The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread | Page 43 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread

Your loss - do you buy bikes to resell them or to ride them . There is a Vstrom out there with 371,000 MILES on it - never opened the motor and uses no oil.
There are Sts out there with hundreds of thousands of miles on them and mechnically sound for twice that.

http://www.st1300.us.com/showthread.php?t=485

I bought my Vstrom with 93,000 km on it and expect to double that. There are riders on this board with higher mileage.

Its all about maintenance. That tourer could keep a rider going for 10 more years in comfort with just basic maintenance and tires.

This "low mileage myth " that pervades the GTA is crap. I could really care less what you would pay. The thread is about good value and both are.

Ditto that.

I for one love ST's and almost bought one before I decided on giving big bore sport tourers a try. I'd even consider this if I wasn't looking more in the ADV direction for next season. I do see one in my near future, however. Maybe even as a 2nd bike for long road days next summer, when not looking for dirt.

Interesting that in the ST realm, bikes with 75K are considered "low mileage."

No use trying to convert the doubters, Mac. The only umbridge I take is when perfectly good bikes are written off as "worthless" or of "zero value" by people who have no first hand experience with riding the long-tail. It's like saying a new Ikea piece of furniture is better than some dusty antique that's still solid after surviving 100+ years and a dozen families.

But, it's a regional thing. The GTA has lots of money, lots of turnover of people coming into and leaving the sport, massive inventory and competitive prices. Owners here are spoiled. I've been in the interior of BC for the last 3 weeks and the place is thick with tourers and ADV riders. Pretty much every one of them that I've talked to have passed the highwater mark and many are well into the 100's...

Last edited:
I for one love ST's and almost bought one before I decided on giving big bore sport tourers a try.
1300cc isn't big? That's more than 10x the size of my engine!

Honestly MacDoc, these bikes may be great and all but no one will buy one with 160,000km on it.
It has almost zero resale value. Ditto for a V-Strom 650 with 72,000km Knowing that, I would never pay anywhere close to those asking prices even if I were certain they are in perfect mechanical condition.

Your loss - do you buy bikes to resell them or to ride them . There is a Vstrom out there with 371,000 MILES on it - never opened the motor and uses no oil.
There are Sts out there with hundreds of thousands of miles on them and mechnically sound for twice that.

MacDoc the point DemonPig is making, is that in the GTA those bikes listed have little value left to them. They may be great bikes, but not worth the asking price. So in the context of this thread "Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale" they are not too attractive.

"I could really care less what you would pay. The thread is about good value and both are." In your opinion.....

In MY opinion the ST1300 is not worth $3500. 12 years old and 160,000KM. Regardless of your opinion, both heavily affect depreciation.

Also I highly doubt giving anecdotal evidence from various forums is going to change the mentality of many people in the GTA. I do applaud your effort though.

Last edited:
I know people that wouldn't even call that a good deal for a car.

It's big bore sport tourers actually...

Less about the engine and more about the category.
Oh I see. I was missing the main point of the post, I guess. :)

.... I could really care less what you would pay. The thread is about good value and both are.

Nothing that you posted so far is good value, considering the market we live in. Whether they are good or bad bikes is a different story and neither here nor there. You don't like that higher mileage motorcycles get discarded and overlooked by majority. I understand and agree.
However, as mentioned above by Chasem, you have completely missed the point I was making. Make an attempt at comprehending what you are replying to next time.

Why don't you post a thread about how it's going to rain in 2 days? Seems to be your strong side.

Hard to find a value on my bike; any suggestions? 98 triumph trophy 1200, 68k, mint shape and stock except for a corbin seat

I bought my current ride, a 1990 BMW K100 LT in 2012.
It had only 50,000 KM on it. It was an ex Toronto Police bike the previous owner had picked up at the auction and had been sitting in his garage for most of that time.
I paid $2500 for it.
It required a little restoration and TLC but it was sound mechanically.
If anything should happen to it I know the insurance company would pay me next to nothing, so I am only insured for personal liability.

The fz also has a salvage title not good for much but parts.

Sent from a device using a program

The fz also has a salvage title not good for much but parts.

Sent from a device using a program

My bad, didn't notice that at all.
Then again with all I hear about the suspension, maybe I should buy it and track it. Lol

Back
Top Bottom