HOV Lanes - any way to petition for use? | GTAMotorcycle.com

HOV Lanes - any way to petition for use?

EaZ8

i have been reading that "Green Vehicles" are also permitted to drive in the HOV lanes (passenger number doesnt matter) a green vehicle is a hybrid.
( http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/vehicle/electric/ev-green-plates.shtml )

so if they can get "Green Plates" to drive in the HOV lanes why cant a motorcycle that uses a fraction of the fuel, also with 1 rider most bikes are at max capasity, some people take passengers (i run a solo cowl)

any ideas? it just seems logical that they allow motorcycles in them for both safety and practicality.

well that just sucks...
it really makes no sense that motorcycles arent allowed in those lanes, i just assumed they were till a friend told me otherwise last summer.

Just use them.. If we all use them they cant do jack. With the amount of taxes we pay. The goverment pockets the money instead of building and investing into roads and logistics. Ontario has not built jack in the gta and Golden Horseshoe since the sixties..

Google this subject "recent world transportation construction" and find out how pathetic our system is. Compared to other nations..

If any politician goes against the grain and tries to make a change.. They make a "rob ford" out of him..

Mean while there is 10 jack ***** trying to build an off ramp at 401 and lakeridge for a year now with nothing to show for... If you go to other countries they have 3000 workers per shift working 24 hours a day building subways and hwys and bridges.

Last edited:
Just use them.. If we all use them they cant do jack. With the amount of taxes we pay. The goverment pockets the money instead of building and investing into roads and logistics. Ontario has not built jack in the gta and Golden Horseshoe since the sixties..

Google this subject "recent world transportation construction" and find out how pathetic our system is. Compared to other nations..

If any politician goes against the grain and tries to make a change.. They make a "rob ford" out of him..

Mean while there is 10 jack ***** trying to build an off ramp at 401 and lakeridge for a year now with nothing to show for... If you go to other countries they have 3000 workers per shift working 24 hours a day building subways and hwys and bridges.

This is extremely bad advice. You don't get something that you want, legally, by demonstrating that you are unwilling to follow the rules. All that does, is get people's backs up to block you. Not to mention, of course, the legal ramifications.

this is the stupidest thing. how is having a single occupant in a "green vehicle" gonna solve congestion? AND if you think about it, these said "green vehicles" should be the ones stuck in traffic as they do not emit as much/any harmful fumes into the atmosphere. the faster "normal cars" get to their destinations, the less fumes produced :D

this is the stupidest thing. how is having a single occupant in a "green vehicle" gonna solve congestion? AND if you think about it, these said "green vehicles" should be the ones stuck in traffic as they do not emit as much/any harmful fumes into the atmosphere. the faster "normal cars" get to their destinations, the less fumes produced :D

The idea is to create an incentive for people to buy more energy efficient vehicles. If you create a situation in which people are rewarded for doing so, they'll tend to do it.

As others have pointed out in the past motorcycles, especially sportbikes, aren't all that efficient energy users. They're built for performance, not economy. You can frequently get better fuel economy from something like a Toyota Tercel or Nissan Versa, even while carrying an additional passenger or cargo. If you want to convince politicians to allow motorcycles in the commuter lanes, then you need to use a different tactic.

This is extremely bad advice. You don't get something that you want, legally, by demonstrating that you are unwilling to follow the rules. All that does, is get people's backs up to block you. Not to mention, of course, the legal ramifications.

Well thats what we have been conditioned to do.. To obey to the rules or "laws".. And you thought education was free? :)

I respectfully agree.. In this day and age thats the only way to get what you want.

I didnt want the guy that replaced rob ford to spend $450,000 (the very next day he replaced him) on "the study of of bike lanes in blood street". I wily have much rather had that money allocated to building a road of some sort ... But i did not have a say on that did i,,,

Well thats what we have been conditioned to do.. To obey to the rules or "laws".. And you thought education was free? :)

I respectfully agree.. In this day and age thats the only way to get what you want.

I didnt want the guy that replaced rob ford to spend $450,000 (the very next day he replaced him) on "the study of of bike lanes in blood street". I wily have much rather had that money allocated to building a road of some sort ... But i did not have a say on that did i,,,

We have a system and it's best to pursue this sort of thing through that system. Unfortunately most people are too lazy of selfish, to work things through that way and, as a result, nothing changes. Unless you have critical mass, 'protest' actions like this will be meaningless. We, as motorcyclists, do not have critical mass. People like me, who took the time to write to The Minister when the commuter lanes were first opened, are in the decided minority.

