Problems with Motorcycle Drag racing in Ontario | GTAMotorcycle.com

Problems with Motorcycle Drag racing in Ontario

Need to get this issue cleared up once and for all, and that's if you need an NHRA license to run at ALL NHRA sanctioned tracks in Ontario or the states for that matter. I'm sure it has hurt our attendance. If you go onto the NHRA website anyone running faster than a 9.99 on a NHRA sanctioned track with a motorcycle must have it.

Noob perspective follows. Not noob to riding, 20+ years roadracing, but noob to the dragstrip. If you want to grow this, I am in your target market. I have only ever done about three or four test-and-tune evenings - and none of them last year, because my roadrace bike ate up a lot of my time.

Licensing. I know how one is supposed to get a roadracing license. (Done it.) I know that for the drag strip, there is some seemingly-inconsistently-enforced threshold (that modern liter-plus bikes can somewhat easily get to with NO mods) and if you are faster than that, you either get kicked off or you are supposed to get a license. How? Where? When? There seems to be some sort of medical examination involved. For what? How do I explain what's needed to my family doctor without having him look at me as if my head is not on straight? (ok, some of that can't be helped ...)

Track time. The test-and-tunes are fine but the amount of time spent on track is paltry compared to what's available on the roadrace side.

At the moment, for ME, entering an actual competitive event is out of the question. Far too likely to be one run and done, and I ain't paying entry fees to do that.

I'd say honestly a lot of people don't have the stones to drag a fast bike. As for concerns in Ontario maybe they could have more locations for a strip. I know personally I wouldn't even entertain going that far for a run or two.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

I have ran faster than a 9.99 and I have been over 150mph without getting kicked off. I found the tracks are very lenient when it comes to bikes, but if you clearly can't ride they will probably kick you off for safety. It's different for cars though in most cases.

The problem for some is the drive as mentioned. I hate going to events where I drive over 200km's and only get 1-4 passes in. It's an absolute waste of time and money for me. If I was 20-30min away, I wouldn't care. On that note, I went to an OSCA event where the drag cars oiled the track causing 4 hours of down time. KILL ME!

I like having a variety of classes. Like 10.50 SWB.....10.0 SWB......9.50 street......9.00 killer street......8.50 street outlaw.....and then anything 8 and below unlimited. This allows more guys to try different classes.

I am sure this has been done before.

The problem is not enough serious racers that will commit to racing. I think motorcycle should have 1 sanctioning body in Ontario. Choose 2 races from DSE 2 races from OSCA 2 races from PBSS and another 2 races from St.thomas make them all a points race and in the end determine a grand champion. Just my 2 cents

Like that idea Joe.....But what classes would make the most sense? I myself could see a Street ET class, 9.50 class,8.88 class and and maybe a grudge bike class....Just ideas

You have to think about getting more riders interested long before you even consider what class they belong in.

Someone new to this (like myself) is very unlikely to be interested in any sort of weekend structure that results in "one and done" (and I'm not). And that "one and done" is not going to help them get better and stay interested.

Need to get thiI'extremee cleared up once and for all, and that's if you need an NHRA license to run at ALL NHRA sanctioned tracks in Ontario or the states for that matter. I'm sure it has hurt our attendance. If you go onto the NHRA website anyone running faster than a 9.99 on a NHRA sanctioned track with a motorcycle must have it.

This has been an on going problem for many years and has turned many people off. Personally , NHRA licencing requirements is out dated and over kill.
But trying to changes something at NHRA I'm sure would be incredible hard.
The tracks themselve are at fault for the extreme inconsistent way they handle licensing.

Dont think that the license is what turns people off drag racing I think its lack of commitment on racers part and its also an expensive sport.

Ok so in MY opinion....these are the classes I think would help kick start motorcycle drag racing and help the sport grow. I'm not gonna comment on bracket racing because I think theirs a lot of people here with more knowledge than me about that class of racing.

1- First motorcycle class would be a stock wheelbase entry level heads up class that would require you to run 10.50's all the way to as fast as 9.99.

2- Second would be a Limited mod class that would would require some small mods like lowering, extended swing-arms and exhausts. This class would require you to run 9.90's to as fast as 9.49.

3- Third class I think would be the most competitive and exciting class. This class would require a bit more advanced skill set and know how. You would have to run as fast as 8.60's to as slow as 9.00's, which any stock motor 1000's such as gsxr ,bmw, zx 10,hayabusa and zx14 can easily do with an experience rider on it.

4- Forth would be a 8.60's and faster our King of the street class we have right now.
All these classes would be HEADS UP classes on a Pro .400 tree which is the greatest equalizer.
This would be structured like any other sport, a chance to gradually progress into faster classes.

Last edited:
I used to drag race almost every weekend.

I have decided that drag racing is for fast machines.

Road racing is for fast drivers/riders.

The biggest problem with drag racing is 50 seconds of racing is a good day.

The biggest problem with drag racing is 50 seconds of racing is a good day.

And to haul a toy there for that a couple of hours each way for a few runs isn't worth it. I'm close to the gta and the closest track is Cayuga. If they would open one somewhere closer perhaps you'd get better crowds.

Sent from my SM-N900W8 using Tapatalk

There will always be that argument you get between road racers and drag racers. Bottom line is we are all motorcyclists and adrenaline junkies to some point. For someone who hasn't drag raced in competition won't understand the amount of mental concentration that is needed to go rounds. Once you have been fortunate to go a few rounds it gets very additive. Granted you might only get 4 passes in but to be get to the finals means you have been dialed in all day....you get beat you go home...No second chances

It would be amazing to combine the two, road race during the day and drag in the afternoon/night at tracks where this is possible. It's much easier to light up a drag strip than a road course and we'd already be there. I would definitely jump in on the drags then as well but it's far too much work to load up for just a few passes. The argument for track time isn't just between drag racing and road racing, we hear the same thing from track day guys. I think it's just people not wanting to commit and have the pressure to perform.

Here's another thought. Why do the classes have to be so quick? A majority of people in the 19-30 year range are on a bike that will run in the 12.0-11.0 in street trim. I love drag racing but I cannot afford two bikes therefore my daily, street, sunday funday bike has to do it all. A majority of the bikes that run sub 11sec are not practical for what I do.

Here's another thought. Why do the classes have to be so quick? A majority of people in the 19-30 year range are on a bike that will run in the 12.0-11.0 in street trim. I love drag racing but I cannot afford two bikes therefore my daily, street, sunday funday bike has to do it all. A majority of the bikes that run sub 11sec are not practical for what I do.
Excellent point

Back
Top Bottom