Problems with Motorcycle Drag racing in Ontario | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Problems with Motorcycle Drag racing in Ontario

Motorcycle drag racing is based on car events because of a poor turn out and a lack of interests in drag racing bikes!! What I read in some of your comments guys... drag racing isnt about how many runs you do its how much fun did you have with friends ? Not only is it for the racing, its for the great times doing it. Been drag racing bike at TMP GBM ST.THOMAS for last 8 years and have met some of the best guys, great racing and always a great time... This sport is a point season race and most of us are at as many racing events as we can!!!SUPPORT. This is a family of drag racers that put their heart and time in, so we as racers will come and show support into their hard work of choice of the classes RACERS INPUT. Most racers race in bracket racing, dial in class.. Start showing that all this hard work that OSCA, DSE, NO BARS RACING, its up to motorcyclist to show they support the classes that are there!! All kinds of races going on.. You guys want more passes come out friday night and do your test & tune ( we get more passes then the car guys )then race all weekend!!!
Adrenaline junkies!!!!! Yes glenn we are all out to beat our best times, a grudge with a racer ( Joe ) LOL!!!! A summer of racing is a comment for sure!!!! I know I'm there racing #17 King of the street, 9.50 class, 8.88 No bar racing.

SHOW THAT THERE WILL BE THE SUPPORT FOR THE CLASSES WITH THE CHANCE OF A ALL BIKE WEEKEND!!! NEED THE #'S TO SHOW THAT THERE WILL BE A REASON TO HAVE A ALL BIKE WEEKEND EVENT!!!!!

Ok so in MY opinion....these are the classes I think would help kick start motorcycle drag racing and help the sport grow. I'm not gonna comment on bracket racing because I think theirs a lot of people here with more knowledge than me about that class of racing.

1- First motorcycle class would be a stock wheelbase entry level heads up class that would require you to run 10.50's all the way to as fast as 9.99.

2- Second would be a Limited mod class that would would require some small mods like lowering, extended swing-arms and exhausts. This class would require you to run 9.90's to as fast as 9.49.

3- Third class I think would be the most competitive and exciting class. This class would require a bit more advanced skill set and know how. You would have to run as fast as 8.60's to as slow as 9.00's, which any stock motor 1000's such as gsxr ,bmw, zx 10,hayabusa and zx14 can easily do with an experience rider on it.

4- Forth would be a 8.60's and faster our King of the street class we have right now.
All these classes would be HEADS UP classes on a Pro .400 tree which is the greatest equalizer.
This would be structured like any other sport, a chance to gradually progress into faster classes.

Here's another thought. Why do the classes have to be so quick? A majority of people in the 19-30 year range are on a bike that will run in the 12.0-11.0 in street trim. I love drag racing but I cannot afford two bikes therefore my daily, street, sunday funday bike has to do it all. A majority of the bikes that run sub 11sec are not practical for what I do.

I have a bike with basic modifications that would fit in the 2nd class above, and there is so far NO chance of me coming even remotely close to breaking 10 seconds. The bike should probably be able to do it but the rider is not there yet (LOL)

And the 1st class ought to be aimed at 600s for the simple reason that there are more of them. I've seen a skinny, light, but non-drag-race-experienced rider do low 11s on a 600 but most people are not there.

Great points hondaman and as for Brian I hear you im pretty sure if you asked any of us for help it wouldn't be a problem we have all been there

Great points hondaman and as for Brian we have all been there buddy all you gotta do is ask for some help and ill be the first one to give you a hand

I've been trying to post if this shows up ill type my 2cents for the 3rd
Time
The NHRA licensing practice is killing us! The IHRA lic is the way it should be! Three pass by yourself with track officials watching. And and signing off if the riders found competent! I know 1 of the two NHRA track has adopted this method! In hopes to keep Racing off the street which is the main reason the NHRA was started in the first place! When racing in the US a NHRA lic is amost in my mind but not here in Ontario !

Next a starter class. Stock wheelbase challenge 6 different indexes. Big Bore,1199-999cc Fi,999-749cc Fi with 1200-900cc carb, 600cc Fi, 899cc and smaller carb and last Harley-Davidson!
Each index would be 0.05 slower then the fastest pass in that index! This would give every rider a place to shine with whatever bike they have.

Add the No Bar's 9.99 class
Cycle Pro's 9.50 (NHDRO rules)
NoBar's crazy 8s( NHDRO rules )
Top the street bike off with The Black Cats KOTS
Q16 Bike/sled ,Pro Et vs Street et in the finals
just my thoughts. This format would allow for more laps. Entering in multi classes. And I think in would put fans in the stands and more bikes in the lanes! If we could only talk the tracks in trying this format for their bike days.

Last edited:
One of the best days I ever had at the track. Happened to be a CSCS day at Grand Bend and the strip was empty. We hot lapped for 4 hours straight I think we did over 20 passes. As for the racing it was good to because me (left) and my buddy (camera bike) were fairly evenly matched. It all came down to the 60ft.

Sure we all like watching fast bikes but when participating it comes down to being evenly matched.

