Headsets or not??? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Headsets or not???

MacDoc - no, hand signals are not distracting. But idle chatter seems to be the main reason for people to lose focus. I'd rather be in that cone of silence, besides, I have no staff that needs to contact me. I'm still of the opinion that there is more distraction than benefit in headsets, maybe you guys are just better riders than me.

MacDoc - no, hand signals are not distracting. But idle chatter seems to be the main reason for people to lose focus. I'd rather be in that cone of silence, besides, I have no staff that needs to contact me. I'm still of the opinion that there is more distraction than benefit in headsets, maybe you guys are just better riders than me.

Hand signal can be distracting.
1 the one giving signal takes the hand off controls
2 the receiver need to look to see it

While a clear spoken voice can be easily understood.
Wear earplugs with the headset so communication will be audible even at 120kph.
There's an off/ silence button to all BT device.

That's part of the reason I like my SMH-5 unit; it can only connect to one other unit at a time for talking rather than have a "chat line" with all headsets at the same time.

The primary use, for me, is to listen to a little music at a low volume so I'm not distracted from my daily commute. However, many times, I don't bother putting on any music at, prefering to sit in my "cone of silence".

The main advantage for the unit comes into play when riding in a group. In the past, hand signals alone leads to confusion and the group would slow down and take wrong turns. With the units, the pack leader has communication (when needed) with the sweeper and can communicate with someone double checking the map. This past summer, all pack rides I was part of went very smoothly as a result. I'm not one for idle chatter so I just opt out.

Got my SMH5 unit in the mail yesterday... small unit and easy to install. Sound quality is great but there is pretty much no bass for music. I may get the speaker upgrade kit which allows you to plugin SMH10 speakers which are apparently better.

Sound quality is great but there is pretty much no bass for music. I may get the speaker upgrade kit which allows you to plugin SMH10 speakers which are apparently better.

If you're looking for bass, you might want to consider in-ear-canal headphones like Etymotic. They do a great job isolating outside noise and the bass response is far superior to helmet speakers.

If you're looking for bass, you might want to consider in-ear-canal headphones like Etymotic. They do a great job isolating outside noise and the bass response is far superior to helmet speakers.

I have some nice quality earbuds, I actually opted for these because I don't like things shoved in my ear the whole time I'm riding. :D

Funny thing about the Sena's, if you don't wear earplugs they have no bass at all, but with earplugs in they sound much better.

Quote Originally Posted by skapan View Post

Maybe you've never used them. :rolleyes:

•••

homme de ferr
The main advantage for the unit comes into play when riding in a group. In the past, hand signals alone leads to confusion and the group would slow down and take wrong turns.

With the units, the pack leader has communication (when needed) with the sweeper and can communicate with someone double checking the map.

This past summer, all pack rides I was part of went very smoothly as a result. I'm not one for idle chatter so I just opt out.

We found putting the navigator behind the lead worked well - the nav would indicate the turn coming up for the lead.
The lead would have an eye out for road hazards etc. Split the duties.
Was accidental we did it and then we continued to do it as it worked well.

Yup - off button is very easy to find.

What I've done in my helmet is built a foam "insulator" around each speaker to direct the sound to my ear and insulate it from outside noise. It takes a lot of trial and error to get it right; too tight and it's uncomfortable, too small and it creates hotspots on your ear, too big and you create hotspots on your cheek.

Last edited:
I have some nice quality earbuds, I actually opted for these because I don't like things shoved in my ear the whole time I'm riding. :D

Prepare for a life of hearing damage, then...

Maybe you've never used them. :rolleyes:

•••

homme de ferr

We found putting the navigator behind the lead worked well - the nav would indicate the turn coming up for the lead.
The lead would have an eye out for road hazards etc. Split the duties.
Was accidental we did it and then we continued to do it as it worked well.

Yup - off button is very easy to find.

Same , when i organize a ride, I lead from the back and let those more sporty in front. 1 km range is enough for them to ride aggressive until communication cuts out and then they wait for me to catch up.

Everybody enjoys at their own pace and i bring the group to new places.

I don't ride a harley.

Yeah. If you did you would have a chance. The wind with a full helmet is what will get you. Ear plugs are pretty much mandatory for 120+ sustained speeds. If I ride for too long without them I get ringing like at a concert

I don't ride a harley.

Doesn't matter every helmet makes enough noise to cause hearing damage without earplugs. Even if your bike is silent you are coursing hearing damage.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Yup - both are correct.
Wind noise above 90 kph will damage unprotected ears, the faster you go or the longer you ride - the more damage and it does not take much time at high speeds.

You need at least 26 dB of noise reduction.

Remember this does not prevent you from hearing what is going on....for instance I can hear the Scala speakers even with the earplugs in - I do have to turn them up to do so but they are still clear and even easier without the high level background noise.

Your hearing clamps down to protect itself so you may think you are hearing better with no ear plugs but you really are not. The sweet spot seems around 26 dB attentuation .....you can buy various levels....for instance I find -33 too much - like being in a ball of cotton ....tho they are wonderful for sleeping.

Good earphones like the UltimateEars ( designed for musicians with similar high level noise issues ) do a great job - good attentuation and terrific sound.

Appreciate the concern, I have a full fairing bike and I don't recall a lot of wind noise but maybe it's because I only travel on 80 km/h roads, since I live out in the country... occasionally I'll go faster but the sustained speed out here is around 80-100, so maybe I haven't noticed that yet since I haven't done highway riding! Thanks for the advice!

Rye ,
That fairing does nothing to protect your hearing unless you ride laying on the tank with your head behind the screen, and even then I doubt it helps much.
Trust the experienced posters above and get some plugs. You get used to them pretty quickly and they make a huge difference.

PS - anyone know if the Sena SMH5 has the aux in port for the headphone/ipod? The Squeeze has a Nano but I don't know if it's the "redesigned" model with BT.

Last edited:
anyone know if the Sena SMH5 has the aux in port for the headphone/ipod? The Squeeze has a Nano but I don't know if it's the "redesigned" model with BT.

No Aux In for the SMH5. If your Nano isn't BT, then you can get an external BT receiver that either plugs into the earphone jack for audio, or one that plugs into the dock connector for AVRCP (fast forward/rewind/pause/volume control over BT).

It's kludgy, but will get your non-BT Nano talking to the SMH5.

Rye ,
That fairing does nothing to protect your hearing unless you ride laying on the tank with your head behind the screen, and even then I doubt it helps much.
Trust the experienced posters above and get some plugs. You get used to them pretty quickly and they make a huge difference.

PS - anyone know if the Sena SMH5 has the aux in port for the headphone/ipod? The Squeeze has a Nano but I don't know if it's the "redesigned" model with BT.

What???

I can't hear you....

:D :D

Back
Top Bottom