Suzuki C50T vs Yamaha V Star 950.....little help? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Suzuki C50T vs Yamaha V Star 950.....little help?

Katatonic

Site Supporter
I sold my Katana 750 this past Fall and intend on purchasing a cruiser before the Spring. Reasons for the switch is so my wife and I will be more comfortable on longer, and multi-day, rides. However, about 3/4's of my riding will be solo.
I've narrowed down the list to either the Suzuki C50T or Yamaha V Star 950, but now I'm stuck. They each have some qualities I prefer over the other, but not enough for me to make up my mind.
For example, I prefer the V Star's belt drive slightly over shaft drive. But I prefer the C50's cornering clearance over the V Star's.
I'm hoping that a few of you have some experience on one, or both, of these bikes and would be willing to chime in.
There's some great deals to be had on both of these bikes right now, but I just can't pull the trigger on either yet!

I can only comment on my C50 SE being basically the same bike, I have not yet found anything I don't like about it, I'll add one thing about the wife, after about 300 Kms riding she complains about a sore butt :) so I got her a pilon cushion, now I don't hear any complaints, bike runs great and smooth. Either way I think you will like either bike, now lets just pray for an early spring!

No interest in the Vulcan 900 LT?

I'm assuming you are looking at the V-star 950 Tourer since you mention the C50T rather than the regular C50.

I have ridden all of them (the wife has a Vulcan 900 Classic), and to be honest I don't think there is enough of a difference to be overly worried about which one you get. Mechanically they are all great bikes. Having said that, if it was me I would probably go with the V-star just because it has far and away the best luggage of the 3. The bags on it are better integrated and higher quality than either of the other two.

i've had the chance at testriding the vstar and while it wasn't the same engine it's a great bike. I like it a lot. I like the V star but if you throw the vulcan into the mix, I would take the vulcan 900 over all of them. Just a personal preference. I suggest you check what your needs are. Since you mentioned multiday trips... you might have to get a c50t because I think you can take more luggage and stuff on that. Plus the sissy bar will accommodate your wife better..

I've ridden my friends 2013 C50T and honestly it felt underpowered. Nor were the gears as smooth as my Vulcan's (she noted that too). When I got back into riding I bought a 2003 Shadow 750 - it rode great until I put the wife on the back. Then I could really tell it was grossly underpowered for two upping and traded it for my current Vulcan 1500 by the end of the season. Considering the C50T has only 50cc's more than the Shadow, IMHO - I would go bigger, you won't regret it. I too would take the Vulcan 900 over the two.

I bought a 2003 Shadow 750 - it rode great until I put the wife on the back. Then I could really tell it was grossly underpowered for two upping.

Yesss. Blame the 750cc vehicle as being grossly underpowered.

OversizedLoad_zpsad0346cd.jpg

Both great bikes. the choice is a personal choice. Keep looking at them till one stands out in your eye.

Aftermarket support - Make sure which ever bike you choose has some decent aftermarket support. You are likely going to want to add things, or change things to make the bike your own, and fit you like a glove. Things like seats, handlebar risers, footpegs/floor boards, backrests for rider and passenger, luggage racks... ect. Go onto Dennis Kirk or J&P cycle and look some stuff up on the bikes your looking and see if stuff is made specifically for the models your looking at. There is universal fit stuff but it's PITA to make work, and never looks right. Most major models have lots of options, but some bikes hardly have anything. This is where i'd go belt drive over shaft. Most belt drive bikes you can change the pulleys to change final drive ratio.

Don't worry to much about cornering clearance. Going from a sport bike to a cruiser you won't be pleased with any of them. It's a different ride altogether. If your planning on doing 2up, then bigger is better. Personally I would be looking 1000+cc for 2up. It's not about speed, it's about carrying capacity.

Speaking of capacity lets talk luggage. I would usually suggest a touring model if it comes with decent sized bags. Most bikes stock bags are a little on the small side I find. A aftermarket pair of bags and a windshield and passenger backrest / luggage rack would be ~$800-1000. So keep that in mind when looking and pricing different bikes.

Thanks for all the replies, I appreciate it. I haven't considered the Vulcan 900 because I really have no interest in owning a Kawasaki.
I think Aminal hit the nail on the head....and trust me, I've been staring at both of them for the last 2 weeks and can't make up my mind!

I wouldn't count on either bike to be better two up. More comfortable yes, less power yes. Torren's advice is sound, look at 1100-1300cc. I've owned a shadow 1100, my dad has a vstar1100 and a victory kingpin 1730cc, tha kingpin has the torque. The vstar 1100 leaves a lot to be desired when two up with luggage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have had a c50T and a rode 950 tourer for a couple years(buddies bike).The c50 is a better bike,has a little less power but both are gutless.The 950 has horrible clearance with huge factory floorboard skid plates just to illustrate the fact.If they know you are serious and wont let you ride they bike or similar models don't buy it.Only buy what you can test as every bike I have ever bought has it's compromises to live with and some you can't depending on who you are.These are things you don't want to find out after you pull out of the dealership with an empty wallet.

