Litre bikes that redefined the class | GTAMotorcycle.com

Litre bikes that redefined the class

kwtoxman

A few other threads here got me thinking about benchmark litre sportbikes. You know, the ones that redefined the class over the years. Here are my fond memories with a list from the mid 80's time period to now. Interestingly all of these bikes were clean sheet designs, not the incremental changes/gains that the bikes in the class get most of the time.

1st was the 1986 Suzuki GSXR 1100. The bike completely redefined its class. It was much lighter than its competition and got the class to back to the roots of a light motorcycle. I found a reference noting the 1986 GSXR 1100 was lighter than every japanese competitor's 750 of that year. What a shot to the class from Suzuki.

2nd was the 1992 Honda Fireblade (CBR 900RR). Between 1986 and 1992 the GSXR gained something like 50-60 lbs. All litre bikes were heavy. But the new Fireblade was extreme. The most extreme mainstream Honda ever made generally available at a reasonable price in my opinion. No other Honda bike reshuffled its bike class deck like this one. It truly was a "light is right" designed bike. The 1992 fireblade was a euro model available in Canada, the model did not come to the US until 1993. And at that point it was called a CBR 900RR. This makes the 1992 Fireblade a very rare bike in North America. The bike itself was only 4 lbs heavier than the CBR 600F2. With the light weight the magazines loved it. Hell, if you rode it you loved it. There were quicker and faster bikes (and 50-90 lbs heavier), but around a racetrack the Fireblade was at least a couple seconds faster per lap. And the Fireblade was much more of a fun lightweight hooligan machine. The first of the real wheelie monsters. Again, light makes right.

3rd was the 1998 Yamaha R1. From 1992 to 1998 even the fireblade got heavier and bigger. It lost some edge. Yamaha took its turn to put the litre bike class on reset. Again a very strong design emphasis on light weight, with added power. The R1 was even lighter than the 1992 fireblade, with a bigger engine and more power. With a bit of a nod to Ducati in styling, its looks were unique and a massive hit on the market. It looked like to be a long reign. Beautiful bike.

4th was the 2001 Suzuki GSXR 1000. Interestingly the pace of improvement quickened with this bike coming out only a few years after the R1. It was even lighter than the R1 and it had notably more hp. 15-20 hp more. It was one of the biggest hp jumps on a light weight litre bike that the class had ever seen, and it was only a few years after the R1. This bike (generation) represented the last of the old school litre bikes imo. Traditionally litre bikes were stroked versions of their smaller brethren. This gave them big torque and big low rpm torque too. The GSXR 1000 was 9 lbs heavier than the 750 model.

Then there was a long gap. One of the longest waits in the class for redefinition. Power went up on various models in the class through those years but in small increments. Weights were not significantly changed, nor improved. Then a new standard hit town like a tornado.

5th was the 2010 BMW S1000RR. This bike redefined the litre bike class again. Light weight focus as a primary clean sheet design goal, and BMW went for the power juggernaut. This litrebike was designed like a bigger 600. It had a broad bore and short stroke. While torque and low rpm fun suffered, the high rpm power and limit were a new standard for the class. This bike again ended up with something around 20 hp more than any other bike in its class.

Since 2010, bikes are closer to the bmw in power (some more than others). But no big changes, yet. Soon hopefully.

It is interesting to see a cyclical nature in bike development, over and over again. Improvement/changes go bit by bit for a while, then wham, a manufacturer significantly ups the bar. Evolutionary then revolutionary. And these revolutionary changes come from a renewed focus on light weight as well as more horsepower.

Anyway, that is my trip down memory lane. What do others remember or think of in the litre bike class?

Last edited:
Gimme an orig 92 Blade all day long thanks....Still looks fantastic, even when parked next to a brand new bike.

3rd best looking Japanese sportbike ever built.

2011%5C11%5C04%5Cbikepics-2297198-full.jpg

Between 01 and 2010 I would say the 04 zx10r was a revolutionary bike and it was also a new platform to learn from for years that came after it. In a sense what the r1 did for the late 90's the zx10r did for the mid 2000's.

