Yz 250 for trail riding?? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Yz 250 for trail riding??

Bracebridger

Hey, I'm looking for a little more fun is summer and I was wondering about the usability of a 2002 yz250 2 stroke for trail riding. First question is how will it perform and second can it be green plated. I found one close to home asking $1500. Also if anyone has any recommendations for places to ride the trails around the Muskoka area I would like to here about that as well. Thanks.

A yz250 is one of the better bikes for reliability and does make a great trail bike.You need to make sure its in good running condition because its a 11year old bike,all you should need to add is a bigger flywheel weight,skid plate and some hand guards.As long as you have ownership and insurance for the bike you can get it green plated.Its also best if your bike comes with ownership,if it doesn't you will have to do some work to get it as you will need a ownership to get a green plate.

on a stock two stroke you might have a soar clutch hand at the end of the day if you're doing technical stuff but like canuck said add a bigger weight, you can also go up a couple teeth in the rear sprocket and it'll treat you good.

$1500 is a really good price, jump on that.

on a stock two stroke you might have a soar clutch hand at the end of the day if you're doing technical stuff but like canuck said add a bigger weight, you can also go up a couple teeth in the rear sprocket and it'll treat you good.

$1500 is a really good price, jump on that.

Your clutch hand wouldn't be any more sore than your brake hand.

2 smoke in the single track tight stuff is a blast. And you don't "need" a heavier flywheel, just a good set of bark busters and maybe a skid plate.

Enjoy!

i run a cr250 in the woods. it has been a great bike for me.
1500 seems like a good deal depending on condition.
carry a spare spark plug with you and it should be good.

Unfortunately I missed out on the yz 250, so still on the hunt for some dirt fun. For trail use I know a 2 stroke 250 is enough motor to shift a larger guy like myself. Do you think a 4 stoke 250 would be enough power to get someone 6"2 230 up a hill? Thanks

Unfortunately I missed out on the yz 250, so still on the hunt for some dirt fun. For trail use I know a 2 stroke 250 is enough motor to shift a larger guy like myself. Do you think a 4 stoke 250 would be enough power to get someone 6"2 230 up a hill? Thanks

Kinda depends on how big the hill is no? ;)

For me, I wouldn't compare a 2smoke to a 4 stroke of the same cc's because they really aren't in the same league at all.

I'm sure there are many other 250 2 strokes out there to be had.

Any performance 4t (crf, rmz, LCD,yzf) will also require more maintenance and cost. You just can't beat a 2t in the woods. Lighter, cheaper and the smell! I love the smell of 2 t in the morning!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Go with an enduro of a honda xr if all your going to do is trail ride I'm 6'3 210 and I race a crf 450. You don't need all that torque and race stuff for trails only. But if your gonna try racing 4 stroke is the way to go if you keep up on maintenance like I do. 2 smokes will never die but if your set on a 2 stroke say with a 250. 125cc loves rpm's no good for trails

YZ250 make a fine trail bike! with some simple mods, I ride a 1996 RMX250 and it been a blast and dead reliable.

I'm in the 200ish range at the beginning of race season and I'm on a 250 4 stroke... I pick on 450s all the time at the track. In the woods the 250 is a help and I haven't hit a hill yet that I've not made it up due to lack of power.
Only a few times I wish I had a 450... Deep sand like gopher dunes (I seriously have the throttle opened wide unless I'm approaching a tighter corner, and even then it's only for long enough to go down a gear... Slip the clutch and don't let off the throttle going up the gears) and when I'm racing someone on a 450 that is slowing me up but due to their acceleration out of a corner I can't get around (but, those guys just end up with a dirty pass).
Takes a little more work to get it ripping sometimes (proper gear selection, little better flow in corners) but the traction of a 4stroke is great in those hard packed slick conditions.

I'm in the 200ish range at the beginning of race season and I'm on a 250 4 stroke... I haven't hit a hill yet that I've not made it up due to lack of power.

Ever try the big sand hill at Ganaraska? I've seen many guys try to make it up on a 250 (4 stroke) and I don't think I've ever seen anyone make it.

Ever try the big sand hill at Ganaraska? I've seen many guys try to make it up on a 250 (4 stroke) and I don't think I've ever seen anyone make it.

Really! 250 is plenty for the sand hill. With a good run at it of course. 170 full gear probably helps too.

Really! 250 is plenty for the sand hill. With a good run at it of course. 170 full gear probably helps too.

Do you have sand paddles or were you doing a lot of zig zagging?? ;)

I saw the ODSC (past) president fail multiple times on a TE250, and he's a pretty light guy (160lbs I'd imagine). Maybe all the guys I saw attempt it simply weren't wringing the necks of their little 250's enough ;)

Do you have sand paddles or were you doing a lot of zig zagging?? ;)

I saw the ODSC (past) president fail multiple times on a TE250, and he's a pretty light guy (160lbs I'd imagine). Maybe all the guys I saw attempt it simply weren't wringing the necks of their little 250's enough ;)

Maybe he just needed a better run at it. I've ridden with the most recent past pres but he was on a gg and I'm sure he would make it on a 250. I know I can't keep up with him in the single track
No paddles, up around the loop 3rd gear weight shifted back pinned all the way up. Have to come out of the loop perfect or its a no go. I've made it a lot more times than I've failed. Not enough room to zig zag until about 3/4 the way up and zig zagging at that point just takes to much energy.

Topic change. Are you doing Dacre this year?

Are you guys talking about trumps hill, the tight steep goat path beside it or the big sand pit near the forest centre?

A 250 two stroke is excellent in the single track if you can keep it under controll. If your not very experienced I'd go with the 250 4s untill your ready to step up to somthing bigger.

Last edited:
Are you guys talking about trumps hill, the tight steep goat path beside it or the big sand pit near the forest centre?

A 250 two stroke is excellent in the single track if you can keep it under controll. If your not very experienced I'd go with the 250 4s untill your ready to step up to somthing bigger.

Its a bit south west of look out hill. Its in the south west corner of the Ganny. Pure sand and I don't think it matters what your riding if you're not pinned you're not making it. The hill climbs that are closed are just north of the sand hill and are much more of a rider challenge. I think one is called thorpes or something like that. I'm on a drz400 now and I'm not sure I'd make it on the 400 with the extra weight. I'm sure at some point this season I'll give it a shot. I have pictures of it half way up greens mountain so whats a bit of sand in the ganaraska.

Its a bit south west of look out hill. Its in the south west corner of the Ganny. Pure sand and I don't think it matters what your riding if you're not pinned you're not making it. The hill climbs that are closed are just north of the sand hill and are much more of a rider challenge. I think one is called thorpes or something like that. I'm on a drz400 now and I'm not sure I'd make it on the 400 with the extra weight. I'm sure at some point this season I'll give it a shot. I have pictures of it half way up greens mountain so whats a bit of sand in the ganaraska.

I've been up the sand hill numerous times on a DRZ. Even when I had my supermoto wheels with crappy kenda 50/50 tires on it.

My 125 blasts up it so a decent 250 4t should have no trouble if the rider is confident.

The quads wrecked thorpes and the ones around the corner. They are all easy as pie now and very widened out.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom