Best dual sport or something along those lines? | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Best dual sport or something along those lines?

If you plan on riding singletrack don't even bother with any of the 600cc+ bikes.

Sure a 690 won't be exceptional in single track, and neither would a DR400, but both can do it for sure. Both are 300+ lb bikes although the KTM has much better suspenders, engine and trans.

There is no such thing as a perfect all round do everything well bike.

No offence - ugly sums it up = after all the Marines love it so gotta be fugly.

The upside is they are cheap, bulletproof, relatively light, and tend to sit at a price and not move much plus you can often get them really well tricked out. Grab one with lots of stickers from everywhere and strut at work. :D

It's gonna be more comfortable on the road than the 400s but the latter will be much better off road.

yup

The marines probably like them because they are likely using the very rare for military use only diesel-engine versions of the KLR. This is not a joke, they actually exist and are not allowed to be sold to the public once the bikes get too old. Not sure why diesel is so proprietary.

I don't like the KLR because it has carburetors and because of a part named the "doohickey" that people say breaks and/or isn't needed. Why even include it then?

I too have been considering getting a KTM EXC, but the maintenance is a bit scary I find, as well. The 690 Enduro R got onto my radar.

I might buy an EXC but I will need a pickup truck to go with it, otherwise my bike will be getting the motor rebuilt as often as I'm riding it from what I read.

Anybody out there have an EXC 350 or 500 and can chime in? Obviously if you're not beating on them they can go a lot longer than the "motorsports use" maintenance schedule.

IMO if off-road is what you want, listen to wudzrydr. If road (pave/gravel/dirt) then go ahead and get a 650 or something like that.

I too have been considering getting a KTM EXC, but the maintenance is a bit scary I find, as well. The 690 Enduro R got onto my radar.

I might buy an EXC but I will need a pickup truck to go with it, otherwise my bike will be getting the motor rebuilt as often as I'm riding it from what I read.

Anybody out there have an EXC 350 or 500 and can chime in? Obviously if you're not beating on them they can go a lot longer than the "motorsports use" maintenance schedule.

See i could have traded my bike for that KTM a couple months ago and then i started reading up, and the horror stories of maintanence for them scared me. I think if you dont beat up on them they are ok, but like i said i wanna ride street and dirt with it, so it will get alot of hours and that will definately raise the maintenence on it. With the DRZ however that thing needs very very little work done. The japs know whats up im tellin ya.

See i could have traded my bike for that KTM a couple months ago and then i started reading up, and the horror stories of maintanence for them scared me. I think if you dont beat up on them they are ok, but like i said i wanna ride street and dirt with it, so it will get alot of hours and that will definately raise the maintenence on it. With the DRZ however that thing needs very very little work done. The japs know whats up im tellin ya.

Yeah... I think you're right.

I don't think it's entirely accurate to state that the maintenance is a horror story. There are many many many EXC's out there that run forever, and yes you need to maintain them. Just like you'd need to maintain any race motor especially if used on the street.

The EXC would be way better in the woods, but of course really the wrong tool on the road. I think the biggest issue is that the EXC doesn't have a cush drive so it's hard on the powertrain when on pavement.

Riding all about compromises which have to include considering location, distances, terrain, etc etc etc.

I don't think it's entirely accurate to state that the maintenance is a horror story. There are many many many EXC's out there that run forever, and yes you need to maintain them. Just like you'd need to maintain any race motor especially if used on the street.

The EXC would be way better in the woods, but of course really the wrong tool on the road. I think the biggest issue is that the EXC doesn't have a cush drive so it's hard on the powertrain when on pavement.

Riding all about compromises which have to include considering location, distances, terrain, etc etc etc.

Completely agree. With me though it would be more street then dirt im sure, so that bike wouldnt be the best option for me as it is a dirtbike first and foremost. The KLR would be great, but too ugly for my liking. Unless I can find a deal on an Aprillia supermoto, then I think the DRZsm is what im gonna pull the trigger on.

Completely agree. With me though it would be more street then dirt im sure, so that bike wouldnt be the best option for me as it is a dirtbike first and foremost. The KLR would be great, but too ugly for my liking. Unless I can find a deal on an Aprillia supermoto, then I think the DRZsm is what im gonna pull the trigger on.

Yeah, I'm a good 45 minutes or so from anywhere half legal to ride I imagine.

If you're gonna ride in the dirt I would recommend against the SM, just get a dirt version of the DR because it will have the bigger front wheel and the suspension will be a bit more forgiving in the dirt. You can then get a good set of DS tires and have as good as you can get for both worlds.

If you're going to stay stock and want cheap the DR is probably you're best bet. If you are the type to mod you can spend large on a DR, so just skip ahead and get a KTM 690R. No matter what you spend on the DR, you'll simply never get the engine/chassis/suspsension/gearbox that the Katoom has right out of the box. You have to be quick but used 690's do pop up now and again in the 7-9K range.

Cheers.

I don't like the KLR because it has carburetors and because of a part named the "doohickey" that people say breaks and/or isn't needed. Why even include it then?

Doohickey is just earlier models afaik - it's just preventative.

Carbs are fine.....better that than a boatload of electronics to break. KISS is good.

