cellphone ticket? | Page 5 | GTAMotorcycle.com

cellphone ticket?

So the police should "pick and choose what laws to enforce?

They do. The ticket the OP received was part of Durham Region Police "Distracted Driving Blitz" that was conducted from Jan 20 - Jan 24.

Article:

More than 150 drivers were given tickets for driving while texting or talking on a cellphone during a distracted driving blitz in Durham Region last week.

From January 20 to January 24, Traffic Services Branch (TSB) members, as well as front-line officers from each division, conducted an initiative that targeted drivers who use their cellphone while driving. A total of 243 Provincial Offence Notices (PONs) were handed out during the week-long blitz, and 153 of those were for cellphone use. Other offences included speeding, not wearing seatbelts and failing to stop for a red light.

Driving while distracted is both risky and illegal. The fine for contravening the Highway Traffic Act and driving distracted is $155.

DRPS would like to remind drivers that your full attention should be on the road while driving. Talking or texting on a cellphone, eating, playing with the radio or reading makes you a less safe driver as you take your eyes off the road.

(http://www.drps.ca/internet_explorer/whatsnew/whatsnew_view.asp?ID=27601)

For the record it isn't 'cheating the system' to demand you're right of due process. Also if the system is never tested it cannot improve, nor can our legal rights be maintained.

In this case the best chances of a favourable result are procedural failures

Exactly! I guess daveyflakes just admits his guilt and pays his tickets right away. Its not smart at all, but I guess there are some people like that and have lots of extra money for there insurance hikes.

Legally, it may not be cheating the system. And I'm all for fighting your tickets. If you read the rest of my post, you would see that I suggested you go back on a similar day and take pictures to see if you can catch glare.

In fact, I just came back from the courthouse yesterday. My officer didn't show and I got off on my speeding charge. Was I speeding? Honestly I don't know, I didn't look at my speedometer, but I *probably* was. Do I doubt the officer pulled over the correct car? Not really. He wrote the wrong colour in his notes, but I believe it was an honest mistake (night time under streetlights). Do I believe his LIDAR was working properly despite the lack of notes indicating the times he tested it? Yes I do.

And despite all that, I still got off because of a legal technicality, if you will. Legally, there was no evidence against me and that's how the systems work and I'm fine with that. In fact, I'm quite happy that's how it works in my case. But from a moral and common sense point of view, I probably should have suffered the consequences and it would have been just.

All I'm saying is for you to come here and admit you broke the law--as the law stands today--and to say that you're not at all "cheating the system" by fighting the ticket is ridiculous. Either you're morally devoid or are in some serious denial.

In spite of that, I encourage you to fight your ticket. Like Rob mentioned, it is your right to proper due process. The system is flawed and needs to be put under scrutiny to improve. So do what you need to do to build a strong case for yourself.

But please. Don't patronize me and others by assuming the type of people we may or may not be, and how we deal with our tickets. And stop lying to yourself if you feel you are morally just in fighting this ticket.

*Edit* Let me rephrase that last sentence. I should say "100% morally just" since morality is a subjective matter. My personal opinion is that just holding your phone (and not using it) is not much of a distraction. But legally that's a different story.

Last edited:
really? You have a WiFi hotspot following your car everywhere you go? Cool.
I have a BBz10, which I can make into a hotspot and then connect my ipod to it, once I connect my ipod i can use skype for phone calls etc.

Back
Top Bottom