When is it aceptable to start riding again | GTAMotorcycle.com

When is it aceptable to start riding again

congrats on your first bike. what you get? :cool:

if it's your first season i'd just say watch for the loose gravel and salt as snow melts until your comfortable with your bike.

right now "cabin fever" is setting in, as mentioned in another thread lol.

i ride when the salt is off the road. so no clear answer.

but that's me, i baby the bikes lol

i know riders that ride pretty much all year so long as snow is off roads.

enjoy, and safe riding friend.

I also wait until almost all the sand and salt is off the roads. Usually april rains wash the roads so that's when I get back on the road.

1st bike, wait for warm weather.

... and stay the heck away from big group rides. Meet-ups are good, though. I do foresee a good many Burrito Boyz Tuesday night meets again this year.

Just wait for the first south wood ride to be posted
lol

OP acceptable in terms of what? what others think? Safety? Posing options?

Don't worry about it, Ride when you are ready!

I heard these guys organized RoC type of events :cool:
[video=youtube;c4yTAeGxbsc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4yTAeGxbsc[/video]

You can ride today or wait for the rain to wash away the salt and the sand to be swept off the roads or any time in between. Entirely up to your comfort level.

By the looks of things, you have the bike but haven't looked into insurance yet.......
Before you think of when you can ride, you should make sure you can afford to ride.
Insurance could be up near the $3000-$4000/year mark for you being 18 and zero experience. Also that is prorated so if you plan on insuring it for just the summer and take it off during the winter you will still pay almost the full amount.

That being said, You first time on a bike I would wait until the salt is gone before you daily ride it, But the occasional rip when the roads are semi-clear won't hurt, just be careful about cold tires on cold pavement.

Go big or go home!
Go on assassin's ride
I have lost count of how many times people have over hipped rides in GTAM and when you go on them they are disappointing, I am not saying this one is as I have not attended one yet but I have heard the same thing over and over again.

Now there was this Ride to PA at the end of last year, those were some hooligan times, Very few will know what I am talking about fortunately :)

I'll try to wait until some rain comes, when the roads don't look WHITE from salt, and I'm sure temps aren't low enough for black ice. I'll probably wait until some decent weather (above 10) since I like to wash my bike up when I take it out of storage.

Last year was my first year riding and I couldn't wait to get the bike on the road! Sadly with work and life I wasn't able to start riding until April, but I'm thinking this year I might start up a little earlier. Maybe towards the end of March when the temps reach 5+ during the day.

I absolutely agree with everyone else about the sand on the road. Take it easy on the roads, dress warm, WEAR YOUR GEAR. Oh! And have fun!

for me its acceptable to ride once the sun melts the ice off the road.

Whenever you feel safe enough. I had one season where I rode at least once every month of the year. It depends on your area and how the roads are.

For example, out in Guelph area there are lots of open rural highways so the sun melts the ice/snow off the road quite often and the roads are usually dry enough to ride in December, January, February, etc. Now that I live in Toronto, the roads aren't clear of snow/ice enough for me to trust them all winter.

Back
Top Bottom