Another piece of advise is go to the Volusa Riders and the 950 forums and search for common issues and problems.
C50's need to have the shaft drive INBOARD splines checked and re greased early into ownership (1yr) or they can rot out as there is a build (condensation)issue where it was not done properly in the factory and the 950 can have bad bearing and belt issues.The c50 motor is good for about 60000 miles and the 950 is a 100000 mile motor.I know both bikes very well and would pick the c50 if I had to choose.A little buzzier on the highway than the 950 but it can take it.Load limits are tied to the brakes,not the motor so do not go by them and test them two up.I had my c50 at it's weight limit a few times from Windsor to Toronto (115kph to 150kph), it handled it well and was more comfortable than the 950 but neither are neck snappers,im 230lb and girlfriend is 136lb.The Vulcan special is nice,has a little more power but the skinny front tire turned me off even though they say it doesn't matter.I really liked the murdered out flat black with the red valve covers though.

C50
suzuki paint isn't the greatest,could see runs on the tank if you looked closely
plastic fenders,i actually liked them but you may not
accessory chrome bubbles quickly factory chrome was ok
back rest studs kept falling out and impossible to put back and chrome issues
backrest back plate where it's engraved is bad for chrome $40 for the part but you will be back for another in two years
If you buy a backrest have them put it on and never remove it,The bolt holes don't line up on any of them and you may lose your ****.I did and it's well known with every bike
Shaft drive issues if you don't pm it
buzzy on the highway
A loud pop every once in a while on start up,they all do it
A little too gody for my taste,paint sparkles like mad in the right light.
top speed 110 mph
0 to 60mph forever and a day
55hp
the space between the down tube and motor bugged me very badly
the rear brake reservoir sitting out front in the wind bugged me
was always in the shop for shredded belts and bearings
dragged the floorboards if you even looked left or right
not as comfortable as the c50t
rims finish seemed rough looking compared to the c50t
plastic valve covers i think?
have to get the touring bags $1000 nothing else looks right
top speed 115mph
0 to 60 mph forever and a day
60hp
Just my opinion but if your coming off a sport bike,boy are you in for a shock with the lack of power.With all that said they are as good as any Harley.I say that because the c50t is in fact based on the fatboy just smaller.The 950 is an all new bike design and base on some old car.I actully liked the c50t and should have kept it.

Last edited:
Thanks again for all the replies. Acceleration and top speed are fairly low on my priorities list. Most of the 2-up riding will not be on highways, and if I'm just riding solo I'm sure it'll be just fine.
I think I'm leaning slightly more towards the Suzuki C50T.....there's just something about that bike and I find myself looking at it more than the 950.
Whatever I end up with, I'll be sure to post pictures of the new ride when I get it!

I ride a C50, great bike, and I've owned over 20 bikes.

Yes, it's a little underpowered, but it gets the job done and the community on VolusiaRiders.com is pretty strong

It's comfortable, small enough for city commuting and you can do whatever mods necessary to make it competent on the highway as well. I added a Batwing fairing and that's all. I rode it solo to Lake George, NY last summer to meet with some Volusia Riders (great group) and I was comfortable and confident in the bike the whole way.

I don't care for added chrome doo-dads, but if that's what floats your boat, you can bling it out a bit.

If you plan on 2 up - Then look at bigger. I started with the 2010 - 900 LT - then a 2012 v Star 1300
The 900 was way to slow on Hwy. The 1300 was just enough for the 2 of us, especially when on the Hwy.
Maybe take a look at the C90T - They are also a good ride.
I have now traded in the 1300 to try something different. Have gone with the FJR 1300 for touring this year.
You just need to go out and try the bikes and see how they feel.

Managed to find a nice, clean '09 Suzuki C50T special edition with alloy rims instead of spoked wheels. Price was right so I snatched it up.

2009 SUZUKI 4.jpg

2009 SUZUKI 1.jpg

Congrats, enjoy your new ride.

Grab yourself a luggage rack and a touring bag to mount on it and your good for weeks at a time.

Managed to find a nice, clean '09 Suzuki C50T special edition with alloy rims instead of spoked wheels. Price was right so I snatched it up.

Hey, a little late to the game, but have owned both.

The C50's are nice and from a resale perspective there is lots of interest so you really cannot go wrong. Nice find with the alloy's - bonus to have tubeless tires to be sure!

Just for anyone comparing the 2 in the future, I'd give the edge to the C50 for having more big-bike room and to the vstar 950 for highway cruising at a little faster clip (the c50 gets busy around 120 vs vstar around 135). But they both get majorly involved with buffeting so it's really no fun up there anyway.

Pretty much everything else for me is pretty much a personal preferences thing. Plastic fenders vs steel, belt vs shaft, etc ...

Back
Top Bottom