Guys, stop speeding. | Page 2 | GTAMotorcycle.com

Guys, stop speeding.

Allot of the time even if they get into an accident they still think it's not their fault why would they change their attitudes or habits. A huge number of people won't or can't admit they are wrong these days

Not that I necessarily disagree but which driver in this ad do you think was in the wrong?

While the point of the ad is to say "slow down" (which is ok) it's basically a propaganda campaign that says 'it's always the speeder's fault even if you do something stupid' (not ok). To be clear: both driver's were in the wrong.

An object moving towards us does not look as if it is moving as fast as it really is. The driver turning would have seen the speeding car as far enough away for him to turn out based on his perception and assumption that the other car is travelling at the speed he expects it to be at. Not realizing the car is actually approaching faster than he anticipated. Many cars have been hit trying to go through railway crossings as a train is approaching because they think the train is further away than it really is. Our brains play tricks on us when an object is approaching us from a distance it looks slower. Look at a jet airplane in the sky approaching you and it looks like it is moving really slow but in fact it is travelling towards you at up to 500 MPH

While the point of the ad is to say "slow down" (which is ok) it's basically a propaganda campaign that says 'it's always the speeder's fault even if you do something stupid' (not ok).

I would hope that you're in the minority if you think the video suggests that it is always the speeder's fault.

Not that I necessarily disagree but which driver in this ad do you think was in the wrong?

While the point of the ad is to say "slow down" (which is ok) it's basically a propaganda campaign that says 'it's always the speeder's fault even if you do something stupid' (not ok). To be clear: both driver's were in the wrong.

Yea both drivers and you are correct it does seem like its saying speeding is the worst sin not a position i hold

I agree that the video suggests the speeder it more at fault than the other driver. But thats initial i would need to re-watch.

That's not the same as 'always the speeder's fault'.

Both are wrong, both are dead, the guy that was speeding made a conscious decision to drive that fast whereas the guy that pulled out in front of him made a mistake (due in part to the higher than normal closing speed of the speeder). As a motorcycle rider you should be well aware that other drivers can easily misjudge closing speeds.

It seems that some people in this thread feel that the right-of-way trumps self preservation (I really think that if someone is going to be driving/riding well above the speed limit then they forfeit the grounds to complain about people pulling out in front of them). Righteousness won't protect you from someone else's ****up.

The message of the video is showing what you can do to manage risk (ie slow down). You can't often prevent others from making mistakes but you can alter your own driving to reduce certain risks.

That's not the same as 'always the speeder's fault'.

Both are wrong, both are dead, the guy that was speeding made a conscious decision to drive that fast whereas the guy that pulled out in front of him made a mistake (due in part to the higher than normal closing speed of the speeder). As a motorcycle rider you should be well aware that other drivers can easily misjudge closing speeds.

It seems that some people in this thread feel that the right-of-way trumps self preservation (I really think that if someone is going to be driving/riding well above the speed limit then they forfeit the grounds to complain about people pulling out in front of them). Righteousness won't protect you from someone else's ****up.

The message of the video is showing what you can do to manage risk (ie slow down). You can't often prevent others from making mistakes but you can alter your own driving to reduce certain risks.

Point taken

The speed limit on a "single carriageway" (one lane each direction) in England is 60 mph (97 kph). It's half that, in a built up area, which it clearly isn't in the video. The dude in the sedan is doing a touch under 108 kph (67 mph). He would have to be doing a whole bunch less than 7 mph over the limit, to save this bonehead and his son from being punted out of the gene pool. Speed doesn't kill - stupid people do.

The speed limit on a "single carriageway" (one lane each direction) in England is 60 mph (97 kph). It's half that, in a built up area, which it clearly isn't in the video. The dude in the sedan is doing a touch under 108 kph (67 mph). He would have to be doing a whole bunch less than 7 mph over the limit, to save this bonehead and his son from being punted out of the gene pool. Speed doesn't kill - stupid people do.

Its not an english add. Its from NZ so the speed limit would but similar to ours 70kmh or 80kmh

Last edited:
Not to sound like a dick, but I Googled New Zealands speed limits and found this.

"Speed limits in New Zealand range up to and including 100 km/h. The most commonly seen are:

100 km/h, the current open road limit, is used in rural areas and on motorways, expressways and highways, as well as areas where there is little development on the roadside."

I believe the roadway in the video would fall under this category.

Not to sound like a dick, but I Googled New Zealands speed limits and found this.

"Speed limits in New Zealand range up to and including 100 km/h. The most commonly seen are:

100 km/h, the current open road limit, is used in rural areas and on motorways, expressways and highways, as well as areas where there is little development on the roadside."

I believe the roadway in the video would fall under this category.

who knows you would have ask a kiwi.. and I did yea 100 kmh on a back road. still not enough info in the video to say how fast the other driver is going. The point of the video is still valid.

Last edited:
You know you're living in the first world when you hate something that benefits you.

/threadjack

Another point to have in car dvr or blackboxes mandatory.
Finding the solution to the problem is what we can't do. So the next best thing is to know where or whom to blame.

This ad does absolutely nothing to get the point across.

O
How much time/distance do you save in braking by slowing from 100 kph to 90 kph, or even 110 kph to 100 kph i.e. 10 kph, in an emergency stop?
Work it out, it isn't linear.

If you're travelling at 60 mph (~96.56 kph) and can decelerate at 0.8 g, then you can stop in almost 150 feet. If the guy pulled out in front of you 150 feet away and you were travelling at 65 mph (~104.61 kph), how fast would you hit him?

~ 25 mph (40.23 kph)

reference: http://www.msgroup.org/Tip.aspx?Num=262&Set=

Why do you think old people drive so slow?
(They've had thousands of yahoos pull out on them, and their bodies are less able to tolerate a collision, so they don't play chicken).

Back
Top Bottom