For example: Back in 2004 I was involved in organizing a protest ride, to raise awareness regarding the insanely high insurance rates motorcyclists pay in Ontario, especially the newer ones. We had the backing of people in the industry. Bruce Reeve of Cycle Canada had been given a heads up and was going to be there. My contacts at CMG Online wanted it written up for them, which I was prepared to do. I posted on a good half dozen forums, which got the word out to thousands of Ontario riders. True, we realized there was a flaw in our scheduled date and had to move it up a day, a couple of weeks before the event was planned, but there were dozens of riders who said they would be there 'no matter what.' All told I figured we'd have more than a hundred show. We got a little over thirty and those who did show up, didn't have any trouble getting good rates. Two of the people who showed up were kids on bicycles, who were hoping to buy bikes in a couple of years.

The problem here is apathy; not a broken system.

We have a system and it's best to pursue this sort of thing through that system. Unfortunately most people are too lazy of selfish, to work things through that way and, as a result, nothing changes. Unless you have critical mass, 'protest' actions like this will be meaningless. We, as motorcyclists, do not have critical mass. People like me, who took the time to write to The Minister when the commuter lanes were first opened, are in the decided minority.

For example: Back in 2004 I was involved in organizing a protest ride, to raise awareness regarding the insanely high insurance rates motorcyclists pay in Ontario, especially the newer ones. We had the backing of people in the industry. Bruce Reeve of Cycle Canada had been given a heads up and was going to be there. My contacts at CMG Online wanted it written up for them, which I was prepared to do. I posted on a good half dozen forums, which got the word out to thousands of Ontario riders. True, we realized there was a flaw in our scheduled date and had to move it up a day, a couple of weeks before the event was planned, but there were dozens of riders who said they would be there 'no matter what.' All told I figured we'd have more than a hundred show. We got a little over thirty and those who did show up, didn't have any trouble getting good rates. Two of the people who showed up were kids on bicycles, who were hoping to buy bikes in a couple of years.

The problem here is apathy; not a broken system.

I agree with you but the system no longer functions like how you think it does.. It would be ideal if it did.. Behind close doors they laugh at your peaceful protest and letters.

unfortunately it takes law breaking to get noticed.. And it takes guys like me who break and guys like you who write to even start a conversation.. I can go off the handle and get into why but thats a whole new thread!

Realistically How many laws are we and were we able to change using your civil methods? The law makers just make them and we obey.

Why not offer some referendum votes to the public so we can have a say on simple things that effect our daily commute..

Today its hov lanes tomorrow it will be, no cars downtown during business hours.. Its taking away your freedom.. Because of their incompetence.. Sure bring refugees into the city by the millions but dont put a cent into infrastructure.. Its all money in their pockets.. They got no problem collecting your hst and car sticker fees and bike fees. Etc

AAA did a study on the 401 years ago and said it was a terrible design. The express collector concept creates non flowing traffic and forces people to constantly rush and change lanes..
Back they said a 20 billion dollar re haul to merge them together.

The liberals just blew $1 billion and the mayors replacement blew $450,000 on bike lane studies. Then the e-health fiasco was about a billion.. It adds up.. were they held accountable?

We got monkeys running the show.. We can no longer blindly follow and obey... I drive on the HOV everyday with my car.. Its our country think about it.

Anyways thats more then my 2 cents and final post on the subject :)

I agree with you but the system no longer functions like how you think it does.. It would be ideal if it did.. Behind close doors they laugh at your peaceful protest and letters.

unfortunately it takes law breaking to get noticed.. And it takes guys like me who break and guys like you who write to even start a conversation.. I can go off the handle and get into why but thats a whole new thread!

Realistically How many laws are we and were we able to change using your civil methods? The law makers just make them and we obey.

Why not offer some referendum votes to the public so we can have a say on simple things that effect our daily commute..

Today its hov lanes tomorrow it will be, no cars downtown during business hours.. Its taking away your freedom.. Because of their incompetence.. Sure bring refugees into the city by the millions but dont put a cent into infrastructure.. Its all money in their pockets.. They got no problem collecting your hst and car sticker fees and bike fees. Etc

AAA did a study on the 401 years ago and said it was a terrible design. The express collector concept creates non flowing traffic and forces people to constantly rush and change lanes..
Back they said a 20 billion dollar re haul to merge them together.

The liberals just blew $1 billion and the mayors replacement blew $450,000 on bike lane studies. Then the e-health fiasco was about a billion.. It adds up.. were they held accountable?

We got monkeys running the show.. We can no longer blindly follow and obey... I drive on the HOV everyday with my car.. Its our country think about it.

Anyways thats more then my 2 cents and final post on the subject :)

We've got monkeys running the show and guess what; we put them there. We are the system and it's apathy that allows wingnuts, thieves, and liars to control the government. Referenda are a lazy way for politicians to see which way the wind is blowing, then get in front of public opinion. We elect politicians to represent our desires in government, not to constantly ask us what we want from them today.

Keep voting malfeasant liars into office and you'll only have malfeasant liars running for office. Whack them on the nose with a rolled up newspaper in the next election, after they lie to you, and you might get somewhere. That seems to be too difficult for most people, though, who vote on a simply bipartisan basis while taking the lies as truth. The Federal Conservatives and the Provincial Liberals have held power for this long for that simple reason.

Activism isn't doing what you bloody well please, whether legal or not. It's standing up for what you believe, for the public good. How many laws were we able to change using the system? All of them that have been changed. Unfortunately people keep falling for the 'feel good, do nothing, and THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!' crap that politicians keep feeding you, instead of using your brains to think critically. Barbie says, "Math is hard!"

We've got monkeys running the show and guess what; we put them there. We are the system and it's apathy that allows wingnuts, thieves, and liars to control the government. Referenda are a lazy way for politicians to see which way the wind is blowing, then get in front of public opinion. We elect politicians to represent our desires in government, not to constantly ask us what we want from them today.

Keep voting malfeasant liars into office and you'll only have malfeasant liars running for office. Whack them on the nose with a rolled up newspaper in the next election, after they lie to you, and you might get somewhere. That seems to be too difficult for most people, though, who vote on a simply bipartisan basis while taking the lies as truth. The Federal Conservatives and the Provincial Liberals have held power for this long for that simple reason.

Activism isn't doing what you bloody well please, whether legal or not. It's standing up for what you believe, for the public good. How many laws were we able to change using the system? All of them that have been changed. Unfortunately people keep falling for the 'feel good, do nothing, and THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!!' crap that politicians keep feeding you, instead of using your brains to think critically. Barbie says, "Math is hard!"

We are on the same boat, I am all for standing up and protesting but i just think its on deaf ears.

And Last i checked, we have a premier who was not elected as a premier and a mayor who was elected and stripped of his powers without being convicted of a single wrong doing in a court of law.

And no one cares, because they are too busy with paying bills and watching netflix

Yeah so i dont have much faith in the system

We are on the same boat, I am all for standing up and protesting but i just think its on deaf ears.

And Last i checked, we have a premier who was not elected as a premier and a mayor who was elected and stripped of his powers without being convicted of a single wrong doing in a court of law.

And no one cares, because they are too busy with paying bills and watching netflix

Yeah so i dont have much faith in the system
What's there to care about? Premiers have never been elected by popular vote in the history of Ontario, so nothing's changed. And the mayor is still mayor, with the level of authority that befits his ability to lead. Sounds fair to me.

I'm more concerned about people who think they have a right to drive everywhere regardless of the social costs. People who act like they are owed something because they go to work every day. People who are disappointed with the level of civil engagement and then proceed to accuse politicians of being thieves, incompetent, jack a****, and monkeys who mock the rest of us. As if that's going to lead to any form of productive engagement.

Last edited:
What's there to care about? Premiers have never been elected by popular vote in the history of Ontario, so nothing's changed. And the mayor is still mayor, with the level of authority that befits his ability to lead. Sounds fair to me.

I'm more concerned about people who think they have a right to drive everywhere regardless of the social costs. People who act like they are owed something because they go to work every day. People who are disappointed with the level of civil engagement and then proceed to accuse politicians of being thieves, incompetent, jack a****, and monkeys who mock the rest of us. As if that's going to lead to any form of productive engagement.

In other words, or at least my take on it, don't bother whining unless you're willing to try and do something about it. Even if all that you're doing is letting your elected officials know that you're dissatisfied, it's still more than nothing.

I am doing something about it... I am driving on the how lane. Its you two who are not doing anything but talking because you dont have the courage to do something

But when some one comes here and says they are doing something you talk them down like a major crime is commuted

Next time you drive or ride over 60 give yourself the same treatment

Pick n chose what laws to obey and roll over everytime they pass a new one.

Last edited:
I am doing something about it... I am driving on the how lane. Its you two who are not doing anything but talking because you dont have the courage to do something

But when some one comes here and says they are doing something you talk them down like a major crime is commuted

Next time you drive or ride over 60 give yourself the same treatment

Pick n chose what laws to obey and roll over everytime they pass a new one.

... while we get to watch your license slowly disappear.

One last point

Most times anything worth while in terms of changing laws and making a better life for the people has been generally done from "action"

look up American civil laws,
Search Martin Luther king
Look up european history..

You just sit there and "protest"..

Its nothing.. Because protesting is what they allow you to do

You need to do something that is uncomfortable to them and something you are not allowed to do to make a change.

I disagree with hov lanes i protest it by driving on them. It makes me feel good, i will stop when i want.

Back
Top Bottom