What did you do to your Race/Track Bike today - 2014 | Page 51 | GTAMotorcycle.com

What did you do to your Race/Track Bike today - 2014

Dislike! That very sucks.

I just picked up the head from the machine shop. Ready for epoxy in the intake runners now. I also got some Kawi green engine enamel to paint the head before I re-install it. Just for fun.

Dislike! That very sucks.

I just picked up the head from the machine shop. Ready for epoxy in the intake runners now. I also got some Kawi green engine enamel to paint the head before I re-install it. Just for fun.

Atleast I have another month or so to finish this before I start putting the ZX10 back together and I don't have a race in a week.

I'm interested to see what your gains are with the diy work. You'd think with using one front tire all season you could have someone do it for you lol. I'm j/k, nothing feels better than saying "I did that". I've inquiered about having head work done to mine to see if it's in my budget but I doubt it.

No pics of the nice fancy head? I wish I took pics of mine before it was assembled.

Well I broke a bolt....in my cylinder head. There was some leftover sediment in one of the motor mount holes from when the cases were renickisilled and I didn't know untill I installed the motor. I thought I had it cleaned out and after getting the bolt 3/4 of the way into the motor by hand it jammed up. I went to remove the bolt and it jammed again. I guess some crap was knocked loose as the bolt went in and fell behind the threads so with blasting compressed air and wd-40 to try and loosen up the junk to hopefully clean the thread the bolt snapped. I'm pretty sure this bike is cursed. I'm not even going to attempt to fix it myself, the motors being dropped back out and the bolt will be drilled out by a professional. Just need to order a new bolt so they know how deep to go without damaging the cylinder head.
that sucks - I hope you are talking about the gsxr and not the zx10

that sucks - I hope you are talking about the gsxr and not the zx10

Ya the Gsxr but that motor has more money into it than I paid for the ZX10 as a street bike. Including the inital build cost of it and with my two rebuilds that thing should be plated in gold.

That's the gayest thing I've ever herd you say Tim lol

Want me to work on your head too? Not that there's anything wrong with that.

First bit of epoxying done to the #3 and #4 intake runners. I'm doing two at a time so I can measure and compare to the intake runners without epoxy. Once I'm happy with #4 I will make a plastic or wood guide that I can drop into each runner to ensure they are the same shape. The width of each runner will remain the same, I'm adding epoxy to the bottom and in the end my end is to have it throttled to 70% of the original height. Here's a pic from a member on zx-10r.net that did a lot of the pioneering work on this subject, this is what I'm shooting for:

DSC05139.jpg

Last edited:
I can't pass up racing bogie, and mosport(CTMP) is so muvh better than the last time I raced there. That is the only two I'm sure of. Still debating on regionals. In reality I will just be filming the race from the back. :) Better to finish last, than be a spectator.

Took out all the boingy and slurpy bits. Slurpy bits are going to Georgia tomorrow for revalving, and a mod to add compression damping adjustment. Coming home with stiffer springs too.

Attachments

• forks.jpg
    forks.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 52
Yes very!!! It took 4 sessions to build up sufficient thickness of epoxy. I have shaped the throttle body end of the intake now. I need to add more to the valve end then finish the shaping then it's all done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How do you get each successive layer of epoxy to bond enough to the last layer?
I have always wanted to try this.

I guess we should start a 2015 version of this thread, eh?

16437065711_3a64b4e64d_o.jpg

Yesterday I got my Brembo RCS that I ordered from Tony at the January show. :)
Last week I painted the tail, just need to clear coat it now.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom