Best dual sport or something along those lines? | Page 3 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best dual sport or something along those lines?

Based on the riding you're describing I still think you're better off with a dirt version of the DR as opposed to the SM version because if you're just casually commuting the larger wheels wont be as much of a hindrance on the road as the 17 inchers on the SM will be in the dirt. Of course YMMV.....

Like I said, that may be a better bike for me, but i dont like how that one looks. The SM looks great!

Like I said, that may be a better bike for me, but i dont like how that one looks. The SM looks great!

I agree the SM looks cool, but do you really need to look cool in the bush, or do you want to enjoy the experience.

It's of course not my place to say where/how you'll have fun with the money you spend on your toys, so, this weekend sounds like a wonderful to spend some of your money. :)

Let's get you that SM!

I agree the SM looks cool, but do you really need to look cool in the bush, or do you want to enjoy the experience.

It's of course not my place to say where/how you'll have fun with the money you spend on your toys, so, this weekend sounds like a wonderful to spend some of your money. :)

Let's get you that SM!

Exactly... and I will be on the street more then in the bush so yes the SM coolness factor for me plays into it! I am actually going to see one this weekend.

Don't, unless you're debt free.. You'll have to rationalize a luxury as a good idea otherwise.

Don't buy a second bike when you have said that you have a street bike, kids and can't afford to buy a second bike outright. This is of course assuming your situation is like mine and all the fun will be sucked out of it from all the "talking".

Don't buy a second bike when you have said that you have a street bike, kids and can't afford to buy a second bike outright. This is of course assuming your situation is like mine and all the fun will be sucked out of it from all the "talking".

Oh ya I know thats what i said.... I cant keep my R1 and buy a dirtbike as well... thats why I want a good dual purpose one

Oh ya I know thats what i said.... I cant keep my R1 and buy a dirtbike as well... thats why I want a good dual purpose one

Based on the amount of street riding you appear to intend to do, why not just keep the R1 and wait on the DS altogether? The R1 is way more fun on the street and based on the compromise you intend to take with the SM, all you're really getting is possible a smaller insurance bill. Seems like a huge compromise just for the possibility of going in the dirt rarely at best.....

Exactly... and I will be on the street more then in the bush so yes the SM coolness factor for me plays into it! I am actually going to see one this weekend.

What is the big look difference between the S and the SM? I thought it was just the wheels?

Based on the amount of street riding you appear to intend to do, why not just keep the R1 and wait on the DS altogether? The R1 is way more fun on the street and based on the compromise you intend to take with the SM, all you're really getting is possible a smaller insurance bill. Seems like a huge compromise just for the possibility of going in the dirt rarely at best.....

I definately will keep it if need be, as I do love it. Am I sick of paying insurance for a 1000 and I dont get to ride it as much as i would like to? absolutely!! I just got my kids dirt bikes and want to spend the weekends riding with them and being able to do that as a family thing, so thats more important then having an R1. So just to have the R1 to commute makes no sense, but I love commuting on my bike in the summer.

I did not mention any specifics really, but I did say it would be street for communting to work with the odd jaunts locally, but then on the weekends( and maybe not every weekend) would like to take my kids dirtbiking up to the ganny. I have a 2003 R1 now, but cant afford to buy another bike out right, so thats why i wanted a bike that looks good on the street ( drzsm) but could work the trails with some dirt tires.
I have not found a bike that I like looks wise for this purpose more then the drzsm. I know it may not be the most capable for what i want, but I do want a bike I can look at and enjoy it every day.

I was in your position a few years back. I dumped my Z1000 for the DRZsm. I rode it for a bit as an SM and started to venture offroad so I picked up some dual sport tires for my SM wheels. I found after that I was off the pavement more than on. I then found a dirt setup on Kijiji for $500. Once the Dirt setup went on the bike it never came off again. I kept my SM setup around for about a year after that just in case but ended up selling them.

Riding with my kids is much more rewarding than riding street. I get to ride a lot more often due to it being a family activity and we now spend our weekends at Sandaraska. I've since gotten into racing which is a hell of a lot more fun than street riding could ever be. I don't even ride street anymore. I couldn't be bothered with the BS associated with it. I've handed off the DRZ to my oldest son and the only reason I have the KTM blue-plated is because there are 2 enduros that require it.

The DRZ will do what you want it to do. Just don't expect it too much from it and you won't be disappointed. It won't hang with the sportbikes on our crappy roads nor will it fly like an MX bike. But it is an excellent city/commuter bike that you can have some fun with on the weekends.

pretty much yes, 17 inch wheels, big front brake and inverted forks with no accordion guards on them, so it does look somewhat different.

Thats about what I thought. I am partial to the DRZ and recommend the S. I personally wouldn't want to sacrifice anything in the dirt.

If the wheels are the issue, check this out Hooligan Mod.

I'm fairly confident you can change the fork protectors.