Brough Superior SS1000, left the factory able to do 100mph in 1930
Hesketh 1000, nobody was building a liter bike, at least not like his
Ducati 999, it was everything but affordable

To p!ss off Murf I am going to add the v60 Tuono as the first real supernaked based on a real superbike. I don't agree with the zx10r comment however.

Last edited:
The ZX10 was a defining bike for kawasaki but not so much the class itself. If you add the zx10 you would have to add the 05-06 gsxr 1000 too.

I think the list is pretty spot on.

I'd say the 2005 gsxr redefined the class again because it is still a desired bike for any purpose.

Last edited:
1998 R1 didn't redefine anything as it got beat by the 1999 GSXR750 a year later, which was basically a 1996 GSXR750 with fuel injection and a steering damper.

1998 R1 didn't redefine anything as it got beat by the 1999 GSXR750 a year later, which was basically a 1996 GSXR750 with fuel injection and a steering damper.

Wrong! Offsetting the transmission from the crank (stacking) shortened the engine lowered the centre of gravity. A giant step forward that continues today in every brand. Ground breaking doesnt mean who won what when. There are many things at play in a race win bigger than just a bike.

Wrong! Offsetting the transmission from the crank (stacking) shortened the engine lowered the centre of gravity. A giant step forward that continues today in every brand. Ground breaking doesnt mean who won what when. There are many things at play in a race win bigger than just a bike.

You can expect manufacturers to tweak things on the bikes a little here and there to improve certain "flaws" they have detected in the previous year(s) to improve things without starting an entirely new generation of production. It's common practice, for example the 2009 to 2014 GSXR1000 look the same basically but if you look carefully at the specs they may differ in certain things even though it's the same "generation". The 99 750 and 96 750 are from the same generation, with the same chassis, same fairings and aerodynamics. So Suzuki tweaked the engine a little, do you think that's an entirely different bike? It's still basically the same generation... The point is the 98 R1 didn't revolutionize anything if it was beat by a 750 from 3 years ago with some added tweaks

Ok your right redesigning how an engine is designed still used 15yrs later means nothing........sigh. I can see clearly now the gsxr is king. :-D Btw this is a thread about litre bikes. Just for shitsandgiggles i have seen many litre bikes beaten by 600s and in fact 250gp bikes. Includibg Suzukis.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

A 1999 GSXR750 in near-stock form should be making somewhere near 125 horsepower; a 1998 R1 should be making near 140 and with a lot more torque. They're not in the same class. This thread is about liter bikes. The 750 is not a liter bike. (By no means does that imply that it's "bad" ... far from it. But it's not a liter bike!)

Ok your right redesigning how an engine is designed still used 15yrs later means nothing........sigh. I can see clearly now the gsxr is king. :-D Btw this is a thread about litre bikes. Just for shitsandgiggles i have seen many litre bikes beaten by 600s and in fact 250gp bikes. Includibg Suzukis.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

I think you're missing the point, the 98 R1 didn't really do much more compared to other SS bikes of that era hence my statement "didn't redefine anything". I used the 99 GSXR 750 as an example since it won superbike of the year in 99 but looks the same like the 96 so it wasn't a new design; which trivializes any accomplishments Yamaha thought they had with the 98 R1. If the 98 R1 was something exceptional, it should've retained it's "crown" against a modified older bike if you want to call it that...

The 04 R1, 04 10R and the 05 GSXR1000 were all big leaps forward. Inverted forks with radial brakes, slipper clutches, light weight, etc, etc.

A 1999 GSXR750 in near-stock form should be making somewhere near 125 horsepower; a 1998 R1 should be making near 140 and with a lot more torque. They're not in the same class. This thread is about liter bikes. The 750 is not a liter bike. (By no means does that imply that it's "bad" ... far from it. But it's not a liter bike!)

And nowhere did I claim it was a litre bike! All I'm saying is if a litre bike that supposedly "redefined" litre bike history got ambushed by an older chassis with a smaller displacement engine then it didn't really "redefine anything"

Except that it did. The 98 R1 was absolutely THE BOSS for highsiding people to the moon... lol

Back
Top Bottom