The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread | Page 50 | GTAMotorcycle.com

The Reasonably Priced Used Motorcycles for Sale Thread

Is there something wrong with this motorcycle? After 1.5k views and a listing since March 2016...

I'm looking for a Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS as a starter bike. Finished the training with RTI in August last year, and ready to get riding this year.

Best I got from a dealer was $5.3k for a 2014 Ninja 300 SE ABS.
I've contacted him when the Ad came up. Seems like he wasn't rushing it to sell / busy with school or something...

Is there something wrong with this motorcycle? After 1.5k views and a listing since March 2016...

I'm looking for a Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS as a starter bike. Finished the training with RTI in August last year, and ready to get riding this year.

Best I got from a dealer was $5.3k for a 2014 Ninja 300 SE ABS.

If you're looking for something in that price range, why not going with a nice used CBR500R ... one on Kijiji:

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-sport-bikes/...le/1155665819?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

I called my insurance company (The Personal) about that MC17 and they told me that even though it's only 50 hp their underwriter considers it a super sport and they would not be able to insure it.

This was based off the VIN.

I called my insurance company (The Personal) about that MC17 and they told me that even though it's only 50 hp their underwriter considers it a super sport and they would not be able to insure it.

If that bike makes 50hp (or has a titanium header for that matter) I will eat my hat. The most inline-4 CBR250's ever made was 45hp at the crank (supposedly) and later versions were restricted to 40hp. Most other insurance companies will insure grey market sport bikes so shop around if you want it. Parts aren't that bad to get if you go on ebay or wemoto.com. I bet he bumped up the price due to serious lowball offers. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $1500 if it's not running.

If that bike makes 50hp (or has a titanium header for that matter) I will eat my hat. The most inline-4 CBR250's ever made was 45hp at the crank (supposedly) and later versions were restricted to 40hp. Most other insurance companies will insure grey market sport bikes so shop around if you want it. Parts aren't that bad to get if you go on ebay or wemoto.com. I bet he bumped up the price due to serious lowball offers. Personally, I wouldn't pay more than $1500 if it's not running.
The Personal will insure grey market. Just not if their silly underwriter calls it a super sport.

I was just going by the info I found online stating 50 hp.

I had the same issue with The Personal a few years back. They gave me a good quote for a Z1000, but told me "I don't know anything about motorcycles, but the Ninja 1000 is a super sport and we don't insure super sports". I said "you're right, you don't know anything about motorcycles", and took them to Kawi's web site where it was clearly listed under "Street/Touring". It took a week of negotiating through 3 levels of their bureaucracy, but in the end they made a "special exception". I think they didn't want to loose my bike and our 2 cars.

The Personal prices are generally pretty good, so its worth negotiating if you can. Maybe you can get them to classify it as vintage or something like that.

I had the same issue with The Personal a few years back. They gave me a good quote for a Z1000, but told me "I don't know anything about motorcycles, but the Ninja 1000 is a super sport and we don't insure super sports". I said "you're right, you don't know anything about motorcycles", and took them to Kawi's web site where it was clearly listed under "Street/Touring". It took a week of negotiating through 3 levels of their bureaucracy, but in the end they made a "special exception". I think they didn't want to loose my bike and our 2 cars.

The Personal prices are generally pretty good, so its worth negotiating if you can. Maybe you can get them to classify it as vintage or something like that.
I had a similar issue when I had my 650R. They first tried to tell me anything with the name Ninja in it is a supersport and they don't cover it. Had to get the quote by VIN instead. I learned to call it an "ex650" from then on.

The guy on the phone was also surprised about the MC17 and said he tried to negotiate with the underwriter and then tried to get an exception for me but they wouldn't budge. Probably for the best, anyway, as I don't have space for all these vehicles.

I had a similar issue when I had my 650R. They first tried to tell me anything with the name Ninja in it is a supersport and they don't cover it. Had to get the quote by VIN instead. I learned to call it an "ex650" from then on.

The guy on the phone was also surprised about the MC17 and said he tried to negotiate with the underwriter and then tried to get an exception for me but they wouldn't budge. Probably for the best, anyway, as I don't have space for all these vehicles.

It will be 30 years old next year. That's vintage insurance and "sport bike" blacklisting shouldn't apply, right? I'm sure in 15 years when a lot of 150hp liter bikes are considered vintage they will still find a way to screw owners around on premiums. They will come up with "blacklisted vintage bikes" or some bs like that.

It will be 30 years old next year. That's vintage insurance and "sport bike" blacklisting shouldn't apply, right? I'm sure in 15 years when a lot of 150hp liter bikes are considered vintage they will still find a way to screw owners around on premiums. They will come up with "blacklisted vintage bikes" or some bs like that.
Pretty sure I heard a bunch of companies already got rid of the 15+ year old exception. To get vintage rates you generally need to go with a company that specializes in vintage. Even my 944 is insured like a regular car because I need a garage to qualify for classic insurance.

Pretty sure I heard a bunch of companies already got rid of the 15+ year old exception. To get vintage rates you generally need to go with a company that specializes in vintage. Even my 944 is insured like a regular car because I need a garage to qualify for classic insurance.

I called my insurance and asked to get a quote by vin on the mc17. They had so many clauses for them to insure it. 1. M for at least 6 years. 2. 5 Star with the company. 3. over 30 years old. 4. No tickets (I have 1 minor infraction).

The issue with the CBR250RR, is that yes it probably needs the carbs cleaned. But it will also need new o rings, and probably an overhaul.

good luck finding parts for them anymore.

I have a hard enough time finding Bandit 400 stuff, and they were actually imported to Canada for 4 years vs the CBRs 1 year.

That being said...great little bikes. I road a CBR250RR and 400RR in England around Donington Park....pretty fun.

I bought a non-runner mutt grey market MC19 CBR250R that "probably needed carb cleaning" a few years ago. It was a bit more involved than that but I did get it running and on the track. YMMV. More details here;

http://cbr250.com/forums/project-bikes/10333-mc19-track-bike-project.html

That web site is a great source of info. Lots of parts like sprockets, brake parts, valve shims etc. were used on other Honda models. I avoid the leper treatment from the local Honda dealer/hardware store by enquiring by part number, not model number. I'm not riding mine this year until I replace the head gasket, I sourced an OEM one from Aus.

I had track bike in mind when I bought it and it has turned out to be a lot of fun on the track. I don't think it would be as much fun on the street, the powerband is peaky like a 2 stroke. Current small bore offerings would be much easier to live with and make similar horsepower and more torque.

Those i4 screamers sound amazing though. I kinda want an FZR250, in black & gold.

Q0J7YHV.jpg

Which modern 250 has over 40 hp?

And I ride my 2 stroke on the street almost daily. :)

Back
Top Bottom