1986 FZ600 "Black Yamba" | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

1986 FZ600 "Black Yamba"

I got everything in tonight and all hooked up, took the proper steps to get the oil circulating before starting it up and then primed the carbs and fired it up! After adjusting the idle and the throttle freeplay she's running as smooth as I've ever seen her...and oh baby I can't wait for springtime!!

First ever rebuild is a success! Now to heat it and cool it a bit and recheck the torque on the head bolts, and wait for the snow to melt!

[video=youtube;oIbb-ezL3WA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oIbb-ezL3WA[/video]

Too bad your not closer, I could use a hand or 2, you are way further ahead of me, but I will catch up....

P1120195.jpg

Gatekeeper you're not that far just wish I could spare the time! Any questions just ask though...I've graduated from newbie to apprentice now... haha :D I like the all black frame, was considering doing that but it was a lot more work and I want to be ready for springtime!

Silverbullet - I do! There are holes drilled in the exhaust for some reason... in fact I just JB welded them up before I saw your post! See how that holds up....

Last edited:
I photoshopped it (didn't save it though) and I think I'm liking black.... My truck is the same way, all black... I love the stealth look, I can always paint rims later but I think they're going black. What's wrong with being twins?? lol Your's is older but mine's bigger. :D

For sure, go with the black. I'm ok with being twins as long as mine is the 'good looking twin'. Lol.

Your bike is older - by a year, and bigger. I'm curious to see how they will stack up against each other. 2T vs 4T. The age old debate rages on ... :)

Too bad your not closer, I could use a hand or 2, you are way further ahead of me, but I will catch up....

P1120195.jpg

Hey GK,

I'm waiting to see that FZ back on the road... Keep at it.

Nice ... congratulations! Looks like there are going to be a few freshened up Yamahas out next season.

I must be a mentor, I started off as an apprentice, moved forward to mechanic, and since this is my second rebuild, I can probably now be a mentor....LOL

This was my last go, at a restore...

before

P1060062.jpg

and after

P1090717.jpg

nothing like working on a 30 year old bike.....

gld to hear you got that exhaust leak fixed up, hopefully the JB Weld stuff holds up....

For sure, go with the black. I'm ok with being twins as long as mine is the 'good looking twin'. Lol.

Your bike is older - by a year, and bigger. I'm curious to see how they will stack up against each other. 2T vs 4T. The age old debate rages on ... :)

lol, d'oh, yeah, mine's older, you're older...whatever! hahaha :D Just being out on the bike is already a win for me! :D You have a little bit of experience on me so we'll see if I can keep up, I'm still learning how to ride! :D

Nice ... congratulations! Looks like there are going to be a few freshened up Yamahas out next season.

Thank you sir! Yamaha takeover!! :D

I must be a mentor, I started off as an apprentice, moved forward to mechanic, and since this is my second rebuild, I can probably now be a mentor....LOL

before

and after

gld to hear you got that exhaust leak fixed up, hopefully the JB Weld stuff holds up....

Nice, that turned out real good! I think I've seen that bike somewhere before...in your build thread or youtube maybe? JB weld did not hold up...blew out the second I started the bike. I'm thinking maybe it just needed longer to cure... I'll try it one more time and if it doesn't work I'll just get it welded up. Exhaust needs to come off so I can jack the bike up and remove the swingarm so I can install my new chain anyway, so perhaps I'll just get it welded then!

Believe me buddy, I'll be learning to ride all over. I think with your last riding season, you're one-up on me already.

before

P1060062.jpg

and after

P1090717.jpg

I split my frame down the middle and widened it by a few inches. What does that make me? Mechanic? Mentor? Stupid? No, that makes me a........hack!

GK - beautiful GS. I really like the look of it.

There is NOTHING like working on 30 year old bike - ok, I'm shy by a few years. Let's not hold it against me.

Leaning towards black but...****...gold looks good too! Could always change it up in the future though...

You know they're goin' black...but ****, gold would look good! lol

You know they're goin' black...but ****, gold would look good! lol

Next thing we know, you'll be getting gold teeth to match. Nooooo!

Keep it all black with some white accents - YAMAHA on the tank

Well they're at the powder coaters!

Got some nice fresh smelling rubber in today too! I see what you mean by sticky now... my old tires you could rub your thumb across them and they felt almost like plastic, the new tires, you rub your thumb and it actually has friction. I have a feeling it's going to be a night and day difference on these tires.

12307788514_f8e4708c5b_c.jpg
[/url

With your new rubber, your 'mistakes' will be a little more forgivable now.

Back
Top Bottom