reviews on here are honest.

A little common sense will allow you to distinguish the fairy tale ones from reality.

Also there are plenty of good independent mechanics out there, but there is also no shortage of hacks, just like in every field out there.

Try Chris's Motorcycle Servise in Aurora. I have been going to him for a couple of years and I have never been disappointed. Great service, fantastic rates won't screw you around. He is a little independent garage that does it for the love of motorcycles and not profits.

http://www.chrissmotorcycleservice.com/about.htm

Dave at Competition Cycle. He's an hour's ride for me and I do it every time

Lol grow up. There are plenty of negative reviews in the review section. PLENTY. (Check the Archive as well). The day some of these guys have enough free time to bother themselves by posting fake positive reviews we're in real trouble

Last edited:
I have only ever used two shops. HB Cycle just outside Lindsay. Not sure I would recommend them though unless your prepared to go over the bike with a fine toothed comb, (they tend to forget to reinstall some screws etc. Although close to Asseltine's, never used them. But Mike at Clarington Cycle gets a huge thums up he did a LOT of work on the Gf's 92 Katana last summer top notch work and VERY reasonable priced. He was surprised that the bike was able to pass a safety, in it's current condition. He fixed up ALL safety isses and the bike runs better then it has since she owned it, (2 years now).

I never use a mechanic for car or bike, if I don't personally see and speak to the guy with grease under his nails, who will be doing the work. I don't care to talk to a service writer at a desk who has never turned a wrench. I can't recall the last time, if ever, that I hadn't already diagnosed the problem I needed fixed anyways.
The only time I ever did go to a dealer was at Hully Gully in LOndon back in 1998.... for a brand new bike I was conned into bringing in for it's 1st service, otherwise I would forfeit my warranty, or so I was told. I got the bike back with a tire and melted rubber bits on my swingarm and shock that showered evidence of mechanics doing burnouts on my 2 week old bike. I kicked and screamed, and demanded a new tire etc. AT fiurst they tried to convince me that the tire may have spun as they used the engine's power to roll the bike up onto the lift.....I told them I had been riding a long time andknew what a burnout looked like. Then they said "it's a CBR, it's not like you aren't gonna do burnouts on it anyways"...I explained to them that I would like the priveledge of wrecking my own bike thanks, and that I didn't pay them to do it for me......the bike was new and I expected a new tire immediately!.........then after much prodding, I discovered that a mechanic wasn't even the one performing the service on my bike, but a 16 yr old co-op high school student who wasn't even being paid, but was free labour to them in exchange for school credit. I was livid, and even though that was the 4th bike I had bought at Hully Gully, I never set foot in there again.

There are tons of guys that do good work. It really doesnt matter where you go in a large shop just because you got good or bad one time or another, staff changes regularly. Good example is Craig Atkinson a very competent guy was at Kahuna and as of a few days ago is at Snow City. Eric at Speedworx is ex- top dog at Honda Canada (not a dealer but the mothership). Many people have already commented on Mike at Clarington, great guy for certain and the actual wrench is Andrew Colby a good tech that actually cares about his work. Dave at Competition Cycle lives and breaths motorcycles. Some people even say I am handy. Point is do your homework and you will be fine many shops specialize and are known for certain stuff. Donald at Platinum does mostly cruisers. Pro6 and Z1 mostly sportbikes. Ted Rose is mostly older stuff many of the country shops are mostly dirt ATV. Sorry I cant comment too much on Newmarket but you arent too far away from the center of the universe hahaha

I go to myself. I've never been disappointed, don't have to setup an appointment & save a ton. So much so that I can afford riding, that brings a smile to my face.

I really don't have to be dealing with people if I don't have to

Back
Top Bottom