Headsets or not??? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Headsets or not???

Is the sena a rechargable battery unit or do I need 12v plug in for it? I'm already thinking I'll run a 12v plug in to the back seat and let the Squeeze take care of the ipod.

The Sena SMH-10 will last at least 10 hrs. on a single charge. The Sena will operate while it is being charged. I've use portable power pack to power the Sena on those 16 hrs. days or when I've forgotten or couldn't charge overnight. My SMH-10 is equipped with the earphone clamp and I have the speakers installed in the helmet and wired to a phono plug. Earbuds for when the ride will be over 80 kph and the headphone in the city.

I bought a pair of Sena SMH-5 last year and all my riding buddies have the same unit. I lend my extra unit to whomever I'm riding with as it allows us to make the right turns and talk about potential trouble on the road. The music is nice as it helps pass the time while slabbing it.

I have nothing but good things to say about the unit as it is simple to use and has good range. If you regularly travel in a group larger than 4, you'll want the SMH10 as, I believe, it allows you to pair up to 8 units together.

FYI Sena has released FW 5.0 for the SMH10, which now lets it work with other brand units as well (although you can only pair with 1 off-brand unit vs the usual number of Senas). Same feature will be coming to the SMH10R and SMH5 series in the near future.

I too investigated various headsets at a past motorcycle show, wanting to be able to hear all the "missed" shouts from my wife. The salesman was talking about the Sena and Scala too. Having made my decision, I began reaching for my credit card then I bailed at the last moment... Hey wait, I don't want to get distracted while riding, (I love the isolation when riding) heck I don't need to turn my head and look at that pretty red house or whatever might take my eyes off the road. Time for conversations can be had with the stand down. So 6 years later, we've mastered sending smoke signals while riding - The kids think I still live in the dark ages - ha!

SeaBreez, I agree. Although we can only use hand signals, riding is the best "together" time for my wife and I. We both learned long before all the electronics, and can communicate perfectly well. Idle chatter, music or "look at that" only distracts people. If she gets pissy, she honks her horn or just pulls over and waits for me to realize she has stopped. Enjoy the ride in silence.

I had used one during my M2 Exit and honestly, it was distracting as hell. I recommend against them. They were the foam yellow ear plugs with a hole in middle for receiver. Still never again.

Xeon
With due respect as a new rider you were in no position to evaluate a communication system.

••

SKapan and Seabreez ......again do you really think you are not distracted trying to "interpret" hand signals and taps???!!!

•••

Unless you have actually put some time in with a good comm you don't know what you are missing.
Safer, more enjoyment and it does have an off button.

The first thing my Australian riding partner said when I saw him here last week......"gee I miss riding with the Scala."

He got hooked when he and his daughter did a 6k trip together and they both said the comms made the trip much better.

I feel the same way with various riding partners....there is a huge sense of relief to be able to communicate clearly - be it pit stop, road danger or your pack is coming loose.

They are only getting better and solo I love to be able to chat with my daughter by phone when I've got a long stretch of boring slab and to know that staff can get hold of me.
Lower stress all around.

Last edited:
Just ordered an SMH5 unit - was back and forth between the SMH10 and SMH5 but since I'll probably be doing more solo than group riding this year I opted for the model with less options, less range for the intercom, half the size and half the price. I'll be using it for mostly music, maybe taking a phone call, and for my GPS directions if I need them too - I have an iPhone mount on my handlebars along with a 5v USB plug so I won't drain the phone battery, also put an extra USB outlet for charging the headset on long trips.

Will report back on sound quality and anything else once I get it!

Just ordered an SMH5 unit - was back and forth between the SMH10 and SMH5 but since I'll probably be doing more solo than group riding this year I opted for the model with less options, less range for the intercom, half the size and half the price. I'll be using it for mostly music, maybe taking a phone call, and for my GPS directions if I need them too - I have an iPhone mount on my handlebars along with a 5v USB plug so I won't drain the phone battery, also put an extra USB outlet for charging the headset on long trips.

Will report back on sound quality and anything else once I get it!

Just be aware "most" GPS units bluetooth aren't compatible with headsets. The GPS doesn't have the proper bluetooth technology to transmit to the head set. I found this out last year when using my Garmin 3950 it can receive and transmit to a phone but it is different technology than what head sets use.

I am excited to get back on the bike this year as I downloaded an app to the blackberry called "tunein" it plays music from various radio stations, (MANY MANY genres), and they are internet stations so NO "dj" and very limited commercials, (usually about 3 - 5 per hour). SO I will stream that via bluetooth to the headset.

I also agree with MacDoc, the ones used by Service Ontario, for Xenovibe at the M2 test, are terrible and shouldn't even be included in this discussion.

As for those who feel it would be too distracting, (yes a bike requires more attention to detail), but does that mean you also never turn the radio in the car? Have conversations with passengers? or use bluetooth phone for calls? All of these provide no more "distraction" than would hearing the same coming from a headset.

