Off leash dog complaints | GTAMotorcycle.com

Off leash dog complaints

ajaxguy

So I live in Ajax...

Last edited:
and he has bothered no one

Apparently he's bothered at least someone. ;)

Can't help you - my dog's a stray from a rescue with an insatiable taste for rabbit, so she's never off leash off my property.

I have a similar issue, and I'm the complainer

My house and neighbour's house back onto a field. Between the houses is chain link, but both have "cow" fences that connect to back field.

My dogs could wander thru, but don't. They know they don't cross the fence. We front onto a major highway.

Neighbour's mutt goes out back of his yard (or front) and comes into my back yard....showing the way for my 4 month old puppy. she knows better, but it is an awful temptation to follow him thru when I holler to get out of my yard. Damned little mutt pisses on my porch too.

I've lived there for 8 years(with labs) they have been for 7(dog has been there about a year)and now I gotta make contact and tell em to keep their dog out of my yard.

I'm antisocial to a fault in some cases, and I hate to go talk to them. Animal control is a good option for me. Maybe it is someone who doesn't want confrontation, and wants to let the authorities take care of it.

I can respect that

Last edited:
Last edited:
Hate to say it, but the bylaw is pretty clear: https://www.ajax.ca/en/insidetownhall/resources/dogcatoffice.pdf

4.1 For the purpose of this section, a dog or cat shall be deemed to be running at large when
found in any place other than the property of the owner of the dog or cat, and not under the
control of any person.

4.5 Every owner shall keep a dog or cat leashed and under the control of some person when the
dog or cat is off the property of the owner.

Short of the witness not showing, I think you'd be hard pressed to fight a ticket.

Thanks... I have read it already.

Last edited:
Now, I know alot of you will be like " leash your dog ahole" blah blah blah...

P1_zpscbdef787.jpg

My city put up a nice shiny new sign in our park with all the rules posted, one of which is leash your dog. I'd care about their rules if......

00b80621-181f-454c-89ef-2bc9848eb345_zps44899d20.jpg

They'd clear the entrance and dig out the fire hydrant.

P5_zpsc10bc6ba.jpg

Do some weeding.

P3_zpsdd3354fc.jpg

And maybe some feeding.

P4_zps764c092d.jpg

Upkeep the aged sports areas (or at least trim the weeds around it).

47b0528f-d5f9-4ff5-87ac-4f711b86efd8_zps46a58e12.jpg

And not bang out the decks of the mowers in the corner and leave the crap sitting there.

Needless to say, my dog runs free there. And Ive been known to do a few laps to warm up the KTM prior to changing the oil.

4.1 For the purpose of this section, a dog or cat shall be deemed to be running at large when
found in any place other than the property of the owner of the dog or cat, and not under the
control of any person.

4.5 Every owner shall keep a dog or cat leashed and under the control of some person when the
dog or cat is off the property of the owner.

Its funny because I can walk my dog down the street with no leash and he wont leave my side unless I tell him to...Then there are the owners that cant even control their dog while its on a leash...So technically under 4.1 if your dog is not under your control even leashed they should be charged right? I just find it funny how some laws work.

Personally I'd rather see all dogs off leash trained, listening, and behaving rather than the idiots that think a leash can control their failed attempt at dog ownership.

I really don't mind seeing off leash dogs on trails. This is coming from someone that had to take rabies shots :)

I find the leashed purse dogs way more annoying.

So I live in Ajax... I have a 3 year old boxer. Since a pup has been running free without a leash ok... my house backs onto a pond and then there is a wooded area... you access by a trail beside my house.
Now the first complaint was 1 month ago, the town came and said someone saw my dog off leash. I told her no, which I was not lying because the time she said i wasnt even home, but either way. I contacted the supervisor, and they told me a charge can be laid just based off of someones complaint. Thats pretty crazy, but so be it.
They came today, but I was not home so I am sure they will be back later and my father said it looked like she had a ticket to hand out. So if it is a ticket, then I will definately make a court date and fight it. Now, I know alot of you will be like " leash your dog ahole" blah blah blah... I do that one walks, but early in the am and late at night I let him stretch his legs, and he has bothered no one.
Back to my point, so they said if I get charged I can make a court date to fight it, so then I asked if the witness has to show... and yes they do. So will the witness show? I highly doubt it, as its usually coward neighbours who hate animals and have nothing better to do... or the new neighbour that moved in last year because everyone else on the street knows my dog and loves him.

Has anybody dealt with this kind of issue and what was the outcome?

So you break the law, get a warning about it a month ago, knowingly continue to break the law and now you come on here complaining?

What part of the law do you not understand? Or are you above the law?

Pay the fine, stop letting your dog loose. If you do then realize that you're breaking the law and will probably get another ticket.

If its such a big deal to let him run loose then find another place, but realize that you're technically breaking the law.
Across from my house people do the exact same thing, they let their dogs run around, take a dump and they don't even pick up. Ive lost count of how many times ive had dogs come running at me for no reason. A couple times i thought i was going to get bitten and got myself ready to punt the little suckers across the street if they came any closer.

Your dog is just like other people's kids, no one cares about them but you.

I had a pitbull (Passed away a few years back), well trained and would always stay by my side. However, I can understand other people horror when they saw an animal they didn't know off leash so I kept him leashed whenever we went for a walk or to a park. When he needed to stretch I took him to high park so he could run.

Unfortunately irresponsible dog owners, create the problems for everyone and the responsibility of owning a dog is to go out of your way to give him the exercise he needs, even if it is less convenient than to let him out in the backyard.

So you break the law, get a warning about it a month ago, knowingly continue to break the law and now you come on here complaining?
What part of the law do you not understand? Or are you above the law?

Pay the fine, stop letting your dog loose. If you do then realize that you're breaking the law and will probably get another ticket.

If its such a big deal to let him run loose then find another place, but realize that you're technically breaking the law.
Across from my house people do the exact same thing, they let their dogs run around, take a dump and they don't even pick up. Ive lost count of how many times ive had dogs come running at me for no reason. A couple times i thought i was going to get bitten and got myself ready to punt the little suckers across the street if they came any closer.

Your dog is just like other people's kids, no one cares about them but you.

^^^ +1

Thanks... I have read it already. The person wont show up I guarantee it. Knowing they have to deal with a neighbour that knows you complained on them?? Unless they have some really big balls.. and if they do, I am willing to be found guilty and pay the fine and now know who did it. Just sayin.

And this ^^^ is just childish. I wish I was your neighbour.

^^^ +1

And this ^^^ is just childish. I wish I was your neighbour.[/QUOTE

I wish you were too... then when you show up and I know its you... i can make being a neighbour way more terrible then a friendly loose dog. Cheers!

The gtam iron fist on anything but bikes. Wonder how many you break the noise bylaws with loud exhaust pipes or go 1KM/h over the limit. Like drivers/riders some dog owners have good control over their dogs and don't put anyone in danger if they break the law a bit.

Be a responsible dog owner. Fence your yard.

93f7087ebbe8d055b7acf34593c4a156.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom