The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread | Page 143 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread

Ok guys, I hope I can get your collective opinion.

Couple months back I bought my brand new 2017 R3 ABS from Yamaha directly. I done just 1k so far and just did my first service at Yamaha.

Now, there is someone selling an 06 R6 with just over 10k for sale. They want something smaller like my R3 and are willing to do a straight swap or maybe a bit of money going to me. Their bike as they say is in immaculate condition, they are ok with me taking it into a shop for inspection, and only has some normal mods (slip on, commander, dampener).

Out the door I paid 6500 for my R3... Is this trade a decent deal? If not how much over should I ask for on top?

Is the R3 your first bike in your riding career ?

I can understand your excitement at the chance to own an SS. Why so soon after only putting 1000km on a brand new R3?

An ‘06 R6 with just over 10000km? Those two just don’t go together. How confident are you that the seller is being honest about the mileage? Has the bike been tracked? You could be buying a whole lot of problems. Mechanics can only check so much without tearing into a bike.

Are you good at fixing things and don’t mind not riding while the bike is down for repairs/maintenance? Things you need to consider when owning an older bike. There’s not much going to go wrong with a brand new R3.

If you want opinions on the value of the R6, post up some good quality pics.

Personally I would keep the R3 and get riding that thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1

Personally, I prefer to buy 3-4 year old bikes with low kms. Always had good experience so far.

Also, R6/R1 SS both have a very aggressive riding position, which gets tiring super quick (IME, after a 30 min ride), especially during day-day commuting. Best to know what you're getting into.

Let's see, m2 in may 2018. Bought new R3 in may 2018. In August 2018 with only 1000km on R3 wants to trade for 06 r6.
1) Stay on the R3, put some actual ride time on it. (1000km is a Saturday ride for many of us) Use it for what its meant for, learning.
2) Trade the new R3 for an old r6 and pay likely 5x the insurance to have an r6 sit in the garage for only the occasional ride.
Whole thing seems like a no brainer to me.

Sent from my SM-A500W using Tapatalk

Is the R3 your first bike in your riding career ?

+1

Personally, I prefer to buy 3-4 year old bikes with low kms. Always had good experience so far.

Also, R6/R1 SS both have a very aggressive riding position, which gets tiring super quick (IME, after a 30 min ride), especially during day-day commuting. Best to know what you're getting into.
I don't think ergos are a concern when you ride 1000km in 4 months. 30 minute rides sounds about right.

I don't think ergos are a concern when you ride 1000km in 4 months. 30 minute rides sounds about right.

Lol I suspected it's a new rider. Terrible idea to hop on a SS so soon. To each their own

Going to look at this bike tomorrow. Looks like a great deal. Clean track bike! If everything looks good, I'll probably offer full $2500. Anything specific to look for on a track bike than a SS street bike?
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes...ke/1371667012?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

here you go. this one doesn't look like it was ridden hard and put away wet. for a novice or intermediate td rider, the sv650 may be a better tool for a season or two. and if you decide to go racing there are classes for this bike to compete in https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/ottawa/suzuki-sv-650-track-bike-excellent-condition/1366269583

EDIT-the more I look at this sv650 the more I like. lots of nice details, wave rotors look new, the bike looks new it has been so well cared for. even the chain looks new. $2695 awesome. turn key.

Last edited:
You guys are right about almost all points. This season I was so busy I barely got any ride time in, plus don't really have anyone to ride with anyway, all my buddies ride cruisers or SS.

My reasons for wanting to upgrade (or downgrade) are mostly based on inexperience haha
1- I assumed it might be a good deal, especially when it's a trade, versus me selling this sperate then buy another bike separately. Plus the inspection and such was gonna alleviate some of my fears
2- seeing the kilometers screamed track bike to me, which is still possible, however the owner is a girl and says bike is too much for her, hence why she wants to trade down to a R3. So I don't know...
3- R3 is very fun bike, but the pick up and go isn't that crazy since I'm coming from a background of pretty fast sports cars, it's also very light and wind really bucks it on the highway. Top end speed and acceleration on highway speeds is also lacking.
4- don't laugh, but I hate how I have to switch 84 gears just to get to normal everyday traffic speeds. With a 600 I know I can be in the few couple gears and not have to constantly switch up and down continuously.

So yah your points are valid, regardless of SS or R3, this season is almost done, and not like having an SS suddenly gives me more free time to ride or comes with its own riding buddies to help me put miles on the bike haha.

So I might buy some appearance stuff for the R3 (fender eliminator kits etc) plus a toce exhaust system and call it a day for this season. Insurance is a factor and as you guys alluded to, paying bunch more to barely ride isn't the wisest decision.

Thank you guys for setting me straight.
Cheers

You guys are right about almost all points. This season I was so busy I barely got any ride time in, plus don't really have anyone to ride with anyway, all my buddies ride cruisers or SS.

My reasons for wanting to upgrade (or downgrade) are mostly based on inexperience haha
1- I assumed it might be a good deal, especially when it's a trade, versus me selling this sperate then buy another bike separately. Plus the inspection and such was gonna alleviate some of my fears
2- seeing the kilometers screamed track bike to me, which is still possible, however the owner is a girl and says bike is too much for her, hence why she wants to trade down to a R3. So I don't know...
3- R3 is very fun bike, but the pick up and go isn't that crazy since I'm coming from a background of pretty fast sports cars, it's also very light and wind really bucks it on the highway. Top end speed and acceleration on highway speeds is also lacking.
4- don't laugh, but I hate how I have to switch 84 gears just to get to normal everyday traffic speeds. With a 600 I know I can be in the few couple gears and not have to constantly switch up and down continuously.

So yah your points are valid, regardless of SS or R3, this season is almost done, and not like having an SS suddenly gives me more free time to ride or comes with its own riding buddies to help me put miles on the bike haha.

So I might buy some appearance stuff for the R3 (fender eliminator kits etc) plus a toce exhaust system and call it a day for this season. Insurance is a factor and as you guys alluded to, paying bunch more to barely ride isn't the wisest decision.

Cheers
Great! Good call IMO. I don't think it matters what you or your buddies ride. It's about having fun and learning at the same time. In a season or 2, maybe explore upgrading to a naked 650. Can easily keep up with 600cc SS at legal city and highway speeds, and cheap on insurance. It's what I did for several years before hopping on a SS.

Cheers

3- R3 is very fun bike, but the pick up and go isn't that crazy since I'm coming from a background of pretty fast sports cars, it's also very light and wind really bucks it on the highway. Top end speed and acceleration on highway speeds is also lacking -
4- don't laugh, but I hate how I have to switch 84 gears just to get to normal everyday traffic speeds. With a 600 I know I can be in the few couple gears and not have to constantly switch up and down continuously-

Sometimes poor suspension set up can make a bike feel flighty and light at speed. It is not too difficult to set up the stock suspension- its fairly simple and will help ensure you are getting the most out of your bikes suspension. It can change the way the bike handles and feels. Here is ari henning demonstrating how to set up suspension sag (MC garage).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZtzTyCKh5fY

if you aren't doing clutchless upshifts, learn how; ari probably has a video for that too lol. It makes rowing through the gears almost effortless, and isn't hard to learn.

Last edited:

Cheers

Throw on an R6 throttle tube, like $20 on ebay and gets rid of all the dead play area in the throttle so you can get on the jam quicker.

I had an R3 and it gets up to 140 without any effort, you shouldn't need much else while you`re learning.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-touri...0f/1314317851?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

2008 GSX650F for $3000

$_59.JPG

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-crui...go/1373346648?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

"Selling my Little 1988 Virago 250 for $600. I don't know much of her history. I have owned it from 2001 ( I think). Has been parked for several years. The bike was used 7 years ago by my daughter to learn to ride and get her license.

Not sure of real mileage. We rebuilt the engine. Put a lot of time in it. Needs a battery. Good bike for a mechanically inclined person. Selling as I'm just not riding these days."

I bought a Ninja 400 in June and has ridden 2800km. I'm now drooling over the larger bikes. I think I'm in a similar situation to you. My car accelerates faster than the bike.

I went to FAST phase one and rode their R6 and ZX6-R. I wouldn't want to own a sport bike unless I do track days all the time. The ergo is so bad I don't want to ever ride either of them on highway.
I'd recommend you save the money from mods and spend them on track days.

Finally got to see the Kirkland Lake FZ6 that I've been talking about here, with the side cover and headlight damage and stuff. Asking $2200. He brought the bike to Markham again, met him there and it was meh, sun damaged paint and badly needed a new chain, which he protested by showing me that the slack was adjusted out where you normally check it, but the chain came an inch off the rear sprocket when pulled.... long overdue. Adjust a chain out all you want, when its worn its worn.

Said $2000 was my top dollar and he couldn't do it, he countered $2100 so I left without it. Certainly not the "excellent condition" its advertised as in the ad.

Back to Timmins it goes. Lol.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom