The Cost of speeding in Canada | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Cost of speeding in Canada

N3WMAN

http://canadamotoguide.com/2013/02/12/the-cost-of-speeding/

Most information is not readily available through the internet as canadamotoguide found out.

Big-50.jpg

Last edited:
Good post thanks for sharing.

27 over seems to be the sweet spot.

Let's be real though, the cost of speeding is HUNDREDS more than the ticket. My insurance increase from one 10 over ticket will amount to over $600 over 3 years. I would gladly pay $30/km over if it meant it didn't affect insurance.

Let's be real though, the cost of speeding is HUNDREDS more than the ticket. My insurance increase from one 10 over ticket will amount to over $600 over 3 years. I would gladly pay $30/km over if it meant it didn't affect insurance.

I think that's the general consensus of anyone that does any amount of driving throughout the year. I know amongst my group of friends that it's not the cost of the ticket they're worried about, it's the insurance. They'd gladly pay extra to drive a little faster if it didn't hit them in the pocket book monthly for 3,5 or 10 years.

Great read. Thank you for sharing.

:D

For myself and many others, the cost is more of nuisance factor going around pulled over vehicles and accidents. I'm not saying that I don't speed, but that I'm not standing out from the crowd.
If your paying a significant cost in fines or time fighting charges, then you need to look at your approach to driving.

Driving, like motorcycling, isn't for everyone.

This. I've only had one moving violation in the last 17 years. Before that, I had a few moving violations & an at fault accident that nearly tripled my yearly premium. It was a very distasteful 6 years getting my premium back down.

Last edited:
This. I've only had one moving violation in the last 17 years. Before that, I had a few moving violations & an at fault accident that nearly tripled my yearly premium. It was a very distasteful 6 years getting my premium back down.

Not for anything but I've notice the average speed on HWY 401 is 120-130km/h... All the time. QEW is pretty much the same...

DVP average is 110-120km/h which max speed is up to 90km/h... I think they should change the speed limits because 9 out of 10 are above the max speed.

Not for anything but I've notice the average speed on HWY 401 is 120-130km/h... All the time. QEW is pretty much the same...

DVP average is 110-120km/h which max speed is up to 90km/h... I think they should change the speed limits because 9 out of 10 are above the max speed.

yes. true. average speeds in passing lanes are 20-30kmh over the limits.

BUT< hey who cares about logic, progress and safety? it's all about generating revenue and handing out speeding tickets for the sake of "safety".

Increasing the speed limit would mean less $$ from tickets, and HTA 172 would then apply at 170-180+kmh.

The argument for increased limits is always around.
We got gypped many many years ago with the conversions to metric then the oil crisis of the 70's. Most US states are back up to 75-80mph when you're away from too much urban sprawl.
500px-US_speed_limits13.svg.png

It's a bit of a catch though. Would you want the speed limit to be raised to 120 km/h but then they pull you over at 125?
Or keep it as is and everyone just 'goes with the flow' ?

and what applies now, would apply then. 15kmh margin. so you'd get pulled over at 140-150. and HTA 172 would only apply at speeds above 170.

Not sure why everyone thinks that 172 would kick in at 170. The gov't could just simply rewrite that section and have it state that the threshold would remain at 150. Laws are easily reworked...lol

and what applies now, would apply then. 15kmh margin. so you'd get pulled over at 140-150. and HTA 172 would only apply at speeds above 170.

Not sure why everyone thinks that 172 would kick in at 170. The gov't could just simply rewrite that section and have it state that the threshold would remain at 150. Laws are easily reworked...lol

172 SHOULD kick in at 170 though, 150 isn't all that fast, and is perfectly common in states with higher speed limits like Texas (notice that 85mph speed limit section, I'll bet there's plenty of people going just over 90 there). Our roads are designed to handle these speeds. That said, the idea of speed limits is to keep it to a level everyone can be safe at, and in today's vehicles, that would be about 120km/h.

All that said, there are plenty of places where the limit is correct. A good number of places on the Gardiner I wouldn't want to drive or ride much above 90km/h anyway, and many residential areas are perfect; my street is a 40, and I'd be hard pressed to get there without slamming on the brakes before the next curve, it could seriously be a 30.

If reworded, with limits increased to say 120, then ppl would be facing $10 000 fine, 30 license suspension and 7 day vehicle impound for "passing" or basically doing 20 over the limit lol. not very logical. so it's safe to say that HTA 172 would apply as is. and if ever goes to be reworded to still apply at 50 over, it will most likely just disappear as it is an unconstitutional law; citizens are guilty until proven innocent. Hey if the day every comes when our speed limits go up, then i hope they choose to keep the 150 benchmark, cuz then we will get rid of this unreasonable and unjust law as people will just not accept it.

172 SHOULD kick in at 170 though, 150 isn't all that fast, and is perfectly common in states with higher speed limits like Texas (notice that 85mph speed limit section, I'll bet there's plenty of people going just over 90 there). Our roads are designed to handle these speeds. That said, the idea of speed limits is to keep it to a level everyone can be safe at, and in today's vehicles, that would be about 120km/h.

All that said, there are plenty of places where the limit is correct. A good number of places on the Gardiner I wouldn't want to drive or ride much above 90km/h anyway, and many residential areas are perfect; my street is a 40, and I'd be hard pressed to get there without slamming on the brakes before the next curve, it could seriously be a 30.

+1

Last edited:
The speed across most of Canada is too low. Driving the 80mph zones in Utah is great..... 130kph and you are pretty much legal. Having said that, Utah is like the Ohio of the west. There are cops all over, especially on I-15, but when you can cruise at 130kph and not worry about it.... it's all good. 5mph over though and you might get busted.

When I was young I used to speed all the time. I'm glad that I am not young today or I would have had my vehicle s impounded many times. Unlike many other people I have learned that you can't speed all of the time. Mys philosophy is that I have to be able to see double my stopping distance to the front and sides to deal with any potential problem. This philosophy has served me well; I slow for curves, hills, bridges or any other situation that blocks my view. Not only has this prevented me from having collisions, but also has served me well in preventing speeding tickets as these situations are typically where police hide.

Unfortunately, if the speed limits are increased the majority of people would still speed and that would not be a good idea. Imagine the fools that you see on the freeways travelling at 120 km/hr today travelling at 140 km/hr?

^^^ I don't know where you drive but I cruise across the 400 series all the time at 130 getting passed constantly. Idiots will be idiots no matter what a sign says.

Back
Top Bottom