I was in your position a few years back. I dumped my Z1000 for the DRZsm. I rode it for a bit as an SM and started to venture offroad so I picked up some dual sport tires for my SM wheels. I found after that I was off the pavement more than on. I then found a dirt setup on Kijiji for $500. Once the Dirt setup went on the bike it never came off again. I kept my SM setup around for about a year after that just in case but ended up selling them.

Riding with my kids is much more rewarding than riding street. I get to ride a lot more often due to it being a family activity and we now spend our weekends at Sandaraska. I've since gotten into racing which is a hell of a lot more fun than street riding could ever be. I don't even ride street anymore. I couldn't be bothered with the BS associated with it. I've handed off the DRZ to my oldest son and the only reason I have the KTM blue-plated is because there are 2 enduros that require it.

The DRZ will do what you want it to do. Just don't expect it too much from it and you won't be disappointed. It won't hang with the sportbikes on our crappy roads nor will it fly like an MX bike. But it is an excellent city/commuter bike that you can have some fun with on the weekends.

See thats the thing... i dont expect it to be the best of each of those, but being capable is all i want. I travel along highway 7 to work everyday, so I dont need anything crazy, just something that will still have that " nice " look to it, and then on the weekends slap some dirt tires on it and ride with my kids.
We are all new to dirt biking, so I dont think I can even tell what would be good or bad, maybe after a year ya, but for at least this year I think the SM would be what im looking for.

I would like to know more about your racing, as that is something I may be into. I know im a newb, but want to do something bike related other than the track( too expensive), so maybe that would be a good route for me. You can always PM me.

Thats about what I thought. I am partial to the DRZ and recommend the S. I personally wouldn't want to sacrifice anything in the dirt.

If the wheels are the issue, check this out Hooligan Mod.

I'm fairly confident you can change the fork protectors.

That's a lot of messing around. If you buy the SM all you have to do is pick up a set of S wheels and bolt them on.

102_1983.jpg

Obviously I have a bit more done to mine but I never went back to SM.

See thats the thing... i dont expect it to be the best of each of those, but being capable is all i want. I travel along highway 7 to work everyday, so I dont need anything crazy, just something that will still have that " nice " look to it, and then on the weekends slap some dirt tires on it and ride with my kids.
We are all new to dirt biking, so I dont think I can even tell what would be good or bad, maybe after a year ya, but for at least this year I think the SM would be what im looking for.

I would like to know more about your racing, as that is something I may be into. I know im a newb, but want to do something bike related other than the track( too expensive), so maybe that would be a good route for me. You can always PM me.

I race mainly Enduros and Harescrambles with Offroad Ontario. Pretty laid back atmosphere. They have a beginner class (Novice C) and kids classes which usually run a shorter course or mini track. There are 11 races held in Ontario working towards a couple different championships. Entry fees aren't bad at $50 a race. (I think the kids classes are cheaper) There are 3 Enduros out of Gararaska. The Mini Pine (May 11), The Great Pine (Oct 5), and the OCMC club enduro (TBA).

There are usually a few DRZs kicking around at each of the races. The guys on them aren't the really competitive types and are usually just out to have a bit of fun.

Another option is the OCMC. Mostly local to Oshawa Stuff. They put off the Mini and Great Pine every year under the Offroad Ontario banner. They also hold various Harescrambles throughout the year. Some of them are just north of Oshawa by Raglan. From what I've seen they are a great bunch and good family atmosphere. Great place to start if your kids would like to try MX.

http://offroadontario.ca
http://www.ocmc-racing.ca

I got my SM for the same reason, the dr650 or the dual sport ones don't look that great. If you end up liking off road more, you can simply slap on some wheels. However, if you are only going off road with your kids, the Sm should be fine.

1172254_10151767159410860_1159438105_o.jpg

Any thing too steep, muddy, or sandy the sm will be stuck.

I had a KLX250 that was a blast to ride and could easily do your 30 km of highway. I got rid of it though because it was too uncomfortable for more than 2 hours of riding so I got a Vstrom instead.

Now I am thinking of getting a TW200 -- atv on 2-wheels, ugly as sin -- as a second bike just to take through mud and trail-less areas.

I would've said WR250R but they are scarce as hell to find! I guess they're so good everyone who has one doesn't want to let it go? I've been trying for a few months because I don't want to shell out $8,000 at a dealership. I've seen a few Suzuki DR-Z400S and 2 SM on Kijjiji

Sold my R1 today so now I will actively look. heck I may even buy a dirtbike for a couple grand and a older 600ss for another couple grand if i cant find the bike i need.
how are these though?http://ontario.kijiji.ca/c-cars-veh...upermoto-Street-Legal-BRAP-W0QQAdIdZ553162355

If I had a bike like a Drz Sm plated ( obviously) do I need anything else to go to the ganny?? my normal plate and insurance is fine right?

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom