Alternative way to strip paint | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Alternative way to strip paint

Here's the stuff I got from napa, it was either $32 or $38.... some primer I got at the same time was the other price. :D

Just did my top case today. Check out the stripper I used. Got it from a Benjamin Moore dealer - over 5 or 6 years ago. Worked a treat. No harm to the aluminum.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1392349505.555469.jpg

Unless it says safe for aluminum on the can I would be weary about using it on engine parts made of it!

You guys worry too much. You're worse than my mother. Lol

Unless it says safe for aluminum on the can I would be weary about using it on engine parts made of it!

Never had a problem, it's magnesium that you have to worry about. It causes a crazy reaction and will eat the mag itself

Well I bought some paint stripper in a spray can from Canadian Tire that specifically said "Not safe for use on Aluminum" - not sure why they would specify that as I'm not a chemist but I didn't want to find out.

Well I bought some paint stripper in a spray can from Canadian Tire that specifically said "Not safe for use on Aluminum" - not sure why they would specify that as I'm not a chemist but I didn't want to find out.

Go on... you know you want to try it.

Probably pitting reactions which isn't good for surfaces that require to be smooth. Acidic and so forth causing little pinholes all over. I'm thinking of cookware pans that have been cooked in for decades and run through dishwashers.

Here's the stuff I got from napa, it was either $32 or $38.... some primer I got at the same time was the other price. :D

The NAPA location in my area does not carry that, actually they didn't have any paint stripper, I even asked the rude aZZ hat behind the counter, his answer was "nope" and then started yapping on the phone, so I told him his is a rude prick and I walked out,,,,,I had another question and wanted some other items, guess they don't care, so they lost a sale...

no biggie...

GK - check your local Benjamin Moore dealer for CIRCA 1850 paint stripper. I used this on the top half of my engine case and removed paint without any issues to the Aluminum.
tuza5uda.jpg

GK - check your local Benjamin Moore dealer for CIRCA 1850 paint stripper. I used this on the top half of my engine case and removed paint without any issues to the Aluminum.
tuza5uda.jpg

Ive used that one before, it is available at regular hardware stores like Canadian Tire and Home Depot....It does not work on everything however, and being a regular paint and varnish stripper and not an aircraft stripper, even if it does work it takes longer and more elbow grease....

I really suggest a true aircraft stripper, it will eat everything and it will do it fast and easy

When I used aircraft stripper on my powder coating hanger hooks, I literally just pull them out of the stripper and the powder coat layers that were built up on it just slide off...I dont have to scrub or anything it just falls right off after 5-10 minutes of stripper

Last edited:
Ive used that one before, it is available at regular hardware stores like Canadian Tire and Home Depot....It does not work on everything however, and being a regular paint and varnish stripper and not an aircraft stripper, even if it does work it takes longer and more elbow grease....

I really suggest a true aircraft stripper, it will eat everything and it will do it fast and easy

When I used aircraft stripper on my powder coating hanger hooks, I literally just pull them out of the stripper and the powder coat layers that were built up on it just slide off...I dont have to scrub or anything it just falls right off after 5-10 minutes of stripper

I agree that it does take some elbow grease. I would have boiled my top case in antifreeze, but I didn't have a big enough pot.

The Circa stripper was what I had on hand - it worked, didn't hurt the aluminum. Sure, the aircraft stripper sounds like its a better product.

If my local NAPA guy was a dickhead, I'd use the Antifreeze first then the Circa. Wouldn't step foot in that store. Maybe buy it from another NAPA store if you really want the aircraft stripper.

The NAPA location in my area does not carry that, actually they didn't have any paint stripper, I even asked the rude aZZ hat behind the counter, his answer was "nope" and then started yapping on the phone, so I told him his is a rude prick and I walked out,,,,,I had another question and wanted some other items, guess they don't care, so they lost a sale...

no biggie...

They're pretty friendly out here...although the napa garage tried screwing me around pretty good, but made it right after I talked to head office.

what doesnt just "fall" right off after 10 min inside a stripper ........

hah!

Last edited:
tuza5uda.jpg

I was in Walmart the other day and saw it on the shelf, it was 10 bucks, I figured for the money I can't lose, and since I can't get the aircraft stripper anywhere close by or cheap, I might as well try it....

Well what do you know, this stuff works, and works very well, at least for my rims, it got the crap off, and no elbow grease, well a little bit, but I brushed it on,let it sit, brushed it off, let it dry and hit the rims with a wire wheel on a cordless drill and about say a half hour total work time, I ended up with rims looking like this....

P1120386.jpg

P1120387.jpg

P1120392.jpg

now it's time to paint.....

Cheers

Mmmm - 1/6 the price, a little elbow grease, readily available - sounds like a winner to me.

Back
Top Bottom