Alternative way to strip paint | GTAMotorcycle.com

Alternative way to strip paint

rzresurection

I found an alternative to remove paint from cases and cylinders - boil them in rad fluid.

You'll need a hot plate, large pot and a small brass brush.

If you can find a big enough pot, you'll have to do little brushing.

Do in a well ventilated area as the fumes are poisonous. More of a summer time activity. Tends to steam up the garage in the winter.

Good ol toxic fumes! lol Looks like it worked out nicely.

Bad idea! Glycol is very flammable great way to burn your garage down.

Actually glycol is not flammable thats why it is used as an hydraulic oil replacement for foundry and other high heat applications.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Consider using electrolysis if you have the time. It won't create clouds of steam and the metal surfaces will be so virgin that you'll have to give them a quick oil wipe or something before flash rust begins. I'm going to be setting up one of these this year I think. I have some old cast iron pans that are not in good shape coating wise. I'm thinking on rendering them back to the virgin metal and then re-blackening them. As this is for food to eat with, it is important to do it in a non-toxic manner. It would work for engine parts. If it does work well I'll let you all know what to do.

Yes it flamable i damn near blew up my woodstove with glycol soaked rags. But do what you like.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Glycol is flammable, but not very.

I've done the electrolysis on my steel gas tank. Worked well. I then immediately used POR15 to coat the tank.

I don't see me using it on aluminum cases to remove paint. The cases aren't corroded or oxidized, they're just cover in paint that I want removed.

Boiling the side case in rad fluid was quick and effective.

I might consider using electrolysis on the upper and lower casings since i don't have a pot large enough to boil them in.

Aircraft stripper is the best and easiest way...

I disagree. If you have a part that you can completely immerse in the fluid, then it's 'set it and forget it'. I did my cylinders last summer and no scrubbing was needed. They came out perfectly stripped after 45 mins in the bath.

Last edited:
I was wrong about the flammability as well but it need to be very hot.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Where to find this stuff....I can only find the cheap\crappy stuff at Canadian Tire, HomeDepot etc....where do you get the good stuff...?

Aklands grainger in mississauga formerly Cisco
Sells a 4L can for about $60 of the gel type. It will remove anything! Even powder coat

The stuff at ct or Home Depot is crap, it won't touch good OEM paints and powder coat

Where to find this stuff....I can only find the cheap\crappy stuff at Canadian Tire, HomeDepot etc....where do you get the good stuff...?

I got mine at Dura Chemicals, Stoney Creek. Any auto paint supplier should have it. Stuff works as advertised.

perfect....that's just around the corner

Thanks

Napa was $32 for a 4l can of the gel type aircraft paint stripper... why would you go somewhere else and spend $60 for the same thing?

Napa was $32 for a 4l can of the gel type aircraft paint stripper... why would you go somewhere else and spend $60 for the same thing?

OK, Napa works just as good, even better, cause if it don't work out, it's only 30 some odd dollars lost....I want to strip the rims, and see about painting them myself, if that don't work out, it's off to your buddy to get them powder coated....

Initially you never posted the price you paid, so how was he or anyone else supposed to know Napa has a better price.......The cheaper the better just dont understand how we were supposed to assume that Napa was cheaper

Back
Top Bottom