Last edited:
I don't think I'd ever need a communicator on day trips or shorter tours where you're more familiar with your surroundings. Pretty much anywhere in North America, I'd be comfortable using hand signals or talking at stops.

However, when the culture around you is so different that constant and immediate communication is important, then those headsets become invaluable.

We were in Moradabad in Northern India when we were attacked by an angry mob who were evacuating their villages because of torrential flooding. Neda was paralyzed on her motorcycle and I was yelling at her to push through the crowd as they were slapping our helmets and picking at stuff of our bikes. If we had our communicators, I could have given her calm instructions and talked her through the situation.

I think at that moment, we decided to get headsets.

Now we use them all the time, at border crossings to help with my non-existent language skills, dealing with transit police at traffic stops, making sure we don't lose each other in congested Latin American traffic, when we're riding off-road, we can warn the rider behind of upcoming obstacles, oncoming oversize vehicles, etc.

But if we're just going to the Forks or Deals Gap, the communicators are a nice-to-have, but not essential, IMO.

Last edited:
Just be aware "most" GPS units bluetooth aren't compatible with headsets. The GPS doesn't have the proper bluetooth technology to transmit to the head set. I found this out last year when using my Garmin 3950 it can receive and transmit to a phone but it is different technology than what head sets use.

I am excited to get back on the bike this year as I downloaded an app to the blackberry called "tunein" it plays music from various radio stations, (MANY MANY genres), and they are internet stations so NO "dj" and very limited commercials, (usually about 3 - 5 per hour). SO I will stream that via bluetooth to the headset.

I also agree with MacDoc, the ones used by Service Ontario, for Xenovibe at the M2 test, are terrible and shouldn't even be included in this discussion.

As for those who feel it would be too distracting, (yes a bike requires more attention to detail), but does that mean you also never turn the radio in the car? Have conversations with passengers? or use bluetooth phone for calls? All of these provide no more "distraction" than would hearing the same coming from a headset.

GPS through iPhone - iPhone mount on handlebars :D

I started this thread and have been through it a few times. Sena keeps coming up as the one to beat. My only question is can I hook up/in the ipod to listen to podcasts?
Thanks

I started this thread and have been through it a few times. Sena keeps coming up as the one to beat. My only question is can I hook up/in the ipod to listen to podcasts?
Thanks

Yes, if your iPod has bluetooth(my iPhone does, not sure about the iPod) you can do it wirelessly, if not there is a port on the side that you can plug it into, like an aux port in a car. Sena is the way to go for sure.

A little help for the technically challenged. In the car we listen to the ipod by tuning into a particular radio frequency and then the sound is broadcast through the radio. Is that an indication of bluetooth?

A little help for the technically challenged. In the car we listen to the ipod by tuning into a particular radio frequency and then the sound is broadcast through the radio. Is that an indication of bluetooth?

That sounds like an FM modulator to me. What's your iPod plugged into when in the car, a cigarette lighter do-hicky that may have an FM modulator built in, perhaps?

My son and I have scala's, I love them. When we ride together we talk quite a bit. Once a few years ago we were up by Perry Sound, I was ahead of him, a deer charged out of the bush out of my view, my son yelled "DEER", I hit the brakes just as it ran in front of me. I'm sure i'd have hit it if he hadn't yelled. The bluetooth is great, I have a tendancy to go for unplanned 8 or 900km joy rides and my wife likes to be able to keep in touch or at least know where I've dissappeared to.

That sounds like an FM modulator to me. What's your iPod plugged into when in the car, a cigarette lighter do-hicky that may have an FM modulator built in, perhaps?

Yes something that plugs into the cig lighter, clamps the pod in place and then has a cable that goes into the pod.

So probably not bluetooth???

Yes something that plugs into the cig lighter, clamps the pod in place and then has a cable that goes into the pod.

So probably not bluetooth???

No thats an FM modulator, that wont help you at all. Here is a list of iPods that have Bluetooth and dont, hope it helps.

Has Bluetooth

• iPod Touch 5th Generation
  • iPod Nano "redesigned"

Lacks Bluetooth

• iPod Touch 4th Generation
  • iPod Classic
  • iPod Shuffle

Not sure about the SMH5 and SMH10R, but the SMH10 has a 3.5mm aux in port, so no matter what iPod you have you can just run a cable out of its headphone jack and into the Sena. That's essentially what I did with my old 4GB Nano the last two years (with it in my inside jacket pocket) and it worked without any issues. You'll also get better battery life this way than using Bluetooth for the music or podcasts.

No thats an FM modulator, that wont help you at all. Here is a list of iPods that have Bluetooth and dont, hope it helps.

Has Bluetooth

• iPod Touch 5th Generation
  • iPod Nano "redesigned"

Lacks Bluetooth

• iPod Touch 4th Generation
  • iPod Classic
  • iPod Shuffle

There are headsets with built-in FM receiver. Don't know about Sena, but my Scala Q3 has one.

Back
Top Bottom