came off bike, broken clavical | GTAMotorcycle.com

came off bike, broken clavical

zeniceguy

Came off the bike Nov 12 on some ice, its been 8 weeks and I still look like this today.

IMG_3503639018905.jpg
I have to go back in another six weeks for another x ray. If it doesn't get better I will need the surgery. Has anyone had the collar bone plates screwed in?

Ouch!

a buddy of mine broke his collar bone tripping on clutter on the floor of his house. At least you have a good story. He wore a sling for 13 weeks, no surgery, so your break is probably worse. Good luck with the healing!

Last edited:
There is a pretty big thread somewhere here about broken collarbones, has some good info in it

Broke the left side years ago and was dirt biking again in 3 weeks. I'm going to go back to work tomorrow but might be off again if I Ned the operation. Just wounded about the plate install

Came off the bike Nov 12 on some ice, its been 8 weeks and I still look like this today.

I have to go back in another six weeks for another x ray. If it doesn't get better I will need the surgery. Has anyone had the collar bone plates screwed in?

Good luck, have a couple plates in my forearm, not fun

Wow.. that sucks TJ hope you the best in your recovery and if possible avoid plates or screws, it sucks the 18 screws and two plates in my left leg tell me so every day

Wow.. that sucks TJ hope you the best in your recovery and if possible avoid plates or screws, it sucks the 18 screws and two plates in my left leg tell me so every day

I beg to differ.. I got a competent surgeon through administrative error.. The guy before him told me to just wear a sling. Had I continued doing that, my clavicle would have ended up significantly shorter and I would have lost a good amount of range of motion because of that. Instead, I had a plate put in, the bone healed properly and then I had it taken out. At 100% now, no issues WHATSOEVER, good as new. GET THE PLATE!!!

Get the plate.

I broke my left CB into 4 pieces and got it plated with 9 screws. I rarely feel any effects from it and Im sure I'd be worse off had I not had it plated.

I know a guy that had this same injury, got the plate, and he whines about it all the time. maybe some people are just tougher than others..

:agave:

I know a guy that had this same injury, got the plate, and he whines about it all the time. maybe some people are just tougher than others..

:agave:
lol I came in here to say the same thing about the same guy

Broke the left side years ago and was dirt biking again in 3 weeks. I'm going to go back to work tomorrow but might be off again if I Ned the operation. Just wounded about the plate install

lol we gettin older dude. we don't heal like we used to.

I beg to differ.. I got a competent surgeon through administrative error.. The guy before him told me to just wear a sling. Had I continued doing that, my clavicle would have ended up significantly shorter and I would have lost a good amount of range of motion because of that. Instead, I had a plate put in, the bone healed properly and then I had it taken out. At 100% now, no issues WHATSOEVER, good as new. GET THE PLATE!!!

Get the plate.

I broke my left CB into 4 pieces and got it plated with 9 screws. I rarely feel any effects from it and Im sure I'd be worse off had I not had it plated.

Keep in mind, each situation is different. There are various types of clavicle fractures.

In my situation, the fracture looked worse (short) at the beginning and gradually went back to full length naturally.
If I remember correctly, it took approximate 12 weeks to fuse. There are many factors to healing time also, age being one of them. You may have healed up in 3 weeks as a youth, but now you are getting getting up in the years. ;)

clavicle_xray_2_may.jpg

clavicle_xray_jun.jpg

clavicle_xray_3.jpg

I can't find the final xray, but it definitely looked better than the ones above and I have full range of motion.

What is your Orthopaedic surgeon saying?
If you want a second opinion, here is the guy I used.

Dr. Michael McKee
Hospital: St. Michael's Hospital
Phone: 416-864-5880
http://www.stmichaelshospital.com/research/profile.php?id=mckee&

I was bothered by the plate when putting heavy strain on the shoulder like when doing a bunch of bunches of pushups. That's why I had the plate taken out. 100% normal now

I was bothered by the plate when putting heavy strain on the shoulder like when doing a bunch of bunches of pushups. That's why I had the plate taken out. 100% normal now

I guess it depends on where exactly the plate is positioned. I did 180 pushups on Sunday.

For those of you that had the plate taken out, how was the recovery process? Quick and painless with no complications?

The plate on my ulna (inner forearm bone) is causing me some pain when lifting. My orthopedist offered to take it out, but not sure if another surgery is worth the risk.

Keep in mind, each situation is different. There are various types of clavicle fractures.

In my situation, the fracture looked worse (short) at the beginning and gradually went back to full length naturally.
If I remember correctly, it took approximate 12 weeks to fuse. There are many factors to healing time also, age being one of them. You may have healed up in 3 weeks as a youth, but now you are getting getting up in the years. ;)

View attachment 34065

View attachment 34066

View attachment 34067

I can't find the final xray, but it definitely looked better than the ones above and I have full range of motion.

What is your Orthopaedic surgeon saying?
If you want a second opinion, here is the guy I used.

Dr. Michael McKee
Hospital: St. Michael's Hospital
Phone: 416-864-5880
http://www.stmichaelshospital.com/research/profile.php?id=mckee&

++++1 Slap I agree.... Micheal Mckee is a fantastic orthopedic surgeon. One of the best in Canada he put my leg back together. The rotational fractures were so severe and numerous that no other surgeon in Ontario wanted to even attempt the surgery. The surgeon in Ottawa was discussing amputation and I the spend a week in hospital waiting to find someone capable and Mike and his drills stepped up LOL. I was told he goes to Iraq to train the America surgeons all the new procedures.

For me if the bones can heal properly even if it takes longer leave it be. Clavicles not so sure about but steel in your body just don't belong and you will feel it and it takes some time to become accustomed to.

Redger as for removing the steel it is basically a day operation no overnight stay but there is always a chance of infection of course the screw holes left behind must heal growing new bone but most with similar injuries as mine that I know of do very well after hardware removal.

Back
Top Bottom