Whatever happens I'll still come out when possible and support the sport because a bad day of bikes is better then a good day at work.

Also TMP needs to get their **** together. I've never had a bad day at Grand Bend or St Thomas. Those tracks staff put TMP to shame. The last drag event I attended was with my buddy at St Thomas for the Turkey Nationals(?). St. Thomas was over booked with cars but my buddy still managed 3 passes on his bike before the rain hit. Sure it could have been better but the staff were clearly trying their hardest to get as many vehicles through as safely and quickly as possible. I firmly believe if we would have been at TMP we probably wouldn't have even made one run.

When you drive 3-4+ hours it needs to be worth your while...

[video=youtube;iyxWWIw-zLg]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iyxWWIw-zLg[/video]

Last edited:
FWIW - I was down to St Thomas for test and tune twice this past summer. It was first time ever at the drag strip as a participant rather than spectator. I had a blast. Pulling up to the start from the staging lanes was the beginning of a huge rush. Both times I got in a good number of passes.

Everybody I met was helpful and eager.

I only managed 13.6 but had a hoot doing it (many thought that was reasonable for a Goldwing that was over 30 years old)

I'll likely be back a few more times with the wing but even after the first time I was considering something more realistic such as a 600 just as Brian P had mentioned.

Just my 2 cents......

Lots of comments from circuit guys. I'm wondering if they have tried drag racing or are making assumptions or speaking from experience. I used to think the same way. Then I tried it. Imagine my surprise when I realized I could head to the track after work on a Wednesday or Friday night, pay $20 and make passes all night. On a Wednesday you could do as many passes as you could handle, on a Friday, usually about 10. Then I rode home.

I'm hearing a lot of comparisons to track days. OK, so that's a set of tires, entry, oil change, transport (cause even as a newb you're not likely riding to and from the track), and a day off work. So that's what, $700 at the bottom end to start?

Not following how these bang for the buck comparisons add up in favor of circuit for those just starting out.

It costs a whole $20 to go for a ride and form an educated opinion. Why not give it a shot before forming an opinion.

Then there's the other thing. Show up a the strip and everyone knows what you can do instantly. It takes some balls to go out and learn in front of an audience I guess.

I think most of us were comparing a competition event as opposed to a test and tune night but all your points are valid either way.

I think most of us were comparing a competition event as opposed to a test and tune night but all your points are valid either way.

That's sort of the point I'm trying to make, lot of guys trying to run before they can walk, and all seem happy to assume it's easy. Love to see them try a simple test and tune, then express a slightly more informed opinion.

Ok so in MY opinion....these are the classes I think would help kick start motorcycle drag racing and help the sport grow. I'm not gonna comment on bracket racing because I think theirs a lot of people here with more knowledge than me about that class of racing.

1- First motorcycle class would be a stock wheelbase entry level heads up class that would require you to run 10.50's all the way to as fast as 9.99.

2- Second would be a Limited mod class that would would require some small mods like lowering, extended swing-arms and exhausts. This class would require you to run 9.90's to as fast as 9.49.

3- Third class I think would be the most competitive and exciting class. This class would require a bit more advanced skill set and know how. Yoou would have to run as fast as n8.60's to as slow as 9.00's, which any stock motor 1000's such as gsxr ,bmw, zx 10,hayabusa and zx14 can easily do with an experience rider on it.

4- Forth would be a 8.60's and faster our King of the street class we have right now.
All these class would be HEADS UP classes on a Pro .400 tree which is the greatest equalizer.
This would be structured like any other sport, a chance to gradually progress into faster classes.

Problem is some guys have there bikes dailed in ,like kanapaki would run super comp and top gas and win both classess race after race .i think he is one of the only gus that would make money,how could you compete with guys like this.but if you try pick a dail
run heads up pro tree 9.50 to 9.00 or 9.00 to8.50 and on and on .so lets say you enter9.00 to8.50 you want make sure your bike runs 8.50, first two riders in stage lanes pair off and pick a dail out of a pot from 9.00 to850 let say 8.75 thats there dail heads up pro tree more of a guessing so now evry one has a chance no boxes no delays on throttle stops everyone has a chance

Its funny how one ***** on a particular discipline when they realise its not that easy. Coming from road racing and drag racing they both have their challenges and costs are slighty different, but in competition it equals out. Why doesn't everyone just do what they like and stop being premadonnas. Leave that to Jeremy Teasley and Rossi.

As far as I can recall, Kellen has run a high 10 on an old carbed R6, with roadrace suspension and wheelbase and gearing.

As far as I can recall, Kellen has run a high 10 on an old carbed R6, with roadrace suspension and wheelbase and gearing.

Who cares. I have my SOAR racing license and do drag racing as well. Circuit racing is just too nutty for me, especially after watching 12 people wreck in one event and nearly getting destroyed myself by another guy who came into a corner too hot. I have to work for at least another 25 years, I don't need to get nearly killed by a weekend racer.

I have seen many circuit racing guys come over to the 1/4mile side and run over a second slower than the bike should go, so please quit bringing up who is better than who. As mentioned both have their challenges

Back
Top Bottom