Sure a 690 won't be exceptional in single track, and neither would a DR400, but both can do it for sure. Both are 300+ lb bikes although the KTM has much better suspenders, engine and trans.

The 690 would be a huge frustrating pig in the singletrack. With the tall road gearing and the heavy weight you'd spend the whole time in first gear trying not to turn the throttle past 1/16th so you don't end up in a tree. You wouldn't get the thing up to enough of a speed to need the benefits of the better suspension.

The 690 would be a huge frustrating pig in the singletrack. With the tall road gearing and the heavy weight you'd spend the whole time in first gear trying not to turn the throttle past 1/16th so you don't end up in a tree. You wouldn't get the thing up to enough of a speed to need the benefits of the better suspension.

Since it weighs the same as the DR it's no more of a pig than the DR. You can lower the gearing if you wanted which would negate that issue. And good suspension works at all speeds, not just at speed. To much power? Surely you jest.......

Since it weighs the same as the DR it's no more of a pig than the DR. You can lower the gearing if you wanted which would negate that issue. And good suspension works at all speeds, not just at speed. To much power? Surely you jest.......

You obviously don't ride singletrack.

Do you own a 690 or do you just look at magazine articles?

You obviously don't ride singletrack.

Do you own a 690 or do you just look at magazine articles?

I have run many many many 100's of kms of single track. It's probably my favorite type of dirt riding.

It would seem to me that you have incorrectly concluded that I'm saying the 690 is a good single track bike which is not what I've said.

What I have been saying is that if the OP wants a good DS, and is considering the DR, that unless he's looking for a bargain, and doesn't intend to mod it, that a 690 would be the better bike as opposed to buying the DR and trying to mod the heck out of it. And if one had to single track a 300+ pound DS of which both the DR and the 690 are, then why not take the bike with a better chassis, suspenders, trans and motor.

Furthermore, I don't think the OP even mentioned single track in which case my comments, and yours, on the subject are moot.

Anyways, as you were..

Last edited:
The op didn't mention any specific type of riding. Which is why I said that if he was thinking of riding singletrack to stay away from the 600cc+ bikes. The 690 is included.

I do agree that modding a DRZ is a waste. A spare set of wheels and some crash protection is all that is needed on those bikes. They are a cheap entry-level dual sport and are best used to find out what type of riding you want to do. More woods? Go for an EXC type bike. More street/gravel? Lean towards the 600cc+ class.

Spending close to 10k on a bike when you aren't even sure what type of riding you want to do wouldn't be a wise move. You can grab an older DRZ for a couple grand. And as long as you don't kill it can get most of it back when selling. The SM model is a good entry level SM and you can pick up dirt wheels a lot cheaper than SM wheels to have some fun offroad. The SM model also sits about an inch lower than it's S counterpart which helps inexperienced/shorter offroad riders.

The WR250R is also a good choice. But due to fact it is a fairly new bike you won't find them for as cheap and you'll get more of a resale hit a year or two later.

Last edited:
The op didn't mention any specific type of riding. Which is why I said that if he was thinking of riding singletrack to stay away from the 600cc+ bikes. The 690 is included.

I do agree that modding a DRZ is a waste. A spare set of wheels and some crash protection is all that is needed on those bikes. They are a cheap entry-level dual sport and are best used to find out what type of riding you want to do. More woods? Go for an EXC type bike. More street/gravel? Lean towards the 600cc+ class.

Spending close to 10k on a bike when you aren't even sure what type of riding you want to do wouldn't be a wise move. You can grab an older DRZ for a couple grand. And as long as you don't kill it can get most of it back when selling. The SM model is a good entry level SM and you can pick up dirt wheels a lot cheaper than SM wheels to have some fun offroad. The SM model also sits about an inch lower than it's S counterpart which helps inexperienced/shorter offroad riders.

The WR250R is also a good choice. But due to fact it is a fairly new bike you won't find them for as cheap and you'll get more of a resale hit a year or two later.

I did not mention any specifics really, but I did say it would be street for communting to work with the odd jaunts locally, but then on the weekends( and maybe not every weekend) would like to take my kids dirtbiking up to the ganny. I have a 2003 R1 now, but cant afford to buy another bike out right, so thats why i wanted a bike that looks good on the street ( drzsm) but could work the trails with some dirt tires.
I have not found a bike that I like looks wise for this purpose more then the drzsm. I know it may not be the most capable for what i want, but I do want a bike I can look at and enjoy it every day.

I did not mention any specifics really, but I did say it would be street for communting to work with the odd jaunts locally, but then on the weekends( and maybe not every weekend) would like to take my kids dirtbiking up to the ganny. I have a 2003 R1 now, but cant afford to buy another bike out right, so thats why i wanted a bike that looks good on the street ( drzsm) but could work the trails with some dirt tires.
I have not found a bike that I like looks wise for this purpose more then the drzsm. I know it may not be the most capable for what i want, but I do want a bike I can look at and enjoy it every day.

Based on the riding you're describing I still think you're better off with a dirt version of the DR as opposed to the SM version because if you're just casually commuting the larger wheels wont be as much of a hindrance on the road as the 17 inchers on the SM will be in the dirt. Of course YMMV.....

Back
Top Bottom