Advice: Driving part way and then riding - what to do with vehicle? | GTAMotorcycle.com

Advice: Driving part way and then riding - what to do with vehicle?

I'm looking to do a week long trip into the US but want to bomb down in the car for the first 1000kms or so and then ride for a week and then drive back.

Has anybody done something like this and where did you park/leave the vehicle while away from it?

We trailered to the Gap and rode around for a few days, then trailered back. We used a motel as a home base and parked in their parking lot. We had a Trailer-In-A-Bag so we disassembled it and stuck it in the back of the truck so it was less obtrusive, but others just left their trailer on the lawn.

The Gap might be a special case because most of the motels are motorcycle/trailer friendly.

If you wanted to tour around for a few days and not stay in the motel, I'm sure they would let you park your vehicle/trailer in the parking lot for a day or two if you were coming back to stay with them before leaving. Lots of motels in the US have huge parking lots, it doesn't cost them anything to be nice to customers.

some Motels will provide a parking spot... the ones near airports are very aware of people wanting to leave a car for a week or so...

I have towed a couple bikes to Kingston, then parked truck and trailer. Hopped on bikes, rode the Adirondacks and Catskills, then loaded bikes and towed them home. CUt out the superslab boring part of the ride.....and the van didn't use any more fuel than 2 bikes would have going down the 401.

We've trailered to Napanee and parked at FLYING J . I believe there are quite a few in the states also. Just went to the fuel bar and asked the manager if it was ok first. Told him we'd buy some food and gas,which we did, and he said anytime. Any big truck stop would work. I have also been told that all Walmarts let RV's park over night if you let them know,but have never done that myself.This winter gets much worse and I swear i'd walk south to get to ride a bit. Good luck.

Im looking to drive down to the east end of the brp.
And then spend a week running down to the gap and surrounding area and then returning to the car and driving back

Pennsylvania and West Virginia have nice roads that you wouldn't want to miss.

I'm looking to do a week long trip into the US but want to bomb down in the car for the first 1000kms or so and then ride for a week and then drive back.

Has anybody done something like this and where did you park/leave the vehicle while away from it?

I've trailered my bike in the past to Florida, Colorado and Wyoming, each time I left the car/trailer at a local storage facility. The small price I was paying (usually $30-$50) was well worth the piece of mind to know that my car and trailer were relatively safe.

I've trailered my bike in the past to Florida, Colorado and Wyoming, each time I left the car/trailer at a local storage facility. The small price I was paying (usually $30-$50) was well worth the piece of mind to know that my car and trailer were relatively safe.

That's an interesting idea. I far prefer to have it in a somewhat secure location vs parking it at a gas stop. I'll have to look into that some more.

Done this many times. What I do is make arrangements with motel that I am leaving my truck and trailer there. The most I've had to pay ( esp in smokey mnts) is $10/night for "storage".

Get the smokey mountains "mad map". Day trips that you will adore.

I have soft luggage if anyone wants to borrow it.

I usually rely on my network of friends/relatives for parking space. Last winter I left my a bike in TN in Uhaul storage and a relatives house in NY. Will be building a small storage shed at a friends house in Washington DC for this year's storage.

I've done this a few times,
Most Harley dealers let you park for free.
We also taken a 30ft trail to Florida and parked it a a local marina....they charged like 5 bucks a day storage.
Or you can check with the local Uhaul.

While I was heading north in the opposite direction, I found two ways for a place to store my truck and trailer.

1/ Post a KIJIJI ad offering $10 a day to a farmer and found some takers
2/ Storage businesses came in about the same price.

Trailer your bike to Bristol, VA. Park your car/trailer @ Highland Self Storage, Eddy is the owner, his cell# 423-646-6460, office# 276-591-5901. Highland is located@ 14278 Lee Hwy, Bristol, VA 24202.
Eddy is great to deal with, if you are arriving there after hours, he will have detailed instructions for you where to park and combination lock #! All that can be arranged with him over the phone.
Please tell him Canadian riders with two trucks and trailers say Hi.
Highland is only 10 minutes from US 421 (The Snake), don't forget to ride Diamondback Loop ( 226, 226A, 80), before jumping on Blue Ridge Parkway!

Back
